Silver Meteor #97 Between New York and Washington

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My additional question in my original post was: what about dinner for the Sleeping Car guests who expected to have "Dinner in the Diner" since the train arrived so late?
Every time I have waited for the southbound Silver Meteor in WAS, and the train was over an hour late, an attendant in the Club Acela has offered every sleeping car passenger $25 cash in lieu of dinner on the train. The attendant visited every passenger and asked them if they would like $25 for dinner. The attendant would then require the passenger to sign a waiver of some sort stating that they received cash instead of dinner. The Meteor passengers could then purchase dinner in the station and were permitted to eat in the lounge (which is normally not permitted). However, I have not experienced such a delay in the last few months, so that procedure may have been changed.
I wonder if that's just the practice for passengers in WAS? Whenever I've missed a meal due to a tardy train at any other station, they never offered us anything.
When the northbound Meteor has been considerably late into Orlando (and lunch will be missed), the last few times, pizza was ordered for sleeping car passengers. A few years ago, when there was a cafe across the street from the station, sleeping car passengers were given vouchers for lunch at the cafe (max. $10, I believe). I spoke to passengers boarding in Kissimmee (the station before Orlando) and they had not been offered lunch on my most (late) recent trip in June.

Last edited by a moderator:
Otherwise one has to call Customer Relations to be compensated for Missed Meals etc.
I think that's what most people usually do (including us).
When do you call Customer Relations about such a situation? While waiting on the train? Or after the trip?
Afterwards. That way you can tell them exactly what happened and they can’t say that the issue will be dealt with anyway or that it will resolve itself.

Otherwise one has to call Customer Relations to be compensated for Missed Meals etc.
I think that's what most people usually do (including us).
When do you call Customer Relations about such a situation? While waiting on the train? Or after the trip?
Afterwards. That way you can tell them exactly what happened and they can’t say that the issue will be dealt with anyway or that it will resolve itself.

Thank you for the advice. I surely hope I will not find myself in such a situation.

Back