Sign Online Petition to Save Amtrak LD Service

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by tommylicious, Jun 30, 2017.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jul 3, 2017 #26

Don Newcomb

D

Don Newcomb

Lead Service Attendant

IMHO, online petitions do no good a all. A better use of your time would be to send an e-mail to your congress-critters. A much better use of your time would be to write a letter or show up at a town hall meeting during the holiday break.

2. Jul 4, 2017 #27

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

That's why God made disposable email addresses. Work wonders. Especially with the add-on in Firefox by Abine (Blur).

3. Jul 4, 2017 #28

Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Conductor

Who exactly in power and authority, has agreed to take positive action on the behalf of Amtrak, if "x" number of people sign this partition?

4. Jul 7, 2017 #29

MiniMax

MiniMax

MiniMax

Train Attendant

The GOP has tried for years to kill Amtrak. It looks more and more like they will finally succeed.

5. Jul 7, 2017 #30

LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Lead Service Attendant

I don't think that will happen. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that many GOP'ers really like Amtrak and DON'T want it to go away.

6. Jul 7, 2017 #31

BCL

BCL

BCL

Conductor

Amtrak and the Essential Air Service are actual popular in more rural, conservative leaning areas.

What's the expression? All politics are local.

7. Jul 7, 2017 #32

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

&

Supporting a taxpayer funded passenger rail network like Amtrak already makes you a "radical" to those who are against it. You can either join forces with other radicals to achieve a common goal or you can limit your support until it's too isolated to matter.

The term "liberal" didn't develop a bad connotation out of nowhere. It was systemically demonized for decades until it carried a connotation so far beyond the realm of reality that it poisoned virtually any discussion with which it was involved. Your faux ignorance wipes away any semblance of objectivity.

If you really want to save LD trains, the best thing you can do is vote and volunteer for politicians who share your desire to fund and protect them.

What we're witnessing is a battle between wanting Amtrak to stay but voting for Amtrak to go. Take a wild guess which of those two sides is going to win.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
  8. Jul 8, 2017 #33

Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Conductor

If you can find a politician who actually cares about Amtrak outside of the NEC and LOSSAN running on an electable ticket, cool. I'm shocked, but cool. Otherwise you can deal with the regular ordinary politicians who don't actually give a R. Norvigicus's bum hole about something as irrelevant to both the budget and 95% of his constituents as Amtrak is.

The idea is to inform the politician who doesnt care that there is a sizable number of potential constituents who would be mighty pleased if he was to throw Amtrak a few more little bitty crumbs. Since the ask is so small and the offense so little, you got a shot.

9. Jul 8, 2017 #34

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

Exactly. You said it better than I could.

10. Jul 11, 2017 #35

Woodcut60

W

Woodcut60

Service Attendant

Isn't it more effective to contact your Representative/Senator in Washington, DC? That is what the NARP is encouraging people to do. In Portland's Metropolitan Lounge there were flyers with this text: "Call Congress...be sure to provide your ZIP code, and speak to your Representative, as well as both Senators."

11. Jul 11, 2017 #36

Ryan

Ryan

Ryan

Conductor

It’s probably most effective to do both. ;)

12. Jul 21, 2017 #37

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

&
    How curious that someone who seems to freak out over the relatively minor loss of privacy from signing a pro-Amtrak petition happily relays his real name, personal phone number, financial details, precise location, and travel history to a company that has been caught actually misusing and abusing such information. My only question is if your hypocrisy is proudly intentional or merely by accident?

13. Jul 21, 2017 #38

A Voice

A

A Voice

OBS Chief

Lucifer, as you go to and fro in the forums seeking whom you may correspond with, you are going to find people are contradictory - and that includes you and me, if we're honest. Usually we can articulate some reason for our statements, but sometimes the person themselves cannot tell you why they hold a particular position, value, or opinion. Members of a fundamental, bible-believing church will vehemently (and correctly, I'd argue) oppose contemporary music within a church service, then get in their car and turn on a pop music radio station. Someone on a strict diet, too tired after working all week to even cook, will order a large pizza. After eating five or six slices, they'll then go out for ice cream and an evening on the town.

Granted, while technically hypocritical, I don't think such behaviors rise to the level of being called a hypocrite. And in the case of Uber, I doubt most of us have expert (or any) knowledge of the extent of their privacy protections (if we're that paranoid about privacy, the internet may not be the best place for us.....). If we avoided any company or institution 'caught' with such issues, we'd eventually have nobody left to do business with. Finally, there are valid reasons for not wanting your name or personal information associated with "Move On" which have nothing to do with privacy protection and everything to do with the positions they stand for. We might not be aware of Uber's indiscretions, but Move On's are right there on public display.

Of course, in no way do I mean to speak for City of Miami. But the point is valid.