Schedule for extra trains for Christmas??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi Folks:

Do you know when the Christmas train schedule might be out for the NEC?

Just trying to see when the latest train will run from Boston to NYP on December 24.

Also, does anyone know if Club Acela in NYP is open on Christmas Day and if so what the hours would be?

I left on Christmas Day from BOS and the Club Acela was open but I think it was on a Sunday schedule, can't recall.

Thanks!
-Jackie

I tried a false booking via the Amtrak reservations system. According to that, the last train is # 67 which leaves Boston at 9.30 p.m. and arrives at New York at 2.15 a.m., on 12/24.

jb

As far as I can remember there are never extra trains for the Xmas holiday. Thanksgiving gets them. But I don't think Xmas does. Just runs a Saturday schedule on Xmas eve. Sunday on Xmas.

As far as I can remember there are never extra trains for the Xmas holiday. Thanksgiving gets them. But I don't think Xmas does. Just runs a Saturday schedule on Xmas eve. Sunday on Xmas.

Usually it is a "modified" Saturday schedule on Christmas Day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Usually it is a "modified" Saturday schedule on Christmas Day.
True that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the demand over Christmas/New Years is more spread out than at Thanksgiving. You don't get a crush of folks like you do on the Wed/Sun of Thanksgiving week. Plus, you have (I assume) a sharp dropoff of business travelers, so that offsets an increase in leisure travelers.

Many moons ago, I was on an advance section of a train between Boston and New York. We made fewer stops, as I recall, than the scheduled train. And yes: it was Amtrak, not the New Haven. It was between Christmas and New Year's as I recall.

I think the demand over Christmas/New Years is more spread out than at Thanksgiving. You don't get a crush of folks like you do on the Wed/Sun of Thanksgiving week. Plus, you have (I assume) a sharp dropoff of business travelers, so that offsets an increase in leisure travelers.
This, and on top of that Thanksgiving is always a Thursday, where as Xmas falls any of the 7 days of the week.

Many moons ago, I was on an advance section of a train between Boston and New York. We made fewer stops, as I recall, than the scheduled train. And yes: it was Amtrak, not the New Haven. It was between Christmas and New Year's as I recall.
This would happen plenty of times during the Thanksgiving Rush. 10-15 years ago when my Dad and I would be watching trains go by another one would show up and we would look and simply say "Which train is this"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back