Shoes on seat - Yay or nay?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I find this rude and dirty, but I see lots of "clean" people do it. Maybe I am being too petty, what do you think? I certainly would not do it at home, so why do it at a public place where you should be extra careful about keeping things clean that are not yours..

It's a combination of two things IMHO:

1. The attitude of too many that the couch is not their couch or chair so therefore they don't care about the consequences.

2. A general decline over the years in public manners and standards in many areas. There were two men--not kids, not boys but men--who got on the Surfliner the other day shirtless. How would you like to sit in the seats after they vacated them with their sweat??

I think a consistent announcement by conductors about keeping feet off of seats would help but so many conductors make the minimum announcement these days that a comprehensive greeting for passengers about a train's amenities, and the dos and don'ts of ridership now surprises me!

I usually tend to hoist my feet onto the opposite Roomette seat, but only after taking off my shoes and laying a newspaper, towel or something on the seat.

If you see this in coach, maybe you can mention it to the coach attendant. If it's in a roomette or sleeper, it's more private, I suppose.

This GMA article reports some pretty gross findings that are not a surprise to most of us. Tested shoe soles were dirtier than a toilet seat according to a U of A researcher, and 9 out of 10 shoes tested positive for coliform bacteria. Anyone putting their shoes on the seats of Amtrak's trains should be called out on the spot. If one wishes to avoid confrontation, please ask a crew member to speak to the offender. People should know better, but...

I absolutely put my feet up on the sofa at home and do so on the train - but always without shoes on.

When I slept in coach on the SWC, my feet were on the seat next to me, but I also took my shoes off. Then again, as soon as I got on the train I took my shoes off and put on slippers.

I have not ridden in coach, but I put my feet up in roomettes/rooms and business class. I do cover the seat with something and take my shoes off first. However, I am under no illusion that lots of passengers just put the old feet right up there shoes and all, so I travel with disinfectant and spray a bit before I settle in. Might not help, but it makes me feel better.

Just ask yourself, "Would I go to someone's home and put my feet on the couch my hosts were sitting on?" Pretty basic manners that even Barbie would probably know. :lol:

Just ask yourself, "Would I go to someone's home and put my feet on the couch my hosts were sitting on?" Pretty basic manners that even Barbie would probably know. :lol:
Sure would if following the lead of the host or hostess. Not with my shoes on, of course. My friends and I frequently sit around each other's houses watching TV and chatting curled up on the couches and/or chairs. I also put my feet on hostess' guest bed, again without shoes, when I stay all night. I don't see the big 'stink' about putting feet on seats. If the feet are clean and the setting is appropriate, no problem--with shoes, no way, ever. One more point--Amtrak is not my host. I pay for private accomodations so I can stretch out and relax. In this situation, my only social obligation is to leave the accomodations in good shape for the next occupants. So putting my clean feet on a seat I have covered is no breach of etiquette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back