Restroom Out of Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Write a letter of complaint about the missing attendant, hopefully he will face some consequences.
I am not sure, from what has been given, that the attendant was truly missing. Though rare, I thought sometimes an attendant might have to cover more than one car. Or there might have been another problem, worse than the bathroom, that the attendant needed to be more involved with. I just don't know.
Don't car attendants typically cover more than one car? I didn't think each coach had its own attendant.
Usually yes, but if heavy loads, they may staff one per car, or at least we used to, back "in the day".

Last edited by a moderator:
what Amtrak needs to do is hire more onboard managers.the crews slack off cause they know they can get away with it. their not being supervised enroute. they're just like children and need to be treated as such. granted there are some who act like responsible adults but most crew members do not. now the attendant should have locked the doors and put a sign up saying out of order but he/she didn't so call amtrak and let them know. if you want write a letter to the head of amtrak.

what Amtrak needs to do is hire more onboard managers.the crews slack off cause they know they can get away with it. their not being supervised enroute. they're just like children and need to be treated as such. granted there are some who act like responsible adults but most crew members do not. now the attendant should have locked the doors and put a sign up saying out of order but he/she didn't so call amtrak and let them know. if you want write a letter to the head of amtrak.
First of all, can you please improve your grammar a bit? It's distracting (and hypocritical) to read someone's complaints about others acting like children when the author can't be bothered to type like an adult. Also, as much as Amtrak disappoints me I can't exactly agree that "most" of crew are bad. I'd say it's typically been about a third or so who didn't seem to take their job seriously and maybe a quarter who disappointed me enough to remember their faces. That's still pretty bad in my view, but nowhere near "most." Most of the crew are simply so-so.

what Amtrak needs to do is hire more onboard managers.the crews slack off cause they know they can get away with it. their not being supervised enroute.
Aren't the car service attendants, supervised en-route by the LSA, and the Conductor?
Unless there is some major issue, the conductors generally do not supervise the on board service crew beyond anything that has to do with the safe operation of the train. That is not their job.

The senior LSA is in nominal charge of the rest of the OBS crew. However, since they are in the same union as the car attendants, this can make things a bit difficult for them to supervise the rest of the OBS crew.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are far more managers on these trains than you think. That's not to suggest that there is one on every train, there isn't. But again, there is a lot more management than most people think.

As for managers on every train, Amtrak tried that once before. They were called the Chief of Onboard Services. Just like the rest of the OBS staff, there were those who were good and were all over the train making sure that things were being done right and that the passengers were getting the things that they should be getting from the crews. And then there were the COB's that never stuck their heads out of their rooms, except to take their meals in the dining car.

Maybe it's just me but adding managers very well could lead to a situation where there are "too many chiefs and not enough indians" because any added managers would probably come at the expense of hiring more SA's. Then there would be a whole new slew of problems.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are far more managers on these trains than you think. That's not to suggest that there is one on every train, there isn't. But again, there is a lot more management than most people think.
then the management is slacking off. cause there are more and more posts on here about crappy service. if something doesn't change soon amtrak is going to put themselves out of business cause no one is going to ride.

then the management is slacking off. cause there are more and more posts on here about crappy service. if something doesn't change soon amtrak is going to put themselves out of business cause no one is going to ride.

Then how come ridership numbers keep going up??? You find posts on here about poor service, sure. But if 95% of the time service is good and 5% of it is bad, how much of the 95% are you going to find on these and other forums??? Most people are going to complain when service is bad and not say a word when it's good or at least passable. The bad stands out and the good gets overlooked if it is even mentioned at all. My guess is that poor service, while of course it happens, doesn't occur with the frequency that some think it does.

First of all, can you please improve your grammar a bit?
i ill ype ow i vant to ype
eye vil otn drea yna fo ti..
I use the spell checker (top line on the right, next to the Emoticons) all the time when I post.

Sew eye no eye maid know miss steaks!

mosking.gif
mda.gif
mosking.gif

I don't have to bow down to you members. This is a forum not a school and I will type and spell how I want to. Don't like kiss my a$$ im not going to be bulled by you members that's why they invented the ignore button.

to the mods im sorry but i refuse to put up with this crap from other members any longer. I refuse to play the victim here.

Aloha

Please let us share the Aloha, It is not necessary to correct each other, we are rail friends. The only thing worse than my typing is my spelling. I know it, and try to not make mistakes but every-time I wash my hands I can't control my fingers. Harping at anyone won't change things. If someone's skills bother you, then skip that message.

Mahalo

I just don't understand why this situation has to be so complex.

On every Surfliner I've ever ridden where a toilet problem crops up (and they do given the heavy usage on these trains) the conductor has immediately locked it and put up a sign.

Not to make a mountain out of a molehill, but could the problem have been that the car attendant was unaware of the problem?

Nevertheless, I would think any attendant/conductor/snack car operator/etc. who found out a toilet was not operating would immediately close it. The exception just seems to be almost inconceivable, even allowing for all of the comments about Amtrak's inconsistent service.

Excellent post Eric, we "experienced" members (aka Older! ^_^ )all have some problems with our fingers, hands,wrists and sometimes our minds! :lol: Ive always thought that those that demanded perfection in anything needed to look in a mirror first!(and my old English teacher is spinning in her grave! :giggle: )

Nobody is demanding anything, nor is there any judgment or animosity being directed at folks who simply make an honest mistake. A rather reasonable point was made that if someone is going to openly criticize others for acting "childish" but are themselves too lazy to write like an adult then they're just being a hypocritical. That must have set this kid off because he then decided to go posting on my personal profile page about how proud he is to be intentionally ignorant of proper English. I didn't know our personal pages are there for others to muck-up with their childish tantrums. It's true that I'll occasionally correct the writing of others but I also don't mind having my own writing corrected when I make an obvious mistake. That's the difference. Heck, if anything I'm thankful someone clued me in. In a country that only expects its citizens to learn one single language the least we can do is attempt to use it correctly.

Nobody is demanding anything, nor is there any judgment or animosity being directed at folks who simply make an honest mistake. A rather reasonable point was made that if someone is going to openly criticize others for acting "childish" but are themselves too lazy to write like an adult then they're just being a hypocritical. That must have set this kid off because he then decided to go posting on my personal profile page about how proud he is to be intentionally ignorant of proper English. I didn't know our personal pages are there for others to muck-up with their childish tantrums. It's true that I'll occasionally correct the writing of others but I also don't mind having my own writing corrected when I make an obvious mistake. That's the difference. Heck, if anything I'm thankful someone clued me in. In a country that only expects its citizens to learn one single language the least we can do is attempt to use it correctly.
aint be nobody who dont be ritin like dey talks

Seriously, though, poor writing bothers me, though it probably hurts the author more than me (because it detracts from what may be a valid argument).

Just to get back on topic here about the restrooms and customer service. ( I searched to see if anyone else had dealt with broken restrooms)

I believe I traveled in the same car as the original poster, returning to MT.

As stated it was pretty bad.

I did write Amtrak, addressed to the President of Amtrak, concerning this and the absolute mob scene when boarding at Union Station in DC.

(I was traveling with a youngster and feel very fortunate we were able to have seats together.)

I detailed the on-board situation and made a couple of suggestions as to improve things. I also asked that I receive a follow up to my letter.

Two months later I have yet to hear back from anyone from Amtrak.

Question - for those who have written, have you received replies?

I am not sour on Amtrak, I just think things could have been done better.

Just to get back on topic here about the restrooms and customer service. ( I searched to see if anyone else had dealt with broken restrooms)

I believe I traveled in the same car as the original poster, returning to MT.

As stated it was pretty bad.

I did write Amtrak, addressed to the President of Amtrak, concerning this and the absolute mob scene when boarding at Union Station in DC.

(I was traveling with a youngster and feel very fortunate we were able to have seats together.)

I detailed the on-board situation and made a couple of suggestions as to improve things. I also asked that I receive a follow up to my letter.

Two months later I have yet to hear back from anyone from Amtrak.

Question - for those who have written, have you received replies?

I am not sour on Amtrak, I just think things could have been done better.
Follow up with a letter to Customer Service, and copies to Boardman. A handwritten Post-It note doesn't hurt either..........

I don't have to bow down to you members. This is a forum not a school and I will type and spell how I want to. Don't like kiss my a$$ im not going to be bulled by you members that's why they invented the ignore button.

to the mods im sorry but i refuse to put up with this crap from other members any longer. I refuse to play the victim here.
If English is a recent second language for someone, or they have some physical impairment that makes typing difficult, or they didn't have enough schooling to learn grammar, I would be happy to cut them some slack.

Random streams of words and symbols are painful to read, difficult to follow, don't contribute to the discussion, and detract from the poster's credibility.

As Amtrak equipment continues to age and maintenance becomes lax, problems like these will get increasingly more common. My uncle took a trip on the Autotrain this spring and booked the handicapped room. He said that the room stunk to holy hell. It was so bad that they moved him and his wife to two roometttes down the hall. Either the toilet was not working or the holding tank hadn't been cleaned but it was gross. Amtrak needs to be more dilligent on fixing broken equipment. I also just wonder when the Viewliner sleepers will at least be refurbished?

I also just wonder when the Viewliner sleepers will at least be refurbished?
Amtrak needs to finish refurbishing the Superliners first, since they are older than the Viewliners.

That said, many Viewliners have been given more minor updatings of their furnishings and that process will continue; assuming funds remain available. But any major overhauls remain years away. Save Acela and some California cars, the Viewliners are amongst the newest cars in Amtrak's fleet.

There are good attendants and bad ones.....In july one of ours on #5 was much more concerned about when smoke breaks came up en route rather than helping people, though she did try on occasion.

As for the duct tape idea, wish I'd thought of it. Way to many times people bug me when I'm reading in the downstairs of the lounge after the attendant has gone on dinner leave or such. You'd think with the lounge service closed temporarily they would have a clue.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back