Roomette 17???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan9

Train Attendant
I'm booked in Roomette 17 on the CL from DC to Chicago. Pondering this, I grew concerned. So far as I know, there are only 14 roomettes on Superliners!

Worried that I'd wind up making the trip in the baggage car, I called the 800 number. The agent told me that there's one car equipped with additional roomettes that are normally set aside for crew usage, but under certain circumstances (not specified) they're available to passengers. I still can't figure out from the floor plans I've seen where this might be located. Any ideas? Will post my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't be in the baggage car - it's a transdorm car that is used by the crew for sleeping accommodations. Since the crew does not always take up the whole car, the leftover rooms are sold to passengers.

i have been in the transdorm a couple times...it isn't bad..it is pretty quiet.

that said...you may want to be sure that the attendant remembers you're there...once i was in the transdorm and apparently since the crew is in there sleeping they don't make announcements -long story short, i almost missed dinner....when it got to be 6 and i never saw/heard anything i walked to the diner...that is how i found out that there aren't announcements in the transdorm..

YMMV of course.....

Here's the diagram for the upper level of the Trans/Dorm, showing what room you'll be in.

As a general rule, 4 to 6 roomettes are sold to the public in the Trans/Dorm. They're generally not the first rooms to be sold, usually they start selling as the other cars are nearing capacity.

And announcements should still be made in that car.

Announcements are not made only between 11 PM and 7 AM. Between 7 AM and (almost) 11 PM, most of the crew (such as cook, servers, cafe attendants, etc...) are not in their rooms sleeping, so announcements should be made there also.

Now I know why the attendant's roomette (#1) never seems to have been occupied by anything other than towels, pillows, ice, orange juice, etc... I'm really looking forward to this, since I thought I'd seen all the Superliner equipment. A bit of Googling tells me that these are Superliner 2 cars, which are designed to serve as low-level to high-level "transition" cars. Which means I'll be close to the baggage car, if not actually in it! it's car 2909, according to my reservation. Thanks to all - Bryan

Now I know why the attendant's roomette (#1) never seems to have been occupied by anything other than towels, pillows, ice, orange juice, etc... I'm really looking forward to this, since I thought I'd seen all the Superliner equipment. A bit of Googling tells me that these are Superliner 2 cars, which are designed to serve as low-level to high-level "transition" cars. Which means I'll be close to the baggage car, if not actually in it! it's car 2909, according to my reservation. Thanks to all - Bryan
Not all Superliner IIs. Only certain ones were Transdorms for replacing Hi-Levels. There were other Superliner IIs as well. They are generally not as good as the older Superliner Is.

Not all Superliner IIs. Only certain ones were Transdorms for replacing Hi-Levels. There were other Superliner IIs as well. They are generally not as good as the older Superliner Is.
All transdorms are Superliner IIs. Not all Superliner II sleepers are transdorms.

All transdorms are Superliner IIs. Not all Superliner II sleepers are transdorms.
I was talking about the passenger comfort of Superliner IIs as been "not as good" as the older Is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back