Santa Barbara layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O

Conductor
Going to go from LA Union Station to Santa Barbara on the Coast Starlight and then come back a few hours later on the Surfrider. We can be there about an hour or three and a half hours. We are just going for the train ride and in fact taking the Metrolink to and from LA Union Station. I'd rather not stay past 430 in Santa Barbara so as to get home at a more reasonable hour. That said, in the winter, would you spend an hour there or three plus? I figure we can find a place to get a snack to kill an hour or walk to the beach and back. Three hours would require a bit more than just that. I am leaning towards the three hour stint, even if we just walk around Santa Barbara most of the time but it would be a bit easier sell for this trip if I had something for sure to do there. Beach may be okay but in the winter it could be actually kinda cool there.

Thanks,

Dan

I say enjoy the longer time in SB... my favorite thing to do is to head out to Stearns Wharf and get something to eat or just enjoy the ocean... esp. if you are not from Southern California. There is a nice trail that goes up an down the beach too... all within 5-10min walking distance from the station.

The Pacific Surfliner is unreserved, so either one is convenient as long as you purchased ticket for the first one. If you decide to stay in Santa Barbara a little longer, the ticket will be honor on the next train or so on.

There is a lot to do in Santa Barbara, and even 3 hours is pretty tight. Check out the mammoth Moreton Bay fig tree at the depot. A sailor gave it to a girl. There is a surprisingly nice carriage museum very close by-

http://www.carriagemuseum.org/

The Arlington theater is pretty spectacular-

http://www.thearlingtontheatre.com/

And since the depot is right downtown, lots of shopping, bars and restaurants to fill up the time. I say stay overnight, but it's your trip!

The walk from SBA to the wharf is downhill and pleasant. The station is adjacent to State Street, along which run free electric shuttle buses. At the base of State, by the wharf, a shuttle branch route can take you to the zoo via a lake which is also a bird preserve. Things to do, including a marine museum and food outlets, on the wharf. Even in winter Santa Barbara weather is mild, but best to be prepared for a slight chill down by the water. Off State to the left - looking toward the beach - there is a wine tasting place. Aside from the wharf, most places to eat, shop, and investigate are uphill on State, including a mall; shuttles run that way, too.

I would recommend some walking around a block or so off State, too, to see some of the older downtown neighborhood. There are also numerous bike rental places near the beach, with various types offered for pedaling jaunts. A little exploring should pretty easily fill the time between trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop by Station Services and ask for a bus transfer for each passenger in your party, which will allow everyone free bus travel in the area (my transfers are in the trunk of my car, and I don't remember offhand exactly which companies honor the transfers.) If station services doesn't have them, ask your conductor, or stop in the SBA station and ask.

Travel light!

~BJG

Going to go from LA Union Station to Santa Barbara on the Coast Starlight and then come back a few hours later on the Surfrider. We can be there about an hour or three and a half hours. We are just going for the train ride and in fact taking the Metrolink to and from LA Union Station. I'd rather not stay past 430 in Santa Barbara so as to get home at a more reasonable hour. That said, in the winter, would you spend an hour there or three plus? I figure we can find a place to get a snack to kill an hour or walk to the beach and back. Three hours would require a bit more than just that. I am leaning towards the three hour stint, even if we just walk around Santa Barbara most of the time but it would be a bit easier sell for this trip if I had something for sure to do there. Beach may be okay but in the winter it could be actually kinda cool there.
Thanks,

Dan

Stop by Station Services and ask for a bus transfer for each passenger in your party, which will allow everyone free bus travel in the area (my transfers are in the trunk of my car, and I don't remember offhand exactly which companies honor the transfers.) If station services doesn't have them, ask your conductor, or stop in the SBA station and ask.
Travel light!

~BJG
Thanks. I will do that.

To the rest who offered ideas--thanks so much. I will try to do some of them. I didn't know that Pacific Surfliner allowed one to ride on the following train.

I do live in CA and have been to the beach numerous times in LA/SD area. But it has been a while since I have been to SB so should enjoy it very much.

Many thanks again,

Dano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back