San Antonio, TX Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railfan83

Train Attendant
I'm planning a trip next month on the Texas Eagle from LAX (Los Angeles) to LRK (Little Rock) and am planning on getting a roomette. I think this question may have been asked before, but am I allowed to stay in my Roomette during the night in San Antonio or do I need to look at getting a motel room?

If you book a roomette on train #422, then Yes, you will be allowed to stay in your room fast asleep.

If you book a roomette on trains #2 & #22, then you must vacate your room in San Antonio and wait in the station until just before 7 AM to reboard.

If you book a roomette on train #422, then Yes, you will be allowed to stay in your room fast asleep. If you book a roomette on trains #2 & #22, then you must vacate your room in San Antonio and wait in the station until just before 7 AM to reboard.
I've actually boarded #22 before 6AM, but only with a sleeper ticket. Coach passengers are expected to wait until 6:45AM or so. There is a Staybridge Suites hotel within easy walking distance of the Amtrak station for the folks who inadvertently book the wrong car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Alan said, you will definetly want to book a sleeper in #421 or #422 and not #21/1 and #22/2... unless you want to stay awake all night at the station. :)

If you do get a thru sleeper and you get into SAS at a reasonable hour, I'd encourage you to walk over to see the Alamo and the River Walk. The Alamo grounds are closed, but you can walk right up to the outside of it and read the historical plaques... and you can still grab a drink or two on the River Walk.

Generally, you will be able to de-board/re-board anytime you want... usually the coach will be open while the sleeper door will be closed. If they are doing switching, you might have to wait 20 or 30 minutes to get back on... but I've done #421 CHI-LAX numerous times and never had a problem.

I love the 3 nights on the same train... and the break of walking around SAS for a few hours.

To get there, you can take a cab for like $5... or just walk the 4-5 blocks. Go to the main street by the station and make a left... or walk away from the tracks. At no point do you ever cross over the tracks (according to the station agent, you dont want to do that because you get in the rough area of town)... just keep walking towards the bridge that has rainbow colored lights under it and youre in the right direction... :)

What is interesting is this:

On AMTRAK.COM, #422 is shown as LAX-LRK, while #22 is shown as LAX-SAT SAT-LRK

I am curious what people think when they see this. I see it as pretty clear, one train vs a connection.

The San Antonio Amtrak station is on Hoefgen. If you're part of a group you can either follow Hoefgen north or follow the tracks north to Commerce. You'll be heading away from the Alamo Dome that is to the south of the Amtrak station. Take a left on Commerce heading west toward downtown. Commerce is the street that passes under the disco rainbow freeway bridge (281/37). Never cross the tracks. There's nothing tourists would want to see over there. If you're traveling alone then take a cab both ways.

Two important things happen shortly after 2:00AM.

1. The last of the bars close and everyone goes home or to a hotel

2. Amtrak begins switching their cars around and fouling Commerce

You can either head to Denny's or head back to the station at that time as there's not much more that's likely to happen before departure time.

Isn't there a Ruth's Chris near by. Is dinner there an option?

Ruth's Chris is on the corner of Hoefgen and Commerce, just a couple of blocks from the station. It's open until 11 pm Friday and Saturday, 10 pm the rest of the week. You can probably have dinner if you leave LAX on Friday, walk fast, and the train is on time. :lol:

Thanks for the replies. My trip is booked and I have Room 7 on #422 from LAX-LRK. I am traveling alone and this is my first trip in a sleeper car. I am looking forward to the trip. I leave LAX on April 1 so if anyone on here will happen to be on the Limited/Eagle during that time maybe we will run into each other. Some guys at work think I'm nuts when they ask what hotel I am staying at and I tell them Hotel Amtrak. They can't seem to understand why I would take the time and pay the price (I'm using reward points by the way) to take the train. I just tell them that I don't care about the time as my vacation is actually to ride the train. I get blank stares and stuff. I just wonder when the USA can begin to get and use rail as they do in Europe and Asia? Anyway, This is actually only one leg of my trip here is my itinerary:

3/19/11

#22; Texas Eagle; LRK - ST

3/20/11

#313; MO River Runner; STL - KCY

#3; Southwest Chief; KCY - HUT

(Unfortunatly due to cost I will be flying to SAN)

4/1/11

#573; Pacific Surfliner; SAN - LAX

#422; Texas Eagle; LAX - LRK

Would be cool to meet some fellow Trainiacs and forum members if possible.

How would this layover apply if you book a roomette on the Texas Eagle to San Antonio and then board Sunset Limited to LA. Amtrak ticketing does give this option although the ticket price is higher. Would I be able to stay on the Eagle until time to board the Sunset? I would like to take the Texas Eagle into San Antonio and then board the Sunset for the remainder of the trip to LA for two reasons. I took my first Amtrak trip on the Sunset and would like to ride it again. Also I remember that the Eagle sleeper was at the end and sleeper passengers had to walk through coach to get to the dining room. I don't like riding in the last car, but on the return trip I would book on the Eagle or get a room in San Antonio.

Aloha

From San Antonio to LA is basically the same train. In SA the two trains are merged. If you ride the Texas Eagle on train #422 your cars are switched to the Sunset Limited. If you are not riding the switched cars you get off and wait to re-board. Just in case I got the train number wrong someone will correct me.

Was just on the 422 in a roomette and arrived in San Antonio at 3:30 am on feb 3rd,a bit late.We got jockyed around,shoved here,water added but power was off for about an hour and a half I was told(sleeping) and when I got up to use the bathrooms they were all locked..mmmmmm.. I improvised.Intial question,#422 your room is yours till ya get off.I just had #14 on 2230(got off on feb 5th) for 73 hours...weather across the desert and FT Worth Dallas area slowed us up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back