Security Videos in Waiting Room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skim

Train Attendant
Today I was waiting to board in CHI and noticed an Amtrak video playing, warning us all about terrorists and giving the impression that it was far more dangerous to ride than it actually is. I don't see the point to this. Does Amtrak not see the potential of scaring naive passengers away, or of creating an aura of distrust that could cause awkward individuals to be singled out and "reported," thereby losing their business as well?

The atmosphere created by the Kindergarten Walk, that boarding is too dangerous to partake unsupervised, doesn't help.

I accept that rail travel is probably a very safe way to get around the USA, indeed my wife and I are travelling from the UK this weekend and will be heading from the East coast to the West coast by Amtrak during our vacation, however in this day and age no form of mass travel is free from risk.

Here in the UK we suffered several terrorist attacks on our public transport system a few years back, this was an orchestrated attack with everything happening on the same day and over 50 citizens killed and several hundread injured. I am sure I dont need to remind everyone of the events on 9/11.

The biggest thing in the terrorists favour is customer apathy. Everyone, on every form of mass transport should be alert to issues and especially unattended baggage. While it does seems that suicide bombers seems to be the "favoured" mode of causing mass deaths the events at the Boston marathon show this is not always the case.

Over time as people switch off and stop being alert the chances of the next big attack increase.

It only takes a few seconds to take on board the messages included in these broadcasts, it is everyones duty to be alert to issues around them as they carry out their normal day, please dont let apathy to these broadcasts give the terrorists the chance to score another big publicity event.

Cheers

John

Of course terrorist attacks happen. I don't want this to turn political, so I'll limit this to saying that:

1. A large number of Americans are paranoid and/or xenophobic, and will refuse to ride if they gauge it as too dangerous.

2. Another attack will probably happen, but spreading paranoia and xenophobia won't stave it off. Indeed, 9/11 was used to condition us into fear and justify repealing some of our rights. You'll excuse me if I don't enjoy being manipulated as such, and refuse to worry about possible attacks that would be unavoidable anyway.

Most people, including me, tune out the videos and announcements. They're probably required to play them since there are people out there who would be dumb enough to watch someone's bag while they "just ran upstairs real quick". I don't think of them as a scare tactic. If someone's going to be scared, they'll be scared regardless of some video. Some people who ride trains do so because they're terrified someone's going to blow up a plane.

As for the kindergarten walk, I always assumed it was for safety reasons and to avoid a disorganized stampede out to the train. CUS is a very busy station, and it can be easy for first-time travelers to get confused about door/track numbers.

If you really want to be terrified by the security theater all you need to do is go to any commercial airport. Your freedom ends there as soon as you walk in the front doors. And that's not even mentioning all the games the airlines are playing now.

Eh, that video is looped through the waiting area at PVD, too. I have never even seen anyone watching it.

Listen up Children/Sheep: This is similar to the Dog and Pony "Safety" Show Performance by the Flight Crew that no-one pays attention to on Airplanes!

In some Amtrak Stations that don't have Videos there is an annoying Announcement similar to those @ Airports that Loops Repeatedly reminding you to Report anything "Suspicious" Looking or any Un-attended Luggage you might spot! Cue Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young singing "For What It's Worth!" ("..Paranoia strikes Deep, into your Life it must Creep...")

It's like the Little Boy that Cried Wolf or Chicken Little Stories! Be Afraid, Very Afraid! Theres a Big difference between being Alert and Being Afraid! Big Brother wants you to be Afraid! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want to be terrified by the security theater all you need to do is go to any commercial airport. Your freedom ends there as soon as you walk in the front doors. And that's not even mentioning all the games the airlines are playing now.
That's a lot of hyperbole and you know it.

What can't you do in an airport that you can do in, say, a McDonald's?

That's a lot of hyperbole and you know it.

What can't you do in an airport that you can do in, say, a McDonald's?
I don't know of a McDonald's where you have to take your shoes off or get your b*lls pawed before going in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back