Select Promotion and Late Posting Points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all-

Having an issue and wondering about the best way to resolve. I've been Select for 2007 and 2008, and I ended up being about 590 points short at the end of 2008 for 2009. I ended up getting a promotional e-mail in February that offered to apply my points gained between mid February and the end of March to my status points for 2008. In other words, gain 600 points by the end of March and get Select 2009.

So I ended up taking my trips as planned (including a r/t on 3/30) to be sure I had 6 separate legs to ensure I earned 600 points. Problem is that one of my trips from 3/30 didn't post. I've submitted it to the missing point request twice over the past 2 weeks, but nothing as of today. I finally called customer service and the agent said he would post it to my account. I asked him about the promotion, and he said I would qualify if I met the requirements (but he didn't seem to know anything about it, so it didn't boost my confidence).

So what steps should I take after it posts? Looking for any advice you can give. I'm worried that it may be more trouble than it's worth to get Select for this year...

Scott

Good Luck, Scott,

I hope you get your select status as you deserve.

I am having trouble getting a trip I took on March 27th. I sent in the computer form and nothing.

I called one week ago and he said it would post immediately. Hasn't posted yet.

I'm also missing a trip I took on April 9th that hasn't posted yet.

I have always had my points posted within three to four days before.

I called AGR again this morning about my missing points. The associate told me, "no problem, will post your points at once."

I'll check after lunch to see if they made it this time!!

Scott,

Only you can decide just how much time and effort you want to invest in getting your status. Personally I'd say that it's worth at least some effort. My biggest reason for that is the 25% point bonus, which can really help to get the points to add up faster. Granted there are the other perks too, like special phone numbers, free companion coupons, free upgrade coupons and such. But to me the extra points is the biggest reason to fight for your status.

Now I'm not surprised that the agent you spoke with knew nothing about that promo. Most agents aren't aware of those special promos that bend the promotion rules for gaining status. Even if they are, they still can't fix that problem. Only a Supervisor can fix a status issue. So once you've gotten your points to post, you'll have to call back and get a supervisor on the phone to fix the status issue. I would not expect the status upgrade to happen automatically. It never does with these promos, it always require human intervention even though most people are unaware that it didn't happen automatically.

Finally I have to say that this is the first time I've ever heard of such a promo that's after the fact. For several years AGR has counted the extra points from the fall double point promo towards status for selected members. But I've never heard of them coming back in the new year and making an offer to count points from this year towards status from last year. Very interesting!

I got a similar email offer at the end of last year telling me that all my double points I was recieving for a promotion already in progress would also count towards select status.Normally its just the initial rail points That count.This happened before 15 dec 2008 and I didn't actually know for sure I got the status until march 2009.I was diligent in calling weekly and checking on the situation.It took a while for me to actually find someone who knew where the promotion came but once they did ,they noted my account and even added a few bonus points for my trouble.I suggest you save the email and find out if there are any promotional numbers on it,on mine there were none.Good luck ,hang in there and eventually it should work out.I also got a similar offer from marriott hotels offering to double my nights towards required stays and if not enough to qualify for the next level rolling those nights over for next year.

Sounds like with the economy worring all travelers we might see some interesting incentives such as these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all-

Wanted to follow up. My missing points finally posted after about 2 months. Once they posted, I called AGR one more time and described the Select promotion to the agent. He was very helpful and told me that I have met the requirements of the promotion and that I would be upgraded to 2009 Select status within 30 days. I got a call 2 days ago from a very nice AGR agent to tell me that my status was changed and that I would receive my Select package within 3 weeks. Bottom line is that my persistence paid off. So if anyone else had problems with this promotion, the agents will ultimately work it out. Looking forward to my upgrade coupons.

Scott

Back