Sleeper Accomodation Name Change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
There was a rumor posted on Trainorders, from a member who I believe is an Amtrak employee; that the names of sleeper accomadation (Standard Bedroom, Deluxe Bedroom, etc) are going to be changed on November 1. Standard Bedrooms are to be renamed Roomettes and Deluxe Bedrooms are to be renamed to Bedrooms. I would think that Accessible Bedrooms and Family Bedrooms would keep their names respectively.

The accomadation names, Roomette and Bedroom, are a throw back to the old 10-6 Heritage sleepers. A Roomette was a small room designed for one passenger; the room included a seat, a bed that dropped down from the ceiling, as well as in room facilities. A Bedroom was a larger room designed for two passengers; the room included either two seats or a large sofa seat, two beds that dropped down from the wall, as well as enclosed in room facilities.

IMHO, I feel that the name change is a wrong move if it does take affect. For one a Roomette cannot be compared to a Standard Bedroom. While the Standard Room is about the same size as a Roomette it does hold two passengers, compared to a one passenger Roomette, plus only on the Viewliners can you find in room facilities. Now while a Deluxe Bedroom is quite similar to a Bedroom, the Deluxe Bedroom is a bit larger and could hold more than 2 passengers (I’ve seen families of 4 fit into these rooms). At the same time I’ve always felt that Standard Bedroom can be a bit miss leading. While it does hold two passengers, it is a tight squeeze, and is much more comfortable when traveling solo. Up until 1997, or so, Standard Bedrooms were called Economy Bedrooms, but the price did not fit to well with the word ‘economy’.

That is all news to me!!! That is probably just as you stated with the "fourth" word in your post. It is probably just "rumor!" If I get anything that is in any way reliable (and can actually release such info), I'll let y'all know. :D :lol:

Out of pure admitted selfishness I hope they keep the names as they are.

For persons like me who grew up on equipment the same as or similar to what later became known as "heritage cars", it would screw up my record keeping (.....I know.. I know... for what that is worth.....) To show myself as having traveled in roomettes in the past, then revive the word for something else......

Actually when the Vewliners first came out the small room was called a compartment. That was misleading because in the pre-Amtrak days a compartment was almost exactly what a deluxe bedroom is today, a room which had both a sofa and a seat during the day.No shower, of course.

So my records show me as having ridden a "compartment" a time or two,(i.e. on a Viewliner) when it was later to to become a standard bedroom, and I never actually rode on an old-designation compartment at all.

Kind of confusing. Of course guess itis more important to focus on what terms would make sense for travelers TODAY, not just my ancient private record-keeping.

And BTW Amfleet, I read that rumur on some forum or another the other day also, so who knows, they there may be some truth to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back