Sleeper fire in PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Must have been electrical?
smiley_36.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a stand-by sleeper located in Portland?

The story stated the sleeper was not attached to the train and was sitting by itself.

So either the maintainer crew did something, and pull the equipment apart to prevent more than one car from burning, or a spare car caught fire.

Reports of a homeless people live in or around the station.

Not point the blame, just don't know the equipment, and staffing levels at Portland.

There is no standby Sleeper in Portland and the SCA is Chicago based.( one of the worst SCAs I ever had, Courtney, was on #28)

Several times I've done the PDK-SPK trip in Coach due to a bad ordered #28 Sleeper, and then had a Roomette on #8 from SPK-CHI.

Last time I was there they had two full sets of equipment for 27/28 at the station, and that was before the train arrived that day.

Last time I was there they had two full sets of equipment for 27/28 at the station, and that was before the train arrived that day.
Was this during last years oil tanker/trackwork meltdown when an extra Superliner trainset was cobbled together for the Builder? I know its not available now, and wasn't it serviced in Seattle, not Portland?

The car was cut-off by the outbound #28 train crew while the fire was ablaze. By the time they were notified of the fire it was too far gone to attempt using fire extinguishers but they were able to pull the rest of the train away.

A thread on Trainorders states that some carry-on luggage was damaged (it was pre-loaded on behalf of passengers in the Met Lounge). It sounds like the car is basically a complete loss.

To another comment, I highly doubt it was due to transients. Yes, there are a lot in that general vicinity, but the area immediately surrounding the station is fenced and would have a lot of train crew members around in advance of a departure. But it would be interesting to see what/if an investigation finds.

A thread on Trainorders states that some carry-on luggage was damaged (it was pre-loaded on behalf of passengers in the Met Lounge). It sounds like the car is basically a complete loss.

To another comment, I highly doubt it was due to transients. Yes, there are a lot in that general vicinity, but the area immediately surrounding the station is fenced and would have a lot of train crew members around in advance of a departure. But it would be interesting to see what/if an investigation finds.
Hoverboard! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back