Single-level dorm car in 2008?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
Ok, this is me going into my wayback machine, but on my first trip on the LSL, I recall being put in a single-level half-dorm car (there was a curtain across the hall partway through the car for the crew dorm). This would have been in December, 2008 (I was going to Iowa at the time, so it wasn't going to be any earlier). I swear it had something like "transition dorm" on the door, which makes no sense to me now seeing as we were out of NYP (and I wondered just what it was at the time).

Does anyone have any idea what was up with this? Was it perhaps some odd heritage car that got thrown in the mix and that some passenger space got allocated to during the peak of the peak? Is my memory failing me?

Ok, this is me going into my wayback machine, but on my first trip on the LSL, I recall being put in a single-level half-dorm car (there was a curtain across the hall partway through the car for the crew dorm). This would have been in December, 2008 (I was going to Iowa at the time, so it wasn't going to be any earlier). I swear it had something like "transition dorm" on the door, which makes no sense to me now seeing as we were out of NYP (and I wondered just what it was at the time).

Does anyone have any idea what was up with this? Was it perhaps some odd heritage car that got thrown in the mix and that some passenger space got allocated to during the peak of the peak? Is my memory failing me?
I'm thinking your memory is failing you.

What did the room look like?

I'll try and pull up a picture at some point (I believe that I managed to get a few pictures of the train). I don't remember anything radically different about it, but it was also my first sleeper trip (so noticing anything "off" would have been a bit hard). I do remember being surprised at having a toilet in the room, etc.

Let me go ahead and ask: What should I have seen/noticed if the car wasn't a standard Viewliner?

Viewliners have two rows of windows in each room. No other car type does.

Heritage dorms, even if one was some how still in service in late 2008, would not have been sold as public space. There would barely be enough room for the full crew as it is.

It was almost certainly a Viewliner you rode, perhaps with a makeshift partition to separate the crew space from revenue space (since the sleepers double as dorm cars for the time being, until new cars are delivered).

Ill agree with the other posters that either your memory played tricks on you and you rode ina Heritage sleeper earlier than 2008, or else you were in a Viewliner with a curtain rigged up (similar to the one on the Superliner Trans Dorms that seperates crew from revenue pax!)to seperate the revenue rooms from the crew! As was said,The Double Windows on the Viewliner is the key to what type car you rode in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had it been a Heritage crew dorm, the roomette bed would have pulled out 90 degrees from the wall vertically, like a Murphy bed. The toilets were removed when they made the conversions, too, so...

I'm thinking it was simply an odd Viewliner situation. For the record, the only reason I was guessing "heritage" was the unusual split in the roomettes (with the divider), which I have yet to see again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back