San Joaquin vs SUV in Riverbank, CA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
From KCRA-TV, Channel 3 in Sacramento, CA, 5/8/07:

Six people were killed Tuesday when a vehicle was hit by an Amtrak train near Riverbank, officials said.
Authorties said the crash occurred at about 2 p.m. at a rail crossing at Claribel Road near Terminal Avenue.
Online reports say that the train involved was #713.

Full story is here.

Wow - that SUV got decimated. When will people ever learn. What bothers me the most is that this train was going 79 mph and is only a few cars long. It would have passed in less than 15 seconds.

I really think that the FRA or DOT should launch a serious railroad safety initiative nationwide to make unfortunate and unnecessary events like this never occur.

I really think that the FRA or DOT should launch a serious railroad safety initiative nationwide to make unfortunate and unnecessary events like this never occur.
There has been enough said about the need to be careful at railroad crossings over the years that by now somebody driving in front of a train mainly proves that they qualify for a posthumous Darwin Award.

From Modesto, CA Bee, 5/10/07:

Family lost in crash
Lucio Rodriguez Corral's niece went to his home and removed all the photographs of his young family. Evelyn Montoya, 20, of Modesto said she thought it would make returning home easier.
This story is here.

over in altamonte springs florida there is a railroad crossing with a great sign "big train, little car are you past the stop bar?"

Last edited by a moderator:
As ticket-happy as the A.S.P.D. is it really mystifies me why they don't just assign an officer there 24/7 to give out tickets to the multitude of suicidal idiots who block that crossing westbound every day waiting for the light at 427 to change. They'd make a mint and wouldn't have to spend any gas to do it - just stand there and motion the folks to go pull over. I've even been sitting there watching them do it as I hear a train on the scanner approaching that crossing. And they can't see northbound trains (and the engineer can't tell the crossing is blocked) until the train is less than 1/4 mile from the crossing because of how the track curves south of 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back