SEPTA Silverliner VI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Septa9739

Lead Service Attendant
https://wwww.septa.org/procurement/bids/expression-of-interest-septa-silverliner-vi-procurement/
It’s seems SEPTA is finally preparing to retire its venerable Silverliner IV fleet. Documents suggest a desire for single level EMU’s, which I think is right given how the RRD is in certain ways more akin to a subway system than most American commuter rail. The order should be about 250 cars, and would mark the largest capital expenditure SEPTA has made to date. Funding will make this process interesting. We’ll have to see how this works out.

I wonder how likely it is Hyundai Rotem wins the order, given that Septa already has 120 Silverliner Vs from them? The Silverliner IVs will be running into their 50th year in service, so its fitting Septa finally announces the Silverliner VIs.

Extremely unlikely. Their US operation (based in Philadelphia) is shuttered. The corruption around Silverliner V became offensive even to Philadelphians (We kinda expect it on stuff like this.) Riders don’t like the V and have all sorts of nasty nicknames. Denver seems to be the only happy customer. That multimillion dollar disaster in 2016 that permanently damaged ridership also might figure in.

In the summer of 2016 the axles on the Silverliner V’s began to crack and the whole fleet had to be pulled for several months. Thankfully SEPTA is more serious about safety than certain other Northeast commuter roads. The EMU’s started “tilting.” That created a 30% reduction in available equipment a significant reduction to schedule and a significant cut in ridership that has persisted for years.

Speaking of that Massachusetts factory, is there any word on the CRRC cars that were ordered eons ago? Last I remember hearing was that the feds were auditing the program for Buy America compliance, but that was about a year ago.

Since Rotem is out, it would be interesting to see who gets the order. Siemens has the Mireo, Alstom has the Coradia, Stadler has the FLIRT, and CAF has the Civity to give some background on what's available on the market.

Speaking of that Massachusetts factory, is there any word on the CRRC cars that were ordered eons ago? Last I remember hearing was that the feds were auditing the program for Buy America compliance, but that was about a year ago.
The most recent status I can find on this is from August of 2023
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-rev...rc-delivery-of-long-delayed-mbta-subway-cars/
The last paragraph gives some room for optimism:
Eng told the meeting that CRRC is still working on a revised schedule. He also said that, after significant effort by CRRC and the MBTA, the quality of the cars coming out of the Springfield plant has improved to the point that the CRRC cars in operation are exceeding expectatons. Currently, they are averaging about 114,000 miles between failures, beating the 90,000 miles required by contract.

Back