Return to Denver Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what it looked like in February 2013 -

20929_10200567769972963_1466940774_n.jpg

Passed through Denver on 6 earlier this week... the trainshed looks great and the station looked almost ready to open. A huge change from the last time I saw the station in October 2012.

But it was -10°F outside so I didn't look at it for long!

Amtrak's new timetable for the California Zephyr mentions the move back to Denver Union Station:

New Denver Station Location

Amtrak will move the California Zephyr from the current Denver location at 21st and Wewatta Streets into Denver Union Station,1701 Wynkoop Street in February 2014 on a date to be announced.
:cool: Look forward to Seeing it next time I ride the Zephyr ! And Goodbye to the Temporary Amshak Across the Street! ;)

Amtrak's new timetable for the California Zephyr mentions the move back to Denver Union Station:

Amtrak will move the California Zephyr from the current Denver location at 21st and Wewatta Streets into Denver Union Station,1701 Wynkoop Street in February 2014 on a date to be announced.
:cool: Look forward to Seeing it next time I ride the Zephyr ! And Goodbye to the Temporary Amshak Across the Street! ;)
You have to admit, as far as AmShack's go, Denver had one of the best! Really, that station and platform was constructed better than 50% of what Amtrak uses as permanent stations around the country. :help:

Very much waiting for the return to Denver Union though. And the best part will be the connections to regional light and heavy passenger rail when its all finished!

What about on their electrified lines?

I believe freight trains run on Metra electric line tracks. Or only on the parallel non electrified tracks?
Denver's electrified line will run parallel to UP's Limon Sub and then turn off to the airport. Metra Electric's Line runs parallel to CN but the freights have their own tracks.

Kinda OT but will Denver's commuter rail share its track with freight trains like Metro North and LIRR does? Albeit those two do it rarely, during rush hour.
One of the lines mentioned, was the BNSF line to Westminster.....it continues to Boulder, Fort Collins, Cheyenne, and joins BN's heavier route further north. I don't believe there are very many frieight trains at all on that route. Should not be a problem sharing it with commuter trains....
None of the line segments under construction will share track with freight. The line to Boulder (planned but not under construction past Westminster) is the only one planned to share track with freight, and actually, that line carries a lot of freight for a single-track line, so BNSF has asked for a *lot* of money for track-sharing.

You have to admit, as far as AmShack's go, Denver had one of the best! Really, that station and platform was constructed better than 50% of what Amtrak uses as permanent stations around the country. :help:

Very much waiting for the return to Denver Union though. And the best part will be the connections to regional light and heavy passenger rail when its all finished!
It is very likely the reason that the 'temporary' station was so well built, was that Amtrak probably had nothing to do with its funding. It was up to RTD and it's contractors to furnish Amtrak with reasonable accommodations during their period of displacement from their permanent home.....

Amtrak returns to Denver Union Station February 15th. 5(14FEB) and 6(14FEB) will be the first trains to stop there.

Union Station Renovation To Be A Game Changer For Denver

DENVER (CBS4) - Renovations to Denver’s Union Station are nothing short of a game changer. The project is being talked about across the nation and it will benefit Denverites for years to come....

The transportation project will include heated concrete to melt ice in the underground terminal, and vastly improved acoustics within the station. They call it an “urban living room”....

The new Union Station will also have several restaurants, as well as the 112 room Crawford Hotel

A public/private partnership came together to make the project happen. So far it’s created 10,000 new jobs. Private investor Chad McWhinney is happy with the partnership and calls Phil Washington and RTD “rock stars.”

Even counting job-years, rather than jobs, I find the 10,000 new jobs figure hard to believe.

Maybe they're counting job-days. :giggle:

They maybe counting all of the other RTD rail construction as well going on in the metro area here in Denver. There's a bit of it going on for the past 5-7 years. But 10,000... that's stretching it but I know someone in a engineering firm here that might be able to tell me if that's really realistic. In regards to the station as well, I think it's interesting what they are doing, but I wish they had kept in the classic sense. But they are trying to make that connection to Kansas, I mean, DIA, but to me it's a stretch. I may swing by there in the next week or so and check it out to see how it looks so far (and yes, post pics).

10,000 Jobs! :eek: Whoever was thne Honcho for this needs to be Flown to Washington ASAP (Air Force One would be a Good way to get them there if the Zephyr and Cap are too Slow! ^_^ ) and get busy helping create Jobs all over the Country!

Sounds like CoC Boosterism!!! ;)

One guy on the job site hitting nails.

A runner bring supply to the workers.

A on-site supply manager.

A on-site clerk to keep track of paperwork.

Account payable clerk for the job.

Deliver driver to bring nails to work site.

A warehouse forklift operator.

A warehouse picker.

A warehouse shipping clerk.

A warehouse billing clerk.

A warehouse in-bound recv clerk.

A warehouse accounts payable clerk.

A warehouse maintainer.

A warehouse inside housekeeper.

A warehouse grounds keepers.

A warehouse manager.

A warehouse buyer.

A deliver driver (Over-The-Road).

A mech to fix the truck.

A parts clerk.

A Shop supervisor.

A clerk to charge warranties.

Oh the list will keep growing into it reach 10,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
One guy on the job site hitting nails.

A runner bring supply to the workers.

A on-site supply manager.

A on-site clerk to keep track of paperwork.

Account payable clerk for the job.

Deliver driver to bring nails to work site.

A warehouse forklift operator.

A warehouse picker.

A warehouse shipping clerk.

A warehouse billing clerk.

A warehouse in-bound recv clerk.

A warehouse accounts payable clerk.

A warehouse maintainer.

A warehouse inside housekeeper.

A warehouse grounds keepers.

A warehouse manager.

A warehouse buyer.

A deliver driver (Over-The-Road).

A mech to fix the truck.

A parts clerk.

A Shop supervisor.

A clerk to charge warranties.

Oh the list will keep growing into it reach 10,000.
Plus I would think they would hire many more than 1 person to hammer nails.

Amtrak returns to Denver Union Station February 15th. 5(14FEB) and 6(14FEB) will be the first trains to stop there.
UPDATE: Amtrak returns to Denver Union Station February 28th. 6(27FEB) will be the first train to stop there.

*crosses fingers* Here's hoping no more snags come up!

If ACS-64 is correct about the exact timing, the 28th could be an entertaining day for taking photos near Denver Union Station.

#5 should come through and stop at the temporary station in the early morning. As soon as it departs, the station will be closed and the staff will move everything over to Union Station. In *daylight*. At which point Union Station would open up, prior to the evening arrival of #6.

Does that sound like the plan, ACS-64? If so, it would provide gobs of photo opportunities. (A mess would result if #5 were delayed, of course.)

I feel a trip on the CZ coming up! :D
I feel a trip TO Denver is in the making!

First time there in 75 or 76, (whenever JAWS came out) I was heading to Cali from summer ski camp at A-Basin, and had time to kill the day BEFORE my Rio Grande Zephyr was due to leave Denver. As a high school kid, and at the time the station was not well maintained, I had free reign to EXPLORE. I think the lunch-counter cafe closed a year or two later, it was just like walking around in a time warp...

One KNEW everything one was seeing was just "hanging on", (Like when I visited Detroit's old Michigan Central Station, when they still had a cafe, shoe shine, etc.... but yet I KNEW it was likely to be gone before I caught a train home......) even the staff was old and ready to say "Goodbye".... or so it seemed. Doom was in the air, or so it seemed.

So I roamed the different levels, even got up in the catwalks, since there was virtually no security, and got a good "tour" of Denver Union Station, on my own.

Saw the movie JAWS that night, had a 2% or 3% Coors (or two) that night, took Denver's Transit bus to Denver Union Station the next day to catch the Rio Grande, and damn if the buses weren't running on time.........

Once I got to the station, I ran up to the gate agent, showed him my ticket, and he said, "That train sliding out of the station right now is probably the train you had tickets on..................." Grrrrrrrrrr. I ended up changing my ticket to ride Amtrak up thru Cheyenne, and thought I'd never get a chance to see the beauty of Glenwood Canyon, but luckily, several years later I did.

So, after that maudlin story, I'm ready to see the "New" Denver Union Station" first hand.

#5 should come through and stop at the temporary station in the early morning. As soon as it departs, the station will be closed and the staff will move everything over to Union Station. In *daylight*. At which point Union Station would open up, prior to the evening arrival of #6.
Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back