Sleeper accommodation discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to decide between a bedroom vs. a roomette. I understand that bedrooms have the bathroom/shower inside the room, but not the roomette. Also Amtrak says that the bedroom is twice the space of the roomette. However, what I am trying to understand is if there is a difference in the sleeping arrangements of a bedroom, vs. a roomette. I find the upper bunk of a roomette quite uncomfortable nowadays (thoguh I last used it in 2019), and I have never been in an Amtrak bedroom. I guess I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra cost on the Eastbound CZ.
Although I am "small," I almost always travel in a bedroom when traveling overnight because of the restroom facilities. Because bedrooms have become more expensive, especially on the Silvers, I am traveling less often.

The Grounded Life Travel series on YouTube is a good way to get a look at some of the different accommodations both in Superliners and Viewliners. In each video they spend some time going over the features of the room they are traveling in.
Of all the reviewers they have covered every accommodation in more detail, including the H room which they received on a recent trip.

Of all the reviewers they have covered every accommodation in more detail, including the H room which they received on a recent trip.
And Mr. "Grounded Life" measures all of those top bunks, so viewers (esp. men) will have a better idea of how comfortable they will be for taller passengers.

Thanks, I was just concerned that it might be too close to the shared restroom and the stairs.
It is close to the restroom, coffee station and the stairs. But it a full roomette away from the restroom, two roomette sized spaces away from the stairs. It’s also three roomettes away from the end doors. There plus and minus to every thing. You’re in a good spot. Enjoy your trip.

I only rode on a bedroom once on The City of New Orleans because the cost was about $400 from Chicago to New Orleans, by far the cheapest bedroom for a full Length trip on any Amtrak route, I usually travel alone and as much as I would love the extra space and a bathroom I cannot justify paying $1000 and up. When I see bedrooms priced at $2000, I m amazed people will pay it,but many do.Being retired and very flexible in my dates I m always looking for lower prices. I have done bid ups. Maybe one of these days my bid will be accept. I usually bid $20 over the lowest price.

My wife and myself always travel overnight in bedroom accommodations. My wife is 6' tall and I am 5'11" so the extra space is needed. I am a senior and appreciate the bathroom for breaks being close by. The cost of bedrooms has gone up rapidly in recent years and going cross county could cost you $6,000 or more. Its a high price to pay bu we bite the bullet once a year. We will buy a one way trip going for cash with a companion coupon and one way returning for points. Its still rather expensive but we refuse to fly as we have had too many bad experiences where the "friendly" airport TCA treats you like a convict. Prefer to be in a station with friendly sniffing dogs that are actually excellent at finding contraband.

From experience, 2 persons of average girth who like each other can sleep together in the lower berth of a full bedroom or family bedroom. If you have ever shared a twin bed as an adult these lowers are an inch wider. The roomette is impossible for 2 in one berth.

My wife and I have mastered making the family bedroom more comfortable for two on the bottom level by opening the lower child's bunk, which lengthens the lower bunk to over 9'. We use the full 9'+ and sleep feet to feet. Remember to stuff extra pillows or blankets [from above] in the crack formed by the ell to make a level bed for its entire length.

Often two roomettes are cheaper than one bedroom or one family room. Often the family bedroom is cheaper than the full bedroom. The full bedroom is, of course, the only one en suite.

That is great advice. My wife and I are long-time roomette customers. We have had friends constantly tell us, "Once you try a bedroom, you will never go back." Well, we have tried bedrooms from time to time and they were fine but we have gone back to roomettes many times because they are often much more affordable for us than a bedroom. That is our subjective opinion.
I would like to say that is true. But the cost makes it not the case.

My wife and I could not sleep together in the lower berth in a Bedroom. She has had a lot of injuries--thrown from a horse and hit her head, jumped from a helicopter and twisted her knee... She uses a lot of pillows, for one thing. We sleep in a king bed at home, and in our twenty years together have slept in a queen bed once that I can remember.

If I ever win the lottery and travel Prestige Class on the Canadian, I'll also book a Cabin for One for me to sleep in while she gets the Prestige bed, which I believe is smaller than a queen size.

Facts of life: The roomette and the "bedroom" are both bunk beds (upper and lower). My wife and I are 80 and 82, so forget the climbing up and down like a monkey. One "Bedroom" often costs twice the price of two roomettes. I'm a early to bed/early to rise person. My wife is the opposite. We have done 8 overnight trips in 2 roomettes across the aisle from each other.

Read back in this topic for many opinions, but the bottom line, literally, is how much you want to pay for more space. Most Amtrak accommodations are quite expensive these days, as there is a shortage of equipment and a surplus of people with enough money to be able to buy what they want. That's not a judgemental thing, there are many people that can afford to fly in first (or upscale business) class on airlines and do so. You didn't say in your post if there are one or two of you, which is the first but not only consideration. In the old days I've found real deals in the larger bedroom even when travelling by myself, but that's not likely today.

Take a look at the costs, and be sure to check several days before and after, as prices can vary widely. Amtrak uses a similar yield program to airplanes and cruise ships, where they set a medium price a year or so in advance and then move it up or down depending on how many sell. If you get lucky you may find a very unpopular day (Super Bowl, anyone?) and the price will be on the more reasonable side.

In terms of "value", only you can make that decision. Frankly, I can get a cheap flight somewhere and save a ton of money by not getting an Amtrak sleeping car room. I could spend that money on other aspects of my vacation or my general life. But I really enjoy riding trains, so splurge on rooms whenever possible.

I'm not sure what topic it was in, but someone posted some example "hourly" rates for a ride in a sleeping car, and it was surprisingly reasonable, around $25 or so an hour for the experience. If you really enjoy trains (or really hate flying), it will be worth it.

Back