Sacramento to Santa Barbara questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy all -

I'm thinking about taking my first train trip (since I was an infant) from Sacramento, CA to Santa Barbara, CA. I'd like to leave around 9/16 and return around 9/21.

My question for all you experienced folks is, what are the best opetions for comfort and photgraphy opportunities? Are there certain schedules and routes that have cars with the clear dome tops or other car types that provide good views? What about lower coach vs. regular coach? (what's the difference?).

I'd like to avoid any bus rides if at all possible! :D

The Coast Starlight schedule is as follows:

Leave Sacramento 6:35 am

Arrive Santa Barbara 6:17 pm

Leave Santa Barbara 12:48 pm

Arrive Sacramento 11:59 pm

Fare $102.

For taking pictures the upper deck is better. The lower deck is usually reserved for people who have trouble climbing the stairs.

That is the only route without taking a bus.

For further details go to Amtrak Web Site

Your second best option would be to take Amtrak California's San Joaquin route. A direct train (Train 702) leaves Sacramento at 6:30am and arrives into Bakersfield around noon where you would transfer to a dedicated Amtrak Thruway motorcoach that would leave Bakersfield about five minutes after the arrival of the train and get you into Santa Barbara at 3:20pm.

While this route does require you to transfer to a thruway bus at Bakersfield, the advantage of this routing is that it usually always runs ON TIME (unlike the Coast Starlight direct-train all the way that frequently operates 2-5 hours late) and it will probably cost less $.

If you are on ANY time constraints, you should probably take the San Joaquins. They offer additional frequencies between Sacramento and Santa Barbara all day long (every few hours), but the one I mentioned is the only one that is a direct train out of Sacramento. The other San Joaquins all operate as a thruway bus from Sac to Stockton, train Stockton to Bakersfield, and then thruway connection Bakersfield to Santa Barbara.

If you have LOTS of time and are really into the ride for the scenery, take the Coast Starlight as the train equipment is more comfortable and the train includes a full sightseer-lounge with outward facing seats and wrap around windows on the second floor. Lower level coach on this train is reserved exclusively for the disabled passengers that cannot ascend the stairs. All general seating is on the upper level and provides the best ride, scenery, and atmosphere. Enjoy the trip!

jccollins said:
While this route does require you to transfer to a thruway bus at Bakersfield, the advantage of this routing is that it usually always runs ON TIME (unlike the Coast Starlight direct-train all the way that frequently operates 2-5 hours late)
You should be ok on the Starlight for the most part now. A couple of months ago I would say no, but lately it is averaging about 2 hours late.

Back