Sleeping Car Attendants & Opposite Gender Passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jody

Train Attendant
What instructions are sleeping car attendants given for handling the opposite gender?

Where can the employee manual for sleeping car attendants be found online?

Does the OBS/Conductor pay closer attention to the sleeping car attendant's actions where the other gender is involved?

What tricks do the SCA use to increase tips?

What instructions are sleeping car attendants given for handling the opposite gender?
I'm not sure just what you mean by "handling the opposite gender", but I don't believe that they are given and special training or instructions. The attendants don't normally come into your room, unless you aren't there, like when you go to breakfast and they run in to return the room to it's daytime configuration. At night, they'll have you step out into the hall first, so that they have enough room to work while putting down your bed(s). Otherwise, they won't be in your room alone with you.

Where can the employee manual for sleeping car attendants be found online?
Never seen it. But if it is even online, then it's on Amtrak's protected site for employees, where we can't get to it.

Does the OBS/Conductor pay closer attention to the sleeping car attendant's actions where the other gender is involved?
I don't see how they could, since they are way too busy themselves. Unless a comlaint was registered, they wouldn't be paying attention to the sleeping car attendant at all, much less watching a female attendant working in a male passenger's room, or watching a male attendant in a female passenger's room.

Even though they are very different jobs, the analogy is appropriate for this situation. When you stay at a hotel for more than one night does the gender, nationality, or any other consideration come into effect when it comes to the housekeeper that will be cleaning your room? Or even a waiter? The answer most likely is no. Sleeper Attendants are no different. Many passengers keep their doors locked, and an attendant (like a housekeeper) will knock before entering the room (since you have to unlock the door). Many of the attendants have been around for a number of years, and have been in almost every situation imagineable. The odds of an attendant acting inappropriately are very low. The LSA in the diner is more likely to start taking cash out of the drawer, than there is for an incident to occur between a sleeping car attendant (or any other attendant) and a passenger.

As for the training manual being online, like Alan said that is not available, as training manuals for almost any other company aren't online either.

The Conductor doesn't pay any more attention to gender opposites, since usually half the car will be opposite the attendant. The Conductor's primary responsibility (contrary to popular belief) is to ensure the safe passage of the train from point A to point B. The attendant's car is the attendant's car. Unless someone complains the Conductor's usually leave them be.

What tricks do the SCA use to increase tips?
There are no tricks on Amtrak sleepers. If you have a good attendant he might set up ice and water in his own room. Some will bring you coffee without asking and some you will seldom see. It's a grab bag of people serving the public. Their attitude pretty much dictates what type of service you may receive. Unfortunately, I've been on trains where passengers from one car wondered where their attendant was while the other car's passengers raved about their attendant. I kinda compare the scenario to a taxi cab ride in a big city; you never know exactly who or what you will run into and what their attitude will be.

Asuming you might be a female traveling alone and be concerned about having a male attendant, it's really a non-issue. You have nothing to be worried about.

As for "tricks" for tips, I don't believe there are any. Generally speaking if they do their job properly and pleasantly, they should expect to be compensated accordingly. If they do their job poorly, well... There are no tricks that I'm aware of.

Given the quasi-governmental nature of Amtrak the employee manual is probably accessible through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

Given the quasi-governmental nature of Amtrak the employee manual is probably accessible through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.
Nope...... and if it is online, then it should be taken down (unless the company makes it available on its own). That is sensitive information for employees only. I know of know other companies who post their training information as well as rules, and regulations governing employees for the general public to see.

OBS gone freight....

Almost every transit oriented company is quasi government related. All transportation requires mass federal subsidy. Whether it's air travel, sea travel, road travel, or rail travel the government finances it in some fashion. The only difference is that there is little support for Amtrak. Amtrak is a private company, its stock just has very little value and isn't traded by the public.

Some years ago, Amtrak got Congress to make a bunch of their information unavailable for FOIA review, since other transportation companies were using it for profit.

What personal information, besides a name, does the manifest contain? Would one's address be on there? Type discount, if any?

Some years ago, Amtrak got Congress to make a bunch of their information unavailable for FOIA review, since other transportation companies were using it for profit.
My understanding is that Amtrak's inclusion within the Freedom of Information Act is relatively recent. Amtrak claimed that, as a private company, they were not covered. Now, by law, they are. There are seven specific exceptions to the FOA as applied to Amtrak, but those are similar to the exceptions that apply to government agencies.

What personal information, besides a name, does the manifest contain? Would one's address be on there? Type discount, if any?
Last manifest I saw showed first and last name and your room accommodation. It also indicated the two cities (or towns) that you were traveling between. There are also other parties names if the room should sell twice enroute. My understanding is that Riverside (reservations) keeps the personal info in their files but it is accessible to any station agent with a computer. Seems like an awfully lot of interrogation for a system that has worked fairly well for 36 years and many more before the advent of Amtrak.

I wonder what Jody is asking about here?

Are you concerned for your safety? You seem to be approaching Amtrak sleeping car attendants from a negative standpoint, asking about tricks, etc?

If you start out looking hard for faults, you are pretty sure to find some...

Ed. B)

Jody may have other issues that are private, or may have had a bad experience in the past with some other form of transportation. Having said that. There is no reason to fear the attendant. On every trip I have done { Over 55,000 miles } The attendant ask us to leave the room. One big reason for that. There is no room for anyone else in the room while the beds are being made up. We would ask for room to be made up while at dinner, if we had a later resevervation, or would go to the lounge or sometimes the attendant would just put us in another empty bedroom or roomette while they made up our room. Attendants are the luck of the draw. Dont worry and have a good trip. :D

I doubt a training manual would be available on-line. I ended up getting a copy of Amtrak's safety and training manual (atleast version of what's used by conductors and LSAs) ---- ONLY when I became a Trails and Rails Volunteer. And yes, inside there is some classified information that I would never share and have agreed never to share... as in codes to specific emergency situations that could happen on-board.... and detailed diagrams of the train consists. The only reason why they gave it to us is because T&R folks are supposed to help out if asked to by conductors if an emergency were to occur.

I don't think the general traveling public needs to know any of what's in there and it probably wouldnt be good if this stuff was common knowledge or out there for everyone to see.

My original post was in response to a trip taken. After reading your responses I believe that I was on the receiving end of a great deal more attention (for tips?, still my question) than is customary and for which most people would not complain. It was exceptional service. There was an instance of cheesy (an understatement) but very human behavior from an employee and I’m letting it go at that without disclosing the details and setting off a brouhaha. I am a very approachable person which is probably not wise on public transportation. In another situation one station agent followed me down the platform to apologize for another employee’s behavior (even though I was not offended). A dining room employee apologized for the wiseacre remark made by another employee obviously displaying symptoms of short-timer’s disease (indifference).

Experiences vary widely on Amtrak and a woman's may vary even more than a man's. I have read many posts on these forums and wondered if we were traveling the same company. Mine have certainly varied from some of yours. We have different concerns. Thank you everydaymatters for getting the point...and to whoever removed the fubar remark. The fubar comment provided an insight (albeit an age-old response) into one of the obstacles one would face if one pursued an issue.

I enjoy train travel and want to see it survive, and promote it to rental car people and people who've never tried it. Even in smaller towns, people aren't always aware that they have train service. Where Amtrak fails miserably is marketing its treasure.

Working for Amtrak cannot possibly be a piece of cake with the constant funding concerns, the delays, the ordeals faced by employees traveling to/fro besieged cities and dealing with boatloads of people under stress about their cities. Make that trainloads. To that end I hope that Amtrak has confidential assistance programs in place for employees to deal with the stresses (much like the Postal Service does). I do hope that all employees are trained to spot the symptoms of PTSD in each other. It is a phenomena occurring heavily in both Katrina survivors as well as the military. To say that, "you signed on with us and it's going to be tough" is not enough. I also hope that they have charitable programs in place for those who are experiencing other traumas to reduce the odds of an employee who might want to increase their income in unwise ways.

My concern with the manual was to find out for myself what is normal and what is not.

To caravanman: I did not start out looking for faults. Quite the opposite.

had8ley: A lot of change has occurred in 36 years. It's a different world and there are different constraints on the dissemination of information for good reason.

To the comment re:attendants being like housekeepers. I don't view them that way at all. They are more involved with you on a personal level. They know when you leave your room, what you are eating, if you're grouchy, if you're unhappy you didn’t find a hooker in the town you just left (yep, overheard it), what you say on the phone, your bodily functions, etc. When something makes you unsettled it makes you aware of just how much they do know about you. You are their concern in an accident. They likely know what you wear to sleep if you boogie down the hall in it after dark and clean up after men who miss as well as the stupid drunks. . They strike me as being possessed of greater discernment and discretion than the average bear, yet they are human. Many probably come out of the hospitality industry to Amtrak. Those from Reno, San Francisco or New Orleans may have a wider tolerance for behavior considered aberrant by Virginia, Missouri or Iowa. It doesn't surprise me that one would watch a couple in an intimate embrace in silence (another poster). Some are quite accomplished in their lives away from Amtrak and then some are probably lonely. I wasn't expecting to know that much. I thought it was just another form of transportation. In the end men are men and women are women regardless of their pursuits.

If there's a woman looking for guidance: Shut your door and close your curtains when your eyes are closed if the ac is working. Keep your purse tucked under you if you are sleeping or on your person at all times (advice from an employee- who reminded me that not all Amtrak employees are honest). If a he goes into the room across from you without appearing to settle in, shut your door or you may awaken as I did (not Mr. Cheesy) to find someone staring down at you. Being grouchy at that moment I told him to move his caboose elsewhere. Remember that your conversations carry. Discard your personal information (address and the like) away from your room. If you're carrying a magazine with your address on it, remove the address sticker. Know your personal boundaries before you get on the train, although the ones who need to hear this aren‘t likely to be reading this. Stay sober. Keep your mammaries under cover. Travel with the smaller carry ons (luggage) that can more easily be stowed out of site in your room. Read the safety instructions on the window, close your eyes and see if you can imagine doing them in the dark. If you want to know why, read the chilling story by the employee/survivor of the Amtrak that went into the swamp and described the scene as being straight from Dante's Inferno. Close your door curtain AND the window curtain when you want privacy and switch off most lights. This way you'll avoid mooning/flashing cars stopped at crossings in small towns and keep down your silhouette from the hallway.

Enjoy your trips.

Jody

Sounds like a stalker incident waiting to happen. This may make a good book or movie. I am wondering though can one be too paranoid? I guess since I am not a single man though I really don't quiite understand it all, but I guess if it was a gay attendent giving that kind of attention I would not feel comfortable.

thanks for sharing your views Jody ity is really an insight of how some things are precieved.

Jody - Thank you for the post you just gave us. One of the great strengths of this group is the diversity of membership and the VERY diverse experience of Amtrak travel - good and bad - that we collectively bring to the forum. While I hope that whatever the situation was that acted as the catalyst for this thread does NOT recur, I also very much hope that you will stay involved with us, and that we will continue to be blessed with your insight and very articulate writing.

This way you'll avoid mooning/flashing cars stopped at crossings in small towns and keep down your silhouette from the hallway.

This sentence reminded me of a humorous incident I had on a round-trip from Spokane to Portland last year. On the return trip, as the Empire Builder was stopped at the Wishram, WA, station, a large group of youngsters on bicycles got off their bikes and proceeded to moon the train. I missed it as I was half-comatose by that time but was fully awakened by the uproar. None of the kids could have been over 10 years old, and, as Wishram has a population of 200 (if that) I chalked it up as the kids having nothing better to occupy their minds. All of the passengers thought it was hilarious, and I wished I'd had my camera ready! Adults intending harm, of course, would have been a different story, but these kids meant no harm.

I too am a single male and wouldn't be at all comfortable should a homosexual attendant "favor" me with the type of attention Jody talked about. Homosexuality is fine but unwanted behavior isn't.

My original post was in response to a trip taken. After reading your responses I believe that I was on the receiving end of a great deal more attention (for tips?, still my question) than is customary and for which most people would not complain. It was exceptional service. There was an instance of cheesy (an understatement) but very human behavior from an employee and I’m letting it go at that without disclosing the details and setting off a brouhaha. I am a very approachable person which is probably not wise on public transportation. In another situation one station agent followed me down the platform to apologize for another employee’s behavior (even though I was not offended). A dining room employee apologized for the wiseacre remark made by another employee obviously displaying symptoms of short-timer’s disease (indifference).
Experiences vary widely on Amtrak and a woman's may vary even more than a man's. I have read many posts on these forums and wondered if we were traveling the same company. Mine have certainly varied from some of yours. We have different concerns. Thank you everydaymatters for getting the point...and to whoever removed the fubar remark. The fubar comment provided an insight (albeit an age-old response) into one of the obstacles one would face if one pursued an issue.

I enjoy train travel and want to see it survive, and promote it to rental car people and people who've never tried it. Even in smaller towns, people aren't always aware that they have train service. Where Amtrak fails miserably is marketing its treasure.

Working for Amtrak cannot possibly be a piece of cake with the constant funding concerns, the delays, the ordeals faced by employees traveling to/fro besieged cities and dealing with boatloads of people under stress about their cities. Make that trainloads. To that end I hope that Amtrak has confidential assistance programs in place for employees to deal with the stresses (much like the Postal Service does). I do hope that all employees are trained to spot the symptoms of PTSD in each other. It is a phenomena occurring heavily in both Katrina survivors as well as the military. To say that, "you signed on with us and it's going to be tough" is not enough. I also hope that they have charitable programs in place for those who are experiencing other traumas to reduce the odds of an employee who might want to increase their income in unwise ways.

My concern with the manual was to find out for myself what is normal and what is not.

To caravanman: I did not start out looking for faults. Quite the opposite.

had8ley: A lot of change has occurred in 36 years. It's a different world and there are different constraints on the dissemination of information for good reason.

To the comment re:attendants being like housekeepers. I don't view them that way at all. They are more involved with you on a personal level. They know when you leave your room, what you are eating, if you're grouchy, if you're unhappy you didn’t find a hooker in the town you just left (yep, overheard it), what you say on the phone, your bodily functions, etc. When something makes you unsettled it makes you aware of just how much they do know about you. You are their concern in an accident. They likely know what you wear to sleep if you boogie down the hall in it after dark and clean up after men who miss as well as the stupid drunks. . They strike me as being possessed of greater discernment and discretion than the average bear, yet they are human. Many probably come out of the hospitality industry to Amtrak. Those from Reno, San Francisco or New Orleans may have a wider tolerance for behavior considered aberrant by Virginia, Missouri or Iowa. It doesn't surprise me that one would watch a couple in an intimate embrace in silence (another poster). Some are quite accomplished in their lives away from Amtrak and then some are probably lonely. I wasn't expecting to know that much. I thought it was just another form of transportation. In the end men are men and women are women regardless of their pursuits.

If there's a woman looking for guidance: Shut your door and close your curtains when your eyes are closed if the ac is working. Keep your purse tucked under you if you are sleeping or on your person at all times (advice from an employee- who reminded me that not all Amtrak employees are honest). If a he goes into the room across from you without appearing to settle in, shut your door or you may awaken as I did (not Mr. Cheesy) to find someone staring down at you. Being grouchy at that moment I told him to move his caboose elsewhere. Remember that your conversations carry. Discard your personal information (address and the like) away from your room. If you're carrying a magazine with your address on it, remove the address sticker. Know your personal boundaries before you get on the train, although the ones who need to hear this aren‘t likely to be reading this. Stay sober. Keep your mammaries under cover. Travel with the smaller carry ons (luggage) that can more easily be stowed out of site in your room. Read the safety instructions on the window, close your eyes and see if you can imagine doing them in the dark. If you want to know why, read the chilling story by the employee/survivor of the Amtrak that went into the swamp and described the scene as being straight from Dante's Inferno. Close your door curtain AND the window curtain when you want privacy and switch off most lights. This way you'll avoid mooning/flashing cars stopped at crossings in small towns and keep down your silhouette from the hallway.

Enjoy your trips.

Jody
WOW !!! My only comment about the 36 years was the way Amtrak has manifested its trains. I'm sorry you take exception to what I thought was a legitimate answer to a legitimate question. I'm painfully aware that much has changed over those years~ it was one year short of my entire railroad career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back