September Surprise from Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting a rumor that they will triple all AGR points at no cost.........
tongue.gif

Introducing Amtrak's new Adopt-an-Engine program. You pay the adoption fee using the AGR credit card, you get to name the unit, and you can take as many pictures of it as you want. You are, however, responsible for feeding and maintaining it.

The back of LD train cars will be converted into a strip club. There will be about a 15 dollar cover charge for coach passengers and no cover charge for sleepers. It will be called Amstrip Enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering it's Facebook, and the photo does have perhaps a hint (a baggage car). And it has to be something that they could actually "afford" to do... In other words, it wont be new LD service or purchase of ten dome cars. Here is a wild guess (that's all)... maybe it's bike racks on all trains with baggage cars? That would be nice to see happen - and it would be rather affordable, and it would appeal to a Facebook crowd.

But I don't think that is their surprise, but it's just a random guess :)

I am looking forward to seeing what it is.

Considering it's Facebook, and the photo does have perhaps a hint (a baggage car). And it has to be something that they could actually "afford" to do... In other words, it wont be new LD service or purchase of ten dome cars. Here is a wild guess (that's all)... maybe it's bike racks on all trains with baggage cars? That would be nice to see happen - and it would be rather affordable, and it would appeal to a Facebook crowd.
Bike racks won't be much of a surprise. When the Viewliner II order was announced last year, the news release said the new baggage cars would have bicycle racks. (Looked up the news release). Also can't make much hay on that because the new baggage cars are several years away from entering service in any substantial numbers.

Getting to more serious guesses, how about announcing the order of 40 Acela cars? Amtrak submitted a FY12 funding request to Congress for the first payment on an Acela order, but they might figure that it will be long wait on Congress, so just go ahead and place the order to get the cars as quickly as feasible.

I don't think more Acela cars is much of a surprise to announce on Facebook. That is not something they would do this kind of buildup for, even on "social media".

I know they are trying to add bike capacity, and that does seem facebook appropriate, but I suppose I'd be a bit disappointed if that was all it was. I've heard that it's a simple matter of adding a rack across the old heritage baggage cars, so it's not crazy hard to make happen. Really, it's something that should have been done about ten years ago.

Maybe finally E-ticketing on cell phones or printed tickets at home. That would be a surprise and effect everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the Amtrak post on Facebook ever actually say anything about a "surprise" (as in something that has never ever been mentioned to anyone in the public before)?

All I can see is "stay tuned for something special."

All the debate on here seems to be centered around a surprise announcement, with everyone ruling out everything that's already known.

Resuming the Sunset Limited Orlando to LA AND ADDING new COAST TO COAST Auto-Train service from Lorton to a new Auto-Train Depot in Barstow, CA, allowing passengers to take their cars between the coasts... :wacko:

Ok I guess I'll just have to spill the beans here.

Amtrak is poised to announce a new service where you can check any train's status via text from any cell phone.

No wait...... ;)

A couple of gambling cars, one of them you can smoke in! I would love to play slots on a train trip. I like that idea.

Amtrak is poised to announce a new service where you can check any train's status via text from any cell phone.

No wait...... ;)
Though perhaps a bit underwhelming from what it got built into with the "surprise" bit, that's not a bad thing. Thanks a bunch for letting us know.

No wait...... ;)
Though perhaps a bit underwhelming from what it got built into with the "surprise" bit, that's not a bad thing. Thanks a bunch for letting us know.
I think the OP is joking because the iPhone app to check status and buy tickets was releaased last month. Ok, maybe the "surprise" will be an Android version, but I doubt it if there is a "surprise!" at all.

No wait...... ;)
That already exsists.... I don't remember the exact syntax used to get status via text. But you can.

How about:

Deutsche Bahn AG announces their purchase of Amtrak, plans to upgrade all trunk lines to be high-speed capable. Electric trains preferred.

peter

No wait...... ;)
That already exsists.... I don't remember the exact syntax used to get status via text. But you can.

How about:

Deutsche Bahn AG announces their purchase of Amtrak, plans to upgrade all trunk lines to be high-speed capable. Electric trains preferred.

peter
Despite it being a foreign company, (and I'm not really too fond of foreign companies running things here), I'd be all for that. haha They could keep some LD trains for leisure purposes, but for travelling purposes they could use the HSR. I definitely don't mind travelling down to Flagstaff from Chicago on the SWC, it's relaxing and has nice views. The not as entertaining part is coming home. I'm one of those "I'd rather be home now so that it's closer to the time I can leave again" type of people. lol

Well, even in such a situation (as much of a pipe dream as it regrettably is), I think you'd have most of the LD trains survive...you'd just have the Southwest Chief beating the records of the old Super Chief by a light-year, you'd have overnight "business" service between New York and Miami (leave at 5/6 PM, arrive at 8/9 AM), Chicago and Denver, New York and Denver, and so on. Heck, you might even have decent New York-Toronto service come out of the deal.

JDC: What do you like, in particular, about running to Flagstaff rather than running through to LAX?

I think you'd have most of the LD trains survive...you'd just have the Southwest Chief beating the records of the old Super Chief by a light-year.
Modern passenger trains running faster than trains from the distant past?! That sounds like nothing but crazy talk to me. :wacko:

JDC: What do you like, in particular, about running to Flagstaff rather than running through to LAX?
Presumably GFE > LAX. ;)

I think you'd have most of the LD trains survive...you'd just have the Southwest Chief beating the records of the old Super Chief by a light-year.
Modern passenger trains running faster than trains from the distant past?! That sounds like nothing but crazy talk to me. :wacko:
Well I wouldn't mind if the LD trains survived...I would just like them to be faster on the way home. lol

Presumably GFE > LAX. ;)

Ding ding ding we have a winner! haha I've never gone all the way to LAX because my girlfriend goes to university in Flagstaff, so there's no need to go all the way through. Some day I will however be taking a trip up to SEA with her from either FLG or TUS. So we'd get to see LAX either way because both the SWC and SL go through LAX to connect to the CS.

JCD,

Ahhh...that makes perfect sense. Mind you, I've gone to Flagstaff twice (bungee jumping trips up at the Navajo bridge), but the destination does attract attention.

No wait...... ;)

How about:

peter
Despite it being a foreign company, (and I'm not really too fond of foreign companies running things here), I'd be all for that. haha They could keep some LD trains for leisure purposes, but for travelling purposes they could use the HSR. I definitely don't mind travelling down to Flagstaff from Chicago on the SWC, it's relaxing and has nice views. The not as entertaining part is coming home. I'm one of those "I'd rather be home now so that it's closer to the time I can leave again" type of people. lol
In reality I could have picked any other company (I'm sure there is a US-based commuter operator, who I could have picked). I picked DB because they've been working on spreading their resources across Europe a lot lately, the know a thing or two about HSR (admittedly not as much as SNCF or JR), and have some experience in US operations as they were involved with WC for a short period (until they bought EWS).

peter

Ridership will top 30 million? That's not really a surprise, though, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back