Riding train vs flying ... some questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

We're looking at booking a family trip from McGregor, Tx to Maricopa, AZ in November for a friend's wedding in Phoenix, but given we're a family of four (two toddlers) we're looking at options based on price and convenience. To fly it'd be about $1500 but for the train with a family sleeper it would be closer to $1950. Given the train trip would be 30 hours each way as opposed to the 3 hour flight plus a few hours of airport hassle just curious what else would be reasons to do the train over flying. Personally I've always wanted to take a train and I think the experience for the family would be a fun adventure, but I wanted to get others point of view on this since the train seems to be a common way to travel for many folks in the form, despite it being more expensive yet slower than flying.

Thanks..

Sam

1) Remember the cost of the room is per room, not per person. (did a quick search online and did not see $1950 for 2 adults/2 children in a family bedroom)

2) Remember that meals on the train are included in the price for a room.

3) Have you added in the costs of driving/parking/etc to both modes of transporation?

If you consider taking the train as part of your vacation, then it might be worth it. Consider the cost of the room compared to staying in a hotel an extra night and buying meals.

I went on a 2-1/2 day trip last fall to visit my daughter. I considered it a multi-vacation. Vacation on the trains, vacation in CHI for the layover & vacation visiting my daughter.

Hi,

We're looking at booking a family trip from McGregor, Tx to Maricopa, AZ in November for a friend's wedding in Phoenix, but given we're a family of four (two toddlers) we're looking at options based on price and convenience. To fly it'd be about $1500 but for the train with a family sleeper it would be closer to $1950. Given the train trip would be 30 hours each way as opposed to the 3 hour flight plus a few hours of airport hassle just curious what else would be reasons to do the train over flying. Personally I've always wanted to take a train and I think the experience for the family would be a fun adventure, but I wanted to get others point of view on this since the train seems to be a common way to travel for many folks in the form, despite it being more expensive yet slower than flying.
One thing to note is- the $1950 train fare in family sleeper includes dinner, breakfast, lunch and again dinner for all four of you in a full service restaurant-type setting, with beautiful views of the passing countryside. It also includes unlimited juice, bottled water and coffee for all of you.

Traveling by train is not for when you are running short on time, but if you can afford to have the time it takes, it is a very relaxing and enjoying way to travel. Amtrak trains have very comfortable seats and if you are in a bedroom you get a private room for yourself and the kids. You are free to move about, stretch your legs, talk to people, use your electronic devices and cellular phone all the time, no need to stay seated with seatbelt fastened nor the need to go through TSA security procedures.

I'd strongly recommend give it a shot once, you, and especially the kids, would enjoy it :) Just last week I traveled from Dallas to Tucson by flight and returned by Amtrak. The flight took little over 2 hours and the train ride took over 30 hours, but I enjoyed the latter more!

1) Remember the cost of the room is per room, not per person. (did a quick search online and did not see $1950 for 2 adults/2 children in a family bedroom)

3) Have you added in the costs of driving/parking/etc to both modes of transporation?

If you consider taking the train as part of your vacation, then it might be worth it. Consider the cost of the room compared to staying in a hotel an extra night and buying meals.

I went on a 2-1/2 day trip last fall to visit my daughter. I considered it a multi-vacation. Vacation on the trains, vacation in CHI for the layover & vacation visiting my daughter.
Yeah it was about $1950 total:

- Two adults: $240

- Two kids: $120

- Family Sleeper: $622

- Total is $982 one way, then double that for round trip

We're also looking at driving which would be about $220 in gas (2200 miles at 40 mpg and $4 per gallon) and we'd stay overnight probably half way for about $80 one night and we have enough points built up to cover a night on the return trip. We're actually staying with friends though, so no extra cost on hotel when we get to Phoenix so driving we could actually do it for around I'd guess $350-$400 also including food and such. Unfortuantely this trip was one that we haven't and much time to save-up for given it's a wedding that was really kinda scheduled last minute, but maybe ifw e can save-up for a trip it would be something we could look at for next year.

Thanks for the info :)

Personally I've always wanted to take a train and I think the experience for the family would be a fun adventure
Sam,

You answered your own question. The train can be a fun adventure. Nobody ever accused airline travel of being a "fun adventure" - at least not in the past 40 years.

If you compare the cost based on a method of getting from A to B, then the train often can't beat the plane. But if you consider the train as a part of the vacation, then you are getting vacation for that additional cost - a vacation you may find is something you fall in love with as many of us have. Your children will have an experience of a lifetime (and if things don't go well for Amtrak, they're only chance of a lifetime).

If you can afford that extra cost, go for it!

Life is too short to not have fun.

Personally I've always wanted to take a train and I think the experience for the family would be a fun adventure
Sam,

You answered your own question. The train can be a fun adventure. Nobody ever accused airline travel of being a "fun adventure" - at least not in the past 40 years.

If you compare the cost based on a method of getting from A to B, then the train often can't beat the plane. But if you consider the train as a part of the vacation, then you are getting vacation for that additional cost - a vacation you may find is something you fall in love with as many of us have. Your children will have an experience of a lifetime (and if things don't go well for Amtrak, they're only chance of a lifetime).

I like this :) For now with our Phoenix trip we may just drive just to save cash since it wasn't a trip we had much time to save-up for, but maybe we can plan something for next year when our kids are alittle older and if we can find some good promos... which honestly I'm having problems finding any discounts or promos from anyplace near us. But definitely from everything I've read plus the videos folks have posted on Youtube a train is for sure in our future!

We're also looking at driving which would be about $220 in gas (2200 miles at 40 mpg and $4 per gallon) and we'd stay overnight probably half way for about $80 one night and we have enough points built up to cover a night on the return trip. We're actually staying with friends though, so no extra cost on hotel when we get to Phoenix so driving we could actually do it for around I'd guess $350-$400 also including food and such. Unfortuantely this trip was one that we haven't and much time to save-up for given it's a wedding that was really kinda scheduled last minute, but maybe ifw e can save-up for a trip it would be something we could look at for next year.

Thanks for the info :)
Sorry, wasn't thinking round trip.

Maybe compromise and train out and fly back or vice-versa (for this trip or a future trip) for ~$225 more than R/T on plane. Check Amsnag for each direction as one date may be less than the other.

One thing to note is- the $1950 train fare in family sleeper includes dinner, breakfast, lunch and again dinner for all four of you in a full service restaurant-type setting, with beautiful views of the passing countryside. It also includes unlimited juice, bottled water and coffee for all of you.
To me "full service" implies that the restaurant makes their food cooked to order with fresh ingredients and can easily honor special requests. None of which is true for any dining car on any Amtrak train I've ever ridden. This, to me, is where the value proposition really begins to break down. Those diabetic frozen junk food meals are not even close to being worth hundreds of dollars.

Just last week I traveled from Dallas to Tucson by flight and returned by Amtrak.
&
Have you considered taking the train one-way and flying the other?
^ This.

The best advice I can give you is to try a much shorter day trip first to see how your family takes to it before committing yourself to multiple days on the train. If they seem to be enjoying themselves then go ahead and try a longer one way trip with a flight on the other end. For me I usually head on on the train and then fly back home as that seems to work best with my sensibilities. I would strongly recommend against taking Amtrak long distance both ways for your first train trip. If you're new to Amtrak it's probably best to start slow and build up to longer and longer trips over time.

What you need to do is sign up for two AGR credit cards (you and your spouse). If you follow the right links you should be able to snag 32,000 AGR points each after buying a couple packs of gum. Then when there is a bonus points period you can replenish your supply 13,000 points at a time for about $275 or so. If you happen to catch a discounted ticket period go ahead and buy the tickets at face value. Otherwise use your points. AGR isn't nearly as useful as it once was, but it's still the best deal going when it comes to travel via Amtrak.

Frankly it sounds like driving is your best option. Use the train to go some place on your own terms, not a date/destination dictated by

external factors (i.e. someone else's wedding). The advice about trying it for a shorter trip is good. A weekend trip up to Fort Worth or

Dallas would be relatively cheap (in comparison) and would still give you about 2 or 3 hours on the train each way so that you could

sample some of the amenities.

I would not consider driving your best option. There is more to driving then just gas, meals, and lodging. There is the wear and tear on your vehicle, maintenance and repairs (oil changes, tires, brakes, things that break, etc.), insurance, cost of owning the vehicle, and other misc. expensis. Including meals and lodging I would bet the real cost is closer to $1500-$1600 to drive.

Also, when driving, while this may not happen, you have the consider the possibility of breaking down. When you are on the road, a long way from home, you may end up having expensis for emergency car repairs or possibly even needing a rental car. I had a friend that drove to Florida to "save" money. He ended up blowing a head gasket on his way home in a newer car that was just out of warranty and had huge repair bill, hotel expensis, and other misc. expensis he incured. This is a gamble you need to be comfortable with.

In addition, to drive 2200 miles (1100 miles one way) at average 65mph, you are driving almost 17 hours in one direction. If you split the driving it may not be too bad but to sit in the car for that long of a period could be very boring. If you are not used to driving like this, it will be a very long trip.

Now one other consideration is do you need a car at your destination?

Do you really have to go? You can't really be expected to attend a wedding on short notice. Maybe instead of spending 2K on travel you can get them a nicer wedding present. You could see them later for a joint vacation or something for less money and spend more time with them. At weddings you don't get much quality time with the bride and groom .

I would not consider driving your best option. There is more to driving then just gas, meals, and lodging. There is the wear and tear on your vehicle, maintenance and repairs (oil changes, tires, brakes, things that break, etc.), insurance, cost of owning the vehicle, and other misc. expensis. Including meals and lodging I would bet the real cost is closer to $1500-$1600 to drive.
Way, way too high. First of all, the cost of insurance and "owning the vehicle" (whatever that means) is the same regardless of whether they drive or not. As you say, a r/t from McGregor to Phoenix is about 2,200 miles. So throw in a $30 oil change when you get home. Wear on brakes is not really an issue for a long highway trip (you don't use your brakes very often on an interstate). Factor in some tire wear, sure. The OP has calculated the cost of gas, meals and lodging at around $400, which sounds reasonable. There's no way the "wear and tear" adds another grand to that.

Also, when driving, while this may not happen, you have the consider the possibility of breaking down. When you are on the road, a long way from home, you may end up having expensis for emergency car repairs or possibly even needing a rental car. I had a friend that drove to Florida to "save" money. He ended up blowing a head gasket on his way home in a newer car that was just out of warranty and had huge repair bill, hotel expensis, and other misc. expensis he incured. This is a gamble you need to be comfortable with.

In addition, to drive 2200 miles (1100 miles one way) at average 65mph, you are driving almost 17 hours in one direction. If you split the driving it may not be too bad but to sit in the car for that long of a period could be very boring. If you are not used to driving like this, it will be a very long trip.
I'm just gonna go out on a limb and guess that someone living in central Texas is used to driving long distances. If the OP has a newish car in relatively good condition, the chances of an en route breakdown are minimal. People drive long distances across the country all the time, every day, winter spring summer fall. It's not that big of a deal, frankly. Anyone driving long distances should be prepared for the possibility of a breakdown, but if your car is in decent shape, that shouldn't stop you from traveling.

Sam,

I like this :) For now with our Phoenix trip we may just drive just to save cash since it wasn't a trip we had much time to save-up for, but maybe we can plan something for next year when our kids are alittle older and if we can find some good promos... which honestly I'm having problems finding any discounts or promos from anyplace near us. But definitely from everything I've read plus the videos folks have posted on Youtube a train is for sure in our future!
Use amsnag as your planning tool (www.amsnag.net). Because you can search a 30 day period, you can find when prices are best. Often there is a considerable difference between one day and the next so if you can be flexible on travel dates, you can save big. Also consider 2 roomettes. While it means the bathroom and shower is down the hall, often 2 roomettes beat a bedroom hands down. Would work only if the kids are little and 1 adult/1 child per room or if they are old enough to share a roomette. We have found out we could get two roomettes for the two of us cheaper than a BR and have done that on some trips.

If you have the time, the train is a relaxing, enjoyable way to see the coutryside, have some quality "family" time, and meet new friends along the way. I'm not sure how it would be with 2 toddlers, but you would have to decide how they would handle a train vs. driving. They might be more appreciative of a train at the age of 6 or above. I know I was!

Of course flying is the most expedient if you have short schedule. The downside of course is the airport arrival/departure hassle, and Phoenix Sky Harbor is no different than most other big airports. They do have decent ground transportaion now with linkups to Valley Metro Rail that runs from Mesa to northeast Phoenix, with dedicated bus connection from the airport. And the airport is centrally locateded (only about 3 miles from downtown Phoenix.

If you take the train you will arrive late in the evening at Maricopa, a bedroom community 35 miles south of Phoenix and no public mass transportation into the city. So taking the train would be require that someone would have to pick you up or be prepared to spend around $50 each way on a cab to wherever your final destination is in Phoenx.

Driving is going to be the least expenseive out-of-pocket, unless your car is falling apart and you wind up with an expensive repair enroute. True, wear and tear on the car is a factor, but it is not an immediate cash flow problem. Plus you have the convenience of stopping when you want and it provides local transportaition at your destination. Phoenix (or the Valley of the Sun as it is referred to locally) is definintely "urban sprawl", so, a personal auto would come in really handy. The good news is November is definitely one of the best months to visit southern Arizona. :cool:

Enjoy your trip and your stay in Phoenix. :hi:

Frankly it sounds like driving is your best option. Use the train to go some place on your own terms, not a date/destination dictated by

external factors (i.e. someone else's wedding). The advice about trying it for a shorter trip is good. A weekend trip up to Fort Worth or

Dallas would be relatively cheap (in comparison) and would still give you about 2 or 3 hours on the train each way so that you could

sample some of the amenities.
Also, if you haven't already done so, you may want to consider joining AAA. It could help if you do decide to drive this trip, with breakdown coverage, maps, and cheaper motels/dining/activities. And, when you do decide to take the train (I know you will), it can save you 10% on your tickets (not room charge). Of course, you'll then want to use AGR credit card to pay for your tickets and earn points toward another train trip. :cool:

Wow, lots of wonderful replies and some great info too! Here's a few replies...

Yes living in Central Texas we're used to driving and our car is only a year old, so putting 2200 miles on it shouldn't be a huge deal. Also I'mf factoring the gas at 2200 miles, we get on average 40 mpg highway, and at $4/gallon this is $220 in gas, so I'm adding another $180 in lodging and food which sounds reasonable to me. Plus we have some Marriott points that might be used for one night's stay, so maybe even less expensive.

Someone asked if we even have to go, and yes... my wife is maid of honor and our daughter is flower girl, plus it's one of our dearest friends, so yeah we want to be there.

As for getting a credit card for points, we already did that for Southwest Airlines when we were looking at just flying, and they gave us 25K points for the card... what sucks now is they're offering 50K points for the same card, and I already called asking if we could get the extra 25K points since we just signed up last month -- but no dice. I wonder if my wife could sign-up for the card instead if they'd give us the points since we live at the same address. Hmm, need to read-up on this.

But given we did the train to Maricopa, Az yeah it's 30 miles from Phoenix but our friends there could pick us up and they have a car we can use while there, plus we're staying with them... so all we have to really do is get there and pay for food. All else should be covered.

And www.amsnag.net looks great! I hadn't heard of it, but I'll definitely check it out!

Oh, and I looked at an AAA Card, but you only save 10% of fair and it's $50 for the card ... but 10% of our fair would be less than $50 so not sure if it'd help. I did look at the Student Advantage card since I'm a part time student and my wife works in a school, it's only $20 and saves 5% off fair. So that would be an option for sure.

So as of right now we're probably leaning more towards driving, but I agree with you guys to at least try the train on a short trip to Dallas or Austin and see how it goes. From what I hear the train goes from McGregor to downtown Ft Worth or Austin might be a fun weekend trip! We might check into this soon...

But thanks everyone for all the wondeful information. I never really looked at the train as a viable option until now, and I have no idea why...

Take care ---

People way underestimate what it costs to drive their cars. You have to consider way more than just gas and an oil change. I know I track what it costs me to drive and the costs isn't much less than the goverments rate per mile for bussiness (currently 0.555/mile) and drive a fairly cheap car and keep them for a long time.

A car does not last forever and using 2200 miles will shorten the life of the car by that much. A care is usually good for 120-150K before starting to have major problems (I know some would argue with me on this). If you pay $20,000 for the car and it goes 150,000 miles without any repairs that is 13.3 cents per mile right there. If you finance or even if you didn't, you need to consider the value of money over time so this will go up.

Even with a car lasting 150k miles, you are going to have maintenance and repairs. If you can do them yourself and you have the time, the cost will go down. Not only $30 for an oil change, other fluids, belts, hoses, tires, brakes, battery, wipes, lamps, cleaning, and other preventive maintenance items. You may even run into other major repairs that you need to perform. Even the "good" cars that people sware by have problems. Over the life of the car, theses costs may equal what you paid for the car but most likely will exceed.

You do have some fixed costs but I feel you need to include them in as well. Some say insurance is a fixed cost, but this can go up or down depending how much you drive. You have registration, inspections, taxes, etc. that a little to the cost. When adding up what it costs to drive, these costs are very minimal and only come to a few cents a mile.

I returned from a trip to Texas today, a much shorter ride than the one you would do from where you live to Phoenix. It took us "just" 12-13 hours one-way. I really detest driving long distances, hate flying more (we live 2 hours from the closest airport in Albuquerque), and love the train. But, unfortunately, Amtrak has no trains from Lamy or Albuquerque to San Antonio, we would've had to drive to Deming NM anyway to catch the train. So we were kind of "forced" to drive on this trip.

There is no way in the world I would choose to drive from your location in Texas to Phoenix with two toddlers in the car. You will have to stop at least every two hours or the kids will go nuts. Well, maybe they will sleep a little but the two hours between stops is what I would guess. Your choices for where to stay enroute are limited to Pecos or El Paso. Pecos is a wide spot in the road with expensive lodging and little choice in restaurants. The stretches of I-20 and I-10 you have to drive are boring beyond belief, except for Texas Canyon and the big rocks east of Tucson.

You should take the train or fly, driving will be a royal pain, take two days each way, and your kids will be so sick of the trip by the time they get to Phoenix they might not be "up to" attending the wedding. And, as others have said, putting 2200 miles on your car is a lot of wear and tear.

BTW, if you drive you definitely should join AAA just in case of a flat tire, breakdown, accident requiring a tow, etc. AAA is a lot more than hotel discounts. The free maps alone almost make membership worthwhile. And who wants their wife driving around town with two toddlers taking the chance of needing to change a flat tire?

Your dilemma about train, fly, or drive is a common one. Let us know what you decide.

Take the train! One thing I realise is that it does not feel like a long trip at all. The view out the window nevers stops transfixing me even in the plainest deserts and grassland. It does get boring when the train is going slow, though, but I don't expect too many speed restrictions on the Sun Belt! Plus you don't have to worry about ear pain during takeoff/landing even though I did learn a way to make it hurt less (squeeze nose).

Hope you have a great trip anyway!

People way underestimate what it costs to drive their cars. You have to consider way more than just gas and an oil change. I know I track what it costs me to drive and the costs isn't much less than the goverments rate per mile for bussiness (currently 0.555/mile) and drive a fairly cheap car and keep them for a long time.

A car does not last forever and using 2200 miles will shorten the life of the car by that much. A care is usually good for 120-150K before starting to have major problems (I know some would argue with me on this). If you pay $20,000 for the car and it goes 150,000 miles without any repairs that is 13.3 cents per mile right there. If you finance or even if you didn't, you need to consider the value of money over time so this will go up.

Even with a car lasting 150k miles, you are going to have maintenance and repairs. If you can do them yourself and you have the time, the cost will go down. Not only $30 for an oil change, other fluids, belts, hoses, tires, brakes, battery, wipes, lamps, cleaning, and other preventive maintenance items. You may even run into other major repairs that you need to perform. Even the "good" cars that people sware by have problems. Over the life of the car, theses costs may equal what you paid for the car but most likely will exceed.

You do have some fixed costs but I feel you need to include them in as well. Some say insurance is a fixed cost, but this can go up or down depending how much you drive. You have registration, inspections, taxes, etc. that a little to the cost. When adding up what it costs to drive, these costs are very minimal and only come to a few cents a mile.
Good job! You really show that drving isn't so cheap after all.

With toddlers it's really hard to know or even guess how a long trip - by any mode- will work out -- I've done a few by train plane and automobile when my kids were toddlers - and there are advantages and disadvantages to whatever way you choose.

Driving - you are in control, a few hundred miles of toddlers who scream can be ameliorated by a couple hours rest stop. Plan for at least 150% more than the minimum trip time. Allow for depreciation and gas and hotels - other costs -- that's for accountants.

Plane -- fastest - toddlers ears can hurt for days afterwards - cost totally depends --

Train -- depends how much you like driving - toddlers can be happy on the train - or not - the overall speed is like driving - the cost you got to figure - how much free time you have - my kids were quietest on the train - but that all depends -- you may not need a sleeper even for 30 hours - the young ones may fall asleep in your arms and you then have two seats to sprawl over --

Yo no se - it is a total tossup - pay your money, take your choice.

Wish you the best.

I hope your schedule allows you to take the train. If you do take the train I would like to suggest to be sure you book train #421 going or #422 coming back because of the layover in San Antonio

Good job! You really show that drving isn't so cheap after all.
This is one of the most irrational arguments for taking the train. It is simply economically cheaper to take a family car. You can't include the fixed costs of car ownership when taking a one-off trip. Those costs will be there if you add 2200 miles to your car or not. The fact of the matter is that you can even rent a car and depreciate IT and pay for the gas for less than taking the train for the most part. The economics of train travel fall apart rapidly after 1 person travelling in coach. It's very very hard for me to justify financially to take the train anywhere with my family when I can drive. Don't forget the costs associated upon arrival. Rental car or taxi. Unless you can walk to your hotel, wedding, etc. from the train station, you're gonna have to pony up. In June I took the Silver Meteor/Star RT to Orlando from Savannah. The train cost around $120 RT. I then paid for my meals on board (breakfast and lunch then lunch and dinner). That was about another $70. Then, because of the schedules, I had to have an extra night in a hotel that I didn't need if I drove ($70). Then I had to pay for the extra meals I enjoyed because I got there 12 hours before I needed to ($20). And the city bus. Where that didn't really cost much, it DID take FOREVER to get anywhere. 90 minutes for what would be a 20 minute drive by car is insane. When all was said and done, I ended up paying about $300 for my train trip. If I drove, I could have pulled in right before my conference and left right when it was done. Total cost would have been about $100 with food along the way. Had I taken my wife, the train costs would have doubled, my car would only have cost about $20 more in food. Now we're talking $500 vs $200. Getting a sleeper would not have made it any more economical. Throw in the three kids, and that would be $1100 vs $300. With all the hassles of public transportation, the lack of freedom in movement, and the waiting everwhere we went for a bus to show up, I KNOW that my wife and family would have been ready to send me to the guillotine if they accompanied me on this trip. And it was only 275 miles away.

As for all the maintainance costs of driving, increasing your annual usage by 10% by taking a single highway trip will not be a deal breaker. In fact a good highway drive using premium gas and a good synthetic oil change before and after can be theraputic to a car in and of itself, and actually increase its life and reduce overall costs.

So, take the train for the experience. NOT for it's speed. NOT for it's "value". Take it if it is going to be a part of your vacation. Sure there is value in taking the train - expecially for a trip as long as the OP is planning. And there is the added benefit of not being exhausted from the drive. But if you have a wife that can help you drive and take turns - and even if you choose to spend the night along the way at a motel - you'll save a load by driving. If you're trying to save a little coin and do things economically, by all means drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for all the maintainance costs of driving, increasing your annual usage by 10% by taking a single highway trip will not be a deal breaker. In fact a good highway drive using premium gas and a good synthetic oil change before and after can be theraputic to a car in and of itself, and actually increase its life and reduce overall costs.
While I agree with your math and arguments overall...

Premium gas does nothing to increase the efficiency of your car.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/premium-vs-regular-1

That was a tongue and cheek comment. I realize that, but there are higher end cars that require 91 to prevent detonation which can destroy high compression engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back