Roomette outlet question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if a 600 Watt microwave oven is too much, then most hair dryers would be too much. The lowest power hair dryer I found on a brief search was 1300 watts which is 10.3 amps. The 600 watt microwave oven is 5 amps assuming the manufacturer didn't do something weird with the power output such that it's 600 watts for the RF, and some random other power for the rest of the over.

I am not condoning nor recommending the use of a device such as this, I'm just providing some numbers for people to work off of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably because in the kitchen, people are a lot more careful with fire and more skilled and trained to put the fire out if it happens.

Equipment list for next trip: 1)Home entertainment Center 2)Slowcooker 3)Portable stove/oven 4)dorm sized frige

5) ingrediants for stew to be cooked 6)sodas,water and beer 7)cigars for after meal smoke 8)brandy for cordials

9)coffee maker Laugh? Priceless!! :lol: It's a New Years joke right?

Equipment list for next trip: 1)Home entertainment Center 2)Slowcooker 3)Portable stove/oven 4)dorm sized frige5) ingrediants for stew to be cooked 6)sodas,water and beer 7)cigars for after meal smoke 8)brandy for cordials

Don't for get a dictionary.

if a 600 Watt microwave oven is too much, then most hair dryers would be too much. The lowest power hair dryer I found on a brief search was 1300 watts which is 10.3 amps. The 600 watt microwave oven is 5 amps assuming the manufacturer didn't do something weird with the power output such that it's 600 watts for the RF, and some random other power for the rest of the over.
I am not condoning nor recommending the use of a device such as this, I'm just providing some numbers for people to work off of.
So it sounds like bringing a space heater is right out. But do you think they'd let me bring a radiator and some long flexible pipes to run through the hallways and vestibules of the cars between my sleeper and the diner, to draw hot water from the kitchen to my radiator? Also, what's the best way to affix a DISH satellite to the outside of a Superliner?

So it sounds like bringing a space heater is right out. But do you think they'd let me bring a radiator and some long flexible pipes to run through the hallways and vestibules of the cars between my sleeper and the diner, to draw hot water from the kitchen to my radiator? Also, what's the best way to affix a DISH satellite to the outside of a Superliner?
Wayman, I like this idea, perhaps Amtrak could market roomette/steam room combo. Regarding the satellite dish, since the superliner is stainless steel I might suggest a mig welder.

Even if the sleeper didn't catch fire I wouldn't want to be in a car where someone is cooking. The aroma might not be to my liking. I can see me now emptying my whole can of air freshner during someone's dinner. Seriously, just bring a cooler with sandwiches and drinks to hold you over. Better yet, spring for a yummy cheeseburger for the cafe car.

How do I request an baggage car for my lap pool-conversion? Heck, let me just couple a Mayflower Moving Van-RoadRailer to the end of the train, and I'll have EVERY comfort of home....

What if I brought my own miniature nuclear power generation plant along with, so that I didn't need to use the car's power supply. Do you think they'd care then?

Equipment list for next trip: 1)Home entertainment Center 2)Slowcooker 3)Portable stove/oven 4)dorm sized frige5) ingrediants for stew to be cooked 6)sodas,water and beer 7)cigars for after meal smoke 8)brandy for cordials

I am now seriously considering bringing a Ronco Showtime Rotisserie with me to cook baby back ribs and enough hot dogs for the entire car. Plus I can "set it and forget it" while I mosey on over to the lounge for a tall cool one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At the risk of being called out for heading this thread off topic...

Ron Popeil, the Ronco guy, is a regular rider on one of our Surfliners. He's a sweet guy, very smart, very generous.

Oh - and...

Travel light!

~BJG

I am now seriously considering bringing a Ronco Showtime Rotisserie with me to cook baby back ribs and enough hot dogs for the entire car. Plus I can "set it and forget it" while I mosey on over to the lounge for a tall cool one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh- and...Travel light!

~BJG
i will i only plain on bringing that propane grill a 32 inch flatscreen tv a barkalounger a compact refrigerator filled with beer a satallite dish so i can watch a football game and a air bed oh a cooler full of hamburgers hotdogs and chicken wings. :D

Hey - I've got most of that installed in the penthouse suite already! But Amtrak wouldn't let me install the nuclear powered generator. (Something about not being allowed in some cities. :angry: ) So I installed solar panels for power instead! :lol: (It works great except at night - then I shine lights on them! :p )

I'll make the BBQ sauce and buy the first round.

if i book all the rooms in 1 superliner car could i bring all my stuff in my house and make it a motor home on rails?
Now you're talking!

I think we would need a full sized fridge, several tv's, queen/king airbeds, a full bar set up, gadgets & gizmos for cooking & baking. And of course, the steam room/hot tub, set up in baggage! (And a smoking section!)

Back