Single-level baggage cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The baggage car on the rear of the Crescent, was pretty empty.....the whole way. I would think the half baggage/dorm cars would be much better utilized. Maybe its more full at other times. Heck, they could turn half the business class car into a baggage car, it only had 4-8 people it in the whole way too. I spent a lot of time in there, to get out of the roomette for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that if the Card went daily it would need 4 sets, perhaps I'm wrong on that. I believe it is 2 in the present 3 day a week form.
I was under the impression that if the Card went daily it would need 4 sets, perhaps I'm wrong on that. I believe it is 2 in the present 3 day a week form.
The present schedule is very inefficient for equipment use. Notwithstanding maintenance needs, you could operate with three sets for a daily service.
The 2010 Cardinal PIP says that only 3 train sets are needed for a daily Cardinal.
Sorry. We had a very authoritative post here, by someone who really knows stuff I mean, that Amtrak had decided it couldn't risk the Cardinal on the On Time Performance of its host railroad. So it will go daily, or NOT, alas, as a four train-set train.

But a daily Cardinal using four train-sets has much higher costs ... The numbers are sweet with three, but with four they go sour.

Maybe someday, the OTP of CSX will improve. Also, Indiana has a study in its files (LOL) claiming that a lousy $250 million would take 29 minutes out of Indy-CHI, and vice versa, allowing another hour of turn time in New York. Another CREATE Project in Chicago would take off more minutes. Upgrading Cincy-Indy-CHI to mostly 110-mph all together would save about 3 hrs each way, giving 6 more hours in NYC for turning.

(I'm not predicting that money will soon materialize for a couple more Midwestern 110-mph corridors. But ya never know. Who can predict our future government officials or their policy today?)

The baggage car on the rear of the Crescent, was pretty empty.....the whole way. I would think the half baggage/dorm cars would be much better utilized. Maybe its more full at other times. Heck, they could turn half the business class car into a baggage car, it only had 4-8 people it in the whole way too. I spent a lot of time in there, to get out of the roomette for a while.

And, I can neither confirm, nor deny, the baggage car was wide open and accessible en route, and an unlocked rear door, when open is vastly superior to the regular "railfan window".......
I can imagine one would be put off at the next stop by the conductor if caught inside of a baggage car.

And, I can neither confirm, nor deny, the baggage car was wide open and accessible en route, and an unlocked rear door, when open is vastly superior to the regular "railfan window".......
I can imagine one would be put off at the next stop by the conductor if caught inside of a baggage car.
If they were lucky...remember that unlocked rear door...

This.

Thanks for all the replies.

I realize that not all passengers check their bags, either because they don't have large bags to begin with, they store them in the coach and sleeper cars or because their origin and/or destination stations don't offer checked bag service.

I was just wondering IF all passengers on a given single-level train WERE able to check their bags, how full a bag car would be.

I was just wondering IF all passengers on a given single-level train WERE able to check their bags, how full a bag car would be.

I've seen this occur. When the WPB student special operates, each person checks a bag or two and the car is stuffed. It takes a caravan of U-hauls to cart their luggage to the hotel. You might not have to wonder as I may be in WAS when the next WPB student special operates. If our paths cross, I will take a picture.

Last time I rode the SWC #3 in the Summer, a Large contingement of Scouts and their Leaders were aboard, and the Heritage Bag Car was jammed full of Bags,Backpacks etc.

That's the only time I've ever seen a full Bag Car on an Amtrak LD Train.

I have notice that the Texas Eagles generally have the Doors open on the New Bag Cars when they arrive in Austin since Austin is a popular Station for Checked Bags.

Yes, you may all be correct, it's a possibility. But that would require an employee to get up out of the cafe car table and take a walk, and we both know that's just not going to happen.....besides, I was just wandering around, no sign, and not locked.....how was I to know any better? thanks for setting me straight though!

I've seen plenty of baggage cars with the door open, and I have never, ever seen one that even looked remotely full. But assuming that it gets really crazy I'd think it could accommodate all passengers' bags should they start stacking them like on the cargo hold of a plane.
ONCE, as in literally one exact time, I saw one loaded that much. It was the westbound Capitol Limited a couple days before Christmas in 2013 or 2014 at Pittsburgh. There was quite a mighty pile inside that car.

Every other time on every other train that I've seen inside the baggage car from the platform was more like "here's a suitcase bouncing around on its lonesome."
I've seen some pretty heavy baggage loads, including two luggage trolleys of luggage loaded and three luggage trolleys of luggage taken off at Syracuse (during June, IIRC). Using the shelves to their full capacity that takes up a bit less than half a car, but that is for Syracuse alone. But of course the LSL has *two* baggage cars, so they still end up being half-full.

Back