Sleeper Refunds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXEagle

Service Attendant
My understanding of Amtrak's policy regarding refunds of sleeper accommodations is that they are fully refundable until 7 days before departure. From their website it seems that from 7 days prior until one actually boards the train you get a credit for future travel if you cancel sleeper accommodations.

If the ticket has not been printed is the rail fare refunded, or is that credited along with the sleeper fare?

Can sleeper accommodations be canceled by phone on the day of travel (prior to departure)?

Amtrak's website:

Sleeping car accommodation charge: Refundable if sleeping car reservations are cancelled at least seven days prior to departure. If cancelled fewer than seven days prior to departure, but before actual departure, the accommodation charge is not refundable but may be applied to future travel purchases by issuance of a non-refundable exchange voucher. If not cancelled before actual departure ("no show"), the accommodation charge is neither refundable nor may it be applied to future travel. The sleeping car non-refundability penalty will not be imposed if the customer chooses to cancel on account of the train being late two hours or more at the boarding station.

The information on the home page of the National Association of Railroad Passengers confuses the issue:

Canceling Accommodations If you cancel your sleeping car reservation at least 7 days before train departure, you can get a full refund of the accommodations charge. If it's less than 7 days, but more than 24 hours, you get a full-value credit for future travel. But if you don't cancel sleeper space within 24 hours of train departure, you get nothing. Club seats (first class or business class) canceled more than one hour before train time are refundable; otherwise, those canceled by train time can be applied to another train on the same day only.

Is it true that you must cancel sleeper accommodations 24 hours prior to boarding?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me!

AFAIK, the sleeper can be cancelled up to train time, for a full credit of the accommodation charge (full credit or refund prior to 7 days out), but the rail fare portion is always refundable. (As long as the tickets were not printed. If so, it would be a full credit or 90% refund.)

AFAIK, the sleeper can be cancelled up to train time, for a full credit of the accommodation charge (full credit or refund prior to 7 days out), but the rail fare portion is always refundable. (As long as the tickets were not printed. If so, it would be a full credit or 90% refund.)
That's my understanding too, and it what's printed in the time tables and online.

That's my understanding too, and it what's printed in the time tables and online.
Thanks to both of you - that's what I thought. Then I stumbled upon the NARP information page and wasn't sure. I'm thinking of booking a trip that I might have to cancel up to the very last minute and I wanted to be sure I'd still have a credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back