Silver Star Service 92 Fort Lauderdale to NYP November 16th

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello friends!

Having spent months and a good few dollars getting a bedroom on this train, my wife and myself were floored by the news that we will in fact be taking a 10 hour bus ride from FLL to Jacksonville to pick up the train.

As we will be disembarking a cruise ship after a 3 week trip any advice, tips, guidance and reassurance you good people can provide would be most greatfully accepted!

We are particularly concerned about stowing our baggage and refreshments.

Also is there any likliehood of financial compensation for what I am sure will be considerable inconvenience!

HELP!

An Englishman a long way from home!

Since you're in a sleeper. You'll get meals included in your sleeper fare. The meals are very tasty and well prepared by well trained cooks.

I'll give you some advice on your baggage. Check it! :) I think it's now 2 free bags per ticketed passenger. Although I'm not sure if Fort Lauderdale offers Checked Bags. But if they do check em!

New York can be a zoo. My nickname for it is well, "The Zoo". Red caps are the best option there.

If you have alcoholic beverages they can be consumed only in Sleepers. Not in coach.

In DC you'll lose power as they change from Diesel to Electric power. Be advised that when the engine change is completed and the "Ok" is given no matter the time of arrival the train will depart. You can even arrive into NYP early! :) The one time I took the Silver Star north I was offered a lite dinner. So there's a chance you'll get dinner.

The fact that you have to ride from South Fla to North Fla just sucks. But it happens. Although I'm very surprised that 3 days after the schedule adjustment ends the train is Bustituting.

Many thanks for the quick response.

What should we expect of the bus journey?

Can we stow carry ons inside?

How frequent are comfort..refreshment stops?

Do they usually use Interstate routes?

Do Amtrak have their own buses dedicated to this mode of transport?

Thanks again,

It's odd that there isn't an Amtrak status alert for this bustitution.

The bustitution is most likely due to work for the commuter rail system in Orlando (SunRail), which will keep causing disruptions until the end of 2015. They seem to like doing weekend "blockades", unfortunately.

Amtrak charters buses. Everyone on the bus will be in the same position as you are -- connecting to the train.

These are generally "over the road coaches" with seats above a baggage compartment. There is usually room for smaller carryons (1 per person) inside, under the seat in front of you, like an airplane, but not much more -- larger carryons must go in the baggage compartment along with the checked luggage.

The quality of the bus service varies a lot depending on what part of the country you're in and I don't know who Amtrak charters its buses from in Florida.

It will be more like an 8 hour bus ride than a 10 hour bus ride, though, there's that, and it will certainly go on the Interstate.

Unfortunately you'll be waiting for the bus at the "temporary" Fort Lauderdale station, a tiny shack next to the regular station which is under construction... just to add to the unpleasantness...

I don't know if Amtrak will provide any compensation in this case; I've had compensation when my sleeper was completely cancelled and replaced by a bus from end to end, but yours is only being cancelled *partway*, so I don't know.

Many thanks for the quick response.

What should we expect of the bus journey?

Can we stow carry ons inside?

How frequent are comfort..refreshment stops?

Do they usually use Interstate routes?

Do Amtrak have their own buses dedicated to this mode of transport?

Thanks again,
I couldn't tell you what they will do for rest stops and meals. I'm sure they will have something up their sleeve though. You should be able to take a small carry on. Buses have small overheads. The buses will be from a Bus Company that Amtrak will have contracted out for it.

In your room their will be a small overhead compartment that can hold a backpack, camera bag, and a purse. That's a Roomette, numbered rooms. If your in a Bedroom, lettered rooms, there is another place for carry ons on top of the shower/toliet room.

Most likely you won't be on the bus for 10 hours. From what I've heard they usually will make the stops in South Florida and then run a bus "express" up 95 since there's at least a bus loads worth of people getting on the train from South Florida in Jacksonville. The good news about that for you is that you'll get to be in the station for awhile so you can stretch out and not be crammed on the bus. Since you said you're coming off from a cruise I presume you'll be getting on to 92, I'd be a bit surprised (shocked really) if you got dinner on the train, so I'd be prepared for that. If you're taking 98 you should get dinner shortly after departure from Jacksonville. Also, if they haven't made mention of it you should be asking for a refund on the balance on your sleeping car accommodations between Ft. Lauderdale and JAX.

I was bused from Jacksonville to Winter Haven recently due to track work. I think it only occurs on weekends.

I was booked in a roomette and received from Amtrak an updated e-ticket showing the bus and a refund for

the roomette & meals. It was an email, so you may want to check your email to see if you received a new

e-ticket and notification of a partial refund.

The bus, or coach, was comfortable and somewhat enjoyable for me. The passengers were only Amtrak

passengers. We stopped at Amtrak stations in the sequence that the train would have taken. All in all,

I enjoyed the bus trip.

If the past is any precedent, they may bus you from FLL to Orlando where they can consolidate some of the local stops into an express run to Jacksonville. At least that is what they did on a previous trip from Deerfield Beach.

The trip included a rest stop before Orlando and one before Jacksonville.

My deepest sadness for this bustitution. This is a significant portion (almost a 1/3) of your journey, not to mention one missed meal. I would call Amtrak and ask to speak with Guest Relations. Kindly explain that you will miss a 1/3 of your accomodation factor and a meal for the two of you and ask for that much to be credited back. They may oblige; they may not. They are generally pretty agreeable, however. THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE BEFORE YOU TRAVEL. Often times, all they can do after the fact is offer a voucher. This will do you no good if you aren't planning to be in the US in the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back