Services

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Steve...I was just making the couple droons think it was all about the booze. If I was so concerned about "Booze" I would of had some in my jacket. It's an easy out to forget about customer service and focus on the "it was only 1 drink dude" Actually it was my lady friends birthday and I was a little embarrased when I came back to my seat trying to explain to her that at 11:05 PM leaving Boston that the bussiness class car was dry. It was just a little something we had planned...no big deal...and I'm sure Amtrack will have an interesting response. I almost wonder if Amtrack employees hang out on this site....seems that a couple folks take this quite personel. I will stand by my first response with one word...LAME. Over and out.

Nothing is worse than asking for a scotch, sorry, gin, sorry, rum, sorry, ham sandwich, sorry...........by this time the customer is really pissed.
Any wait staff worth their meager salary wouldn't waste everyone's time with this kind of pointless back-and-forth. They would kindly apologize for not having the full compliment of drinks available and would helpfully mention what is still available and ask the customer choose from among those remaining options.

If the train was out of booze, which no one knows and never will, the agent made a good call. Service people want to do a good job give service, that's what they are paid to do and to blame the agent for having an attitude and being difficult is uncalled for....it was then and still is a small issue!
If you agree that neither of us can know for certain the stock of alcohol available then why are you so confident in backing agent exclusively? Why are you antagonistic toward a customer freely speaking their mind? If the agent did nothing wrong then all they'd have to do is explain what happened and they'd suffer no consequences. The only way they'd be reprimanded is if it was clear they did in fact mishandle the situation. Why that would be a bad thing is beyond me.

Yea when I saw your name on the post, I knew I was in for a deep pile of kaka! Much ado about nothing! All this over one lousy drink....I am over it buddy.
Says the man who can't stop himself from posting just to disparage other contributors? If it's such a small issue in your mind then why are you using so many exclamation marks? It honestly looks like you're taken this harder than anyone.
Yes, but not half as seriously as you are Buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy wanted booze and acted like it was the end of world cause he couldn't get any. Can you spell alcoholic?
No, you are missing the point. If a person is employed in the cafe car to sell drinks, then if that drink is available and the person is entitled to buy it, then why should he be refused?

If the policy was no alcoholic drinks on late night trains, then fair enough, but it isn't is it?

Rubbish **** excuses like there isn't enough to serve everyone probably means the cafe car never sells anything then....

Seems yet again the passenger is being blamed for the failings of Amtrak.

The guy wanted booze and acted like it was the end of world cause he couldn't get any. Can you spell alcoholic?
No, you are missing the point. If a person is employed in the cafe car to sell drinks, then if that drink is available and the person is entitled to buy it, then why should he be refused?

If the policy was no alcoholic drinks on late night trains, then fair enough, but it isn't is it?

Rubbish **** excuses like there isn't enough to serve everyone probably means the cafe car never sells anything then....

Seems yet again the passenger is being blamed for the failings of Amtrak.
I don't see amtrakwolverine saying that Amtrak did no wrong.

Yes, the attendant should have sold until it was gone, and there may be a good reason why she didn't. It is possible for this to be true AND for the OP to overreact to being denied alcohol.

Bottom line is this, if an Amtrak passenger is SO pissed off, or angry, or disappointed in a recent Amtrak experience that they seek out THIS FORUM to either vent or ask for advice, the LAST thing they want to hear is "excuses". Hell, they probably got a ton of BS excuses, (or some real, valid ones, I have no idea) while they were on their trip.

Further, it seems many times that the railfans who post here (myself included) tend to "explain away" the transgression, and expect the OP or guest who had the original complaint to just "suck it up, that's Amtrak". I have fallen into that trap in the past, and it is wrong, wrong, wrong.......

What should we do, those of us who post here frequently? Yes, this is a FAN site, a site for Amtrak fans. But fan sites can also be advocates. Advocates for making things better. I think in general the posters here do a pretty good job of that.

But when I read post suggesting that "........that's just the way things are,.......the passengers should have known.......you should try working those hours........etc., etc." It literally makes my hair stand on end.

In this type of communication (one-way, text) us posters will NEVER know "both sides of the story"...but if a passenger feels so aggrieved that they seek out some type of understanding, or relief, or recommendations why do certain posters feel as though "...they aren't telling the whole story........."?

Do you really have to ask that question?

People make stuff up all the time, and if they're aggrieved at a particular company enough to vent about it on the internets, of course they're going to present their case to garner the maximum amount of sympathy.

Do you really have to ask that question?

People make stuff up all the time, and if they're aggrieved at a particular company enough to vent about it on the internets, of course they're going to present their case to garner the maximum amount of sympathy.
That doesn't mean they don't have a point to make and it doesn't mean you dismiss them out of hand.

You might actually acknowledge that sometimes the service provided by Amtrak is less than stellar at times.

Someone being labelled as an alcoholic (not by you) because of some odd behaviour by the cafe car staff just highlights the rather frequent desire to excuse all manner of poor service just because it's Amtrak.

That doesn't mean they don't have a point to make and it doesn't mean you dismiss them out of hand.
I agree, and don't see that happening.
You might actually acknowledge that sometimes the service provided by Amtrak is less than stellar at times.
Might? I do!
Someone being labelled as an alcoholic (not by you) because of some odd behaviour by the cafe car staff just highlights the rather frequent desire to excuse all manner of poor service just because it's Amtrak.
No, someone was labeled an alcoholic because of statements like this:
If I had known this was common practace I would of stayed in Boston for the night and come home the next day.
and labeling someone as an alcoholic is orthogonal to any commentary on the quality of service that Amtrak provides. Stick around and read a little more and you'll find that amtrakwolverine is rather vocal in his criticisms of Amtrak.

Bottom line is this, if an Amtrak passenger is SO pissed off, or angry, or disappointed in a recent Amtrak experience that they seek out THIS FORUM to either vent or ask for advice, the LAST thing they want to hear is "excuses". Hell, they probably got a ton of BS excuses, (or some real, valid ones, I have no idea) while they were on their trip.

Further, it seems many times that the railfans who post here (myself included) tend to "explain away" the transgression, and expect the OP or guest who had the original complaint to just "suck it up, that's Amtrak". I have fallen into that trap in the past, and it is wrong, wrong, wrong.......

What should we do, those of us who post here frequently? Yes, this is a FAN site, a site for Amtrak fans. But fan sites can also be advocates. Advocates for making things better. I think in general the posters here do a pretty good job of that.

But when I read post suggesting that "........that's just the way things are,.......the passengers should have known.......you should try working those hours........etc., etc." It literally makes my hair stand on end.

In this type of communication (one-way, text) us posters will NEVER know "both sides of the story"...but if a passenger feels so aggrieved that they seek out some type of understanding, or relief, or recommendations why do certain posters feel as though "...they aren't telling the whole story........."?
Well put Jerry...I'll only add that this is an Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum; many mega-milers, as well as newbies and "guests" are here to discuss and analyze; but sometimes it can get out of hand if one person wants to go home with the ball, bat and bases.

Keeping in mind that this particular train (as Anthony reminded us) is outsourced to a Maine-based catering service... this employee is NOT on the Amtrak payroll. They certainly do represent Amtrak however they may have policies that differ, I don't know-- I haven't ridden that particular route enough. Maybe they have a special rule that says you have to save some for the next time that café is restocked, who knows. Again the Downeaster has different policies than the rest of the system. Furthermore about the "irregularity of service" again, the Downeaster is special and this is not an Amtrak issue, Maine has the ultimate authority when it comes down to what is served on this particular train.

I sympathize with the passenger. If there was no stock left then they attendant (Amtrak or not) should have offered an alternative. Perhaps the hard liquors were out of stock but beer was in stock. I don't know, there's a lot missing from both sides. I would suggest writing a letter of complaint or just forgetting about it, it may not be worth your time.

In any event calling somebody an alcoholic because they were refused service is just downright rude.

I would like the OP to know that on regular Amtrak trains the liquor flows freely to those who are of age, can hold their liquor, and can pay six bucks a pop for it-- I have never been refused service of any alcoholic beverage on any Amtrak route unless they are out of stock. And you are most certainly not an alcoholic, just a traveller who wanted a nightcap. Travel, on any method of transportation, is naturally stressful. You got a bad deal over a six-buck cocktail. Writing a formal complaint is your right.

The emphasis here is not over the denial of service so much as it is bad customer service. Refusing service is fine if you got a good reason, and it sounds like this attendant didn't have a good reason or had lost a few marbles on this trip and couldn't come up with the right way to word their reasoning and flouted the situation.

Keeping in mind that this particular train (as Anthony reminded us) is outsourced to a Maine-based catering service... this employee is NOT on the Amtrak payroll. They certainly do represent Amtrak however they may have policies that differ, I don't know-- I haven't ridden that particular route enough. Maybe they have a special rule that says you have to save some for the next time that café is restocked, who knows. Again the Downeaster has different policies than the rest of the system. Furthermore about the "irregularity of service" again, the Downeaster is special and this is not an Amtrak issue, Maine has the ultimate authority when it comes down to what is served on this particular train.

I sympathize with the passenger. If there was no stock left then they attendant (Amtrak or not) should have offered an alternative. Perhaps the hard liquors were out of stock but beer was in stock. I don't know, there's a lot missing from both sides. I would suggest writing a letter of complaint or just forgetting about it, it may not be worth your time.

In any event calling somebody an alcoholic because they were refused service is just downright rude.

I would like the OP to know that on regular Amtrak trains the liquor flows freely to those who are of age, can hold their liquor, and can pay six bucks a pop for it-- I have never been refused service of any alcoholic beverage on any Amtrak route unless they are out of stock. And you are most certainly not an alcoholic, just a traveller who wanted a nightcap. Travel, on any method of transportation, is naturally stressful. You got a bad deal over a six-buck cocktail. Writing a formal complaint is your right.

The emphasis here is not over the denial of service so much as it is bad customer service. Refusing service is fine if you got a good reason, and it sounds like this attendant didn't have a good reason or had lost a few marbles on this trip and couldn't come up with the right way to word their reasoning and flouted the situation.
Are there other routes that are outsourced? I had not heard of this before.

Are there other routes that are outsourced? I had not heard of this before.
Does the maple leaf count. When it crossed the Canadian boarder via rail crews take over and stock it so you can get coke products on that train while in canada.

Great question Pastor Dave. Are there other trains other than the Downeaster have the outsourched system? Somehow I would be surprised if there was but you never know...

Great question Pastor Dave. Are there other trains other than the Downeaster have the outsourched system? Somehow I would be surprised if there was but you never know...
I've ridden quite a few Amtrak routes and never considered "outsourcing" as one of their strategies. I guess from a business perspective it sometimes makes sense but, none the less, those folks would still represent Amtrak and have an impact on Amtrak's reputation.

BTW, as a regular Amtrak passenger I do notice deficiencies at times and can usually overlook them. Rudeness however usually at least has me sending Amtrak a letter.

Yes, but not half as seriously as you are Buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why is my post deleted but the completely mindless post that spawned it isn't? :excl:
Your post got deleted because you altered the words written by Zepherdude and replaced them with your own. Altering a quote to delete parts that you aren't responding to is allowed. Altering a quote to break things up so as to more easily respond to points within is allowed. Altering what someone said and attributing the new words to them is not allowed and is generally considered improper forum decorum on all internet forums.

I've ridden quite a few Amtrak routes and never considered "outsourcing" as one of their strategies. I guess from a business perspective it sometimes makes sense but, none the less, those folks would still represent Amtrak and have an impact on Amtrak's reputation.

BTW, as a regular Amtrak passenger I do notice deficiencies at times and can usually overlook them. Rudeness however usually at least has me sending Amtrak a letter.
Outsourcing isn't one of Amtrak's strategies.

The Downeaster is a state sponsored service. The State of Maine setup the NNEPRA (Northern New England Passenger Rail Association) to oversee and pay Amtrak to run the Downeaster. As such, they have the right to tell Amtrak what to do and essentially, at least within FRA laws, to run the train. NNEPRA choose not to use the normal Amtrak commissary, as well as to not use an Amtrak LSA to run the cafe car.

I believe that the Downeaster is the only state sponsored service to actually use non-Amtrak personnel to run the cafe car. However, both California and Oregon/Washington do dictate what gets sold in the cafe cars on their state sponsored services. I believe that the food still comes from the Amtrak commissaries, and via that from Aramark, but it is possible that a different caterer was chosen. I'm just not sure.

And North Carolina dictates what gets sold on the Piedmonts, but I believe that the Carolinian is just run as a normal Amtrak train. Wisconsin/Illinois don't pay for full cafe service on the Hiawatha and only provide a cart based option. And Pennsy doesn't pay for any food service on the Keystones, so there is none.

I'm not aware of any other diversions, other than VIA's operation of the Leaf as noted by Wolverine, but that's not to suggest that there isn't.

Your post got deleted because you altered the words written by Zepherdude and replaced them with your own. Altering a quote to delete parts that you aren't responding to is allowed. Altering a quote to break things up so as to more easily respond to points within is allowed. Altering what someone said and attributing the new words to them is not allowed and is generally considered improper forum decorum on all internet forums.
Seriously? People here can't figure out that Zepherdude didn't actually say the words "blah blah blah?" Meanwhile screaming at the top of your lungs is somehow within the acceptable decorum of the forum. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Outsourcing isn't one of Amtrak's strategies.

The Downeaster is a state sponsored service. The State of Maine setup the NNEPRA (Northern New England Passenger Rail Association) to oversee and pay Amtrak to run the Downeaster. As such, they have the right to tell Amtrak what to do and essentially, at least within FRA laws, to run the train. NNEPRA choose not to use the normal Amtrak commissary, as well as to not use an Amtrak LSA to run the cafe car.

I believe that the Downeaster is the only state sponsored service to actually use non-Amtrak personnel to run the cafe car. However, both California and Oregon/Washington do dictate what gets sold in the cafe cars on their state sponsored services. I believe that the food still comes from the Amtrak commissaries, and via that from Aramark, but it is possible that a different caterer was chosen. I'm just not sure.

And North Carolina dictates what gets sold on the Piedmonts, but I believe that the Carolinian is just run as a normal Amtrak train. Wisconsin/Illinois don't pay for full cafe service on the Hiawatha and only provide a cart based option. And Pennsy doesn't pay for any food service on the Keystones, so there is none.

I'm not aware of any other diversions, other than VIA's operation of the Leaf as noted by Wolverine, but that's not to suggest that there isn't.
Thanks Alan,

I guess I've just never paid much attention to the state funded trains and how they might operate. Not that I am fretting over it, but it is kind of interesting to me. Amtrak sure can be complicated.

Dave

Seriously? People here can't figure out that Zepherdude didn't actually say the words "blah blah blah?" Meanwhile screaming at the top of your lungs is somehow within the acceptable decorum of the forum. :lol:
Yes, seriously.

I didn't know until Zepherdude complained to me wondering how someone had made a post using his name. Most people don't roll back up the thread to see what was originally written. This is just one of those rules of forum decorum. Go to pretty much any forum and you'll find that's the norm. Some forums even frown up deleting any of the quoted text at all, even if it's not relative to the point you're trying to make. I think that extreme, but I have had that happen to me.

So next time, please put the Blah, Blah in your post and don't change the OP's text. Thanks! :)

However, both California and Oregon/Washington do dictate what gets sold in the cafe cars on their state sponsored services. I believe that the food still comes from the Amtrak commissaries, and via that from Aramark, but it is possible that a different caterer was chosen.
At the moment, food onboard the California corridor services- the Capitol Corridor, San Joaquins and Pacific Surfliner- is provided by a Gourmet Rail Services, Inc. of Alameda, CA. GRSI appears to be a subsidiary of Gate Gourmet, an airline concessions provider. I do know that the food served on the corridor services differs markedly from what's served on the LD trains.

EDIT: I should mention that yes, the food is served by Amtrak personnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, both California and Oregon/Washington do dictate what gets sold in the cafe cars on their state sponsored services. I believe that the food still comes from the Amtrak commissaries, and via that from Aramark, but it is possible that a different caterer was chosen.
At the moment, food onboard the California corridor services- the Capitol Corridor, San Joaquins and Pacific Surfliner- is provided by a Gourmet Rail Services, Inc. of Alameda, CA. GRSI appears to be a subsidiary of Gate Gourmet, an airline concessions provider. I do know that the food served on the corridor services differs markedly from what's served on the LD trains.

EDIT: I should mention that yes, the food is served by Amtrak personnel.
I think it has been over 10 years since Amtrak contracted out its commissary bases.Amtrak makes the menu~ the contractor fills it as ordered.An Amtrak food service specialist implementer was on his way to see how the Downeaster did such a good job but nobody told him he couldn't catch the Downeaster at BOS. Last he was seen he was riding with Charlie on the MTA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back