Route Autotrain superliners take to go to Beach Grove shops

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to this forum as a member. I have lurked for quite some time so first off I would like to thank the administrators for granting me membership access.

My question is if a car needs repair from AutoTrain, what trains does it take to get to Beech Grove shops? I realize this may have been asked and answered before, but I do not recall seeing it.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyday repairs would be handled by Sanford Mechanical. Usually the only reason a car in the Auto Train pool would go to Beech Grove is for overhaul. The car would first be cut out at Lorton, then be moved lite to Washington. From there it would deadhead on the Capital Limited to Chicago and then on the Hoosier State to Beech Grove. Reverse that routing when it's completed.

In the past it was reported the Cardinal would take them directly to IND then a yard crew take car to Beech. Have not seen any reports of that in several years.

The only thing for sure about a move to Beech is that it will get there somehow! Welcome rland54!

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past it was reported the Cardinal would take them directly to IND then a yard crew take car to Beech. Have not seen any reports of that in several years.
That would require the addition of the low level - high level compatibility car to the Cardinal to keep the diaphragms from getting damaged. That may be the reason that they don't go by the Card from WAS. The hospital moves on Hoosier State or Cardinal out of Chicago includes such a car or is done as a completely separate consist with its own engine just attached to the regular service, and taken off at IND.

Do they use a high / low level compatibility car when they handle private varnish on a Superliner train? I've never seen one.

Do they use a high / low level compatibility car when they handle private varnish on a Superliner train? I've never seen one.
I don't know. I do know that they use them on hospital moves to Beech Grove.

Maybe Thirdrail can throw some light based on actual facts from within Amtrak.

I have never seen a Transition Car on the rear for Private Cars attached to Superliners.
Maybe it depends on the type of diaphragm in the low level car? If they have those big plastic cylinder things maybe it is fine whereas the metal frame diaphragms as in Amfleets may be problematic. I am mentioning this from vague memory and maybe I am remembering something wrong.

I have never seen a Transition Car on the rear for Private Cars attached to Superliners.
Maybe it depends on the type of diaphragm in the low level car? If they have those big plastic cylinder things maybe it is fine whereas the metal frame diaphragms as in Amfleets may be problematic. I am mentioning this from vague memory and maybe I am remembering something wrong.
That could be the case. Another possibility is that the chance of damage is remote enough that private car owners are forced to risk it, whereas Amtrak is more protective over their own cars.

The Stamford FL shops will do most of the work required on the Auto Train cars.

Only recall heavy repairs of a derailment nature going to Beach Grove. Even then it might of been due to shop capacity and the need to get cars back on the road as fast as possible.

I don't know. I do know that they use them on hospital moves to Beech Grove.
Maybe Thirdrail can throw some light based on actual facts from within Amtrak.
PV's are required to have tubular type diaphragms so they can be hauled with Superliners without a transition car.

Amtrak in the past has routinely ran single level baggage cars without a transition car with Superliners. This the first I have read this is an issue.

The few times that we have been on the Cardinal, it has run with a single engine out of NYP. That's probably another good reason for not deadheading cars on the route..
What does the number engines from New York have to do with equipment deadheading west from Washington? Engines get changed in Washington anyway.

Everyday repairs would be handled by Sanford Mechanical. Usually the only reason a car in the Auto Train pool would go to Beech Grove is for overhaul. The car would first be cut out at Lorton, then be moved lite to Washington. From there it would deadhead on the Capital Limited to Chicago and then on the Hoosier State to Beech Grove. Reverse that routing when it's completed.
The moves between LOR and WAS are not scheduled on days the Cardinal operates. That can add to turn around times.

Back