reserved coach seat vs. lower level coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to get concerned. We leave from Richmond, VA, for Emeryville June 28, and I'm still finding questions to ask! After getting replies to my hair washing question and then reading some replies to other questions concerning sleepers, I got on the Amtrak site again. To get a roomette from Denver to E,ville would cost another $380--that's probably out of the question. But then I noticed something I had noticed months earlier but hadn't given much thought to--a lower level coach seat costs $183 more than my existing coach seat but the Amtrak site doesn't give much in the way of specifics about what you get for that $183(or if the info. is there, I'm not seeing it). I'm sure somebody out there can tell me the difference and can probably tell me if it's worth the money. Thanks.

It's definately not worth the extra money IMHO. Other than being on the upper level, the seat is identical to an upper level seat.

It is a bit closer to the bathrooms and the luggage rack, and there are less people walking by your seat, since everyone moves from car to car on the upper level. On the other hand, track noise is louder on the lower level and you have less sway.

But there are no other perks associated with being on the lower level.

I'm starting to get concerned. We leave from Richmond, VA, for Emeryville June 28, and I'm still finding questions to ask! After getting replies to my hair washing question and then reading some replies to other questions concerning sleepers, I got on the Amtrak site again. To get a roomette from Denver to E,ville would cost another $380--that's probably out of the question. But then I noticed something I had noticed months earlier but hadn't given much thought to--a lower level coach seat costs $183 more than my existing coach seat but the Amtrak site doesn't give much in the way of specifics about what you get for that $183(or if the info. is there, I'm not seeing it). I'm sure somebody out there can tell me the difference and can probably tell me if it's worth the money. Thanks.
A quick check on Amtrak.com shows the roomette to be $371 from DEN to EMY.
It also shows the coach price as $146. It also shows the lower level coach price as $146. That's not an additional $146, but the same $146 as the upper level coach seat. You just get a choice of if you want to be up or down for the same amount.

Hope this helps.

163890172-L.jpg

Until a few years ago, the lower level was for handicapped people only. Now, although anyone can use it, most people prefer the upper level because it is closer to the lounge car and diner and there's a better view.

There are several other reasons most people prefer not to sit in the lower level, which can probably be found by doing a search.

Handicapped folks still try to sit on the lower level, if the seats haven't already been taken by people who have no handicaps. It is difficult for people who have problems with knees, legs, lungs, etc. to get up and down the stairs to use the washrooms.

Until a few years ago, the lower level was for handicapped people only. Now, although anyone can use it, most people prefer the upper level because it is closer to the lounge car and diner and there's a better view. There are several other reasons most people prefer not to sit in the lower level, which can probably be found by doing a search.

Handicapped folks still try to sit on the lower level, if the seats haven't already been taken by people who have no handicaps. It is difficult for people who have problems with knees, legs, lungs, etc. to get up and down the stairs to use the washrooms.
A certain amount of lower level seats are still held for the elderly or handicapped, you just can't book them via the online system, you must call Amtrak to get one of those seats.

A quick check on Amtrak.com shows the roomette to be $371 from DEN to EMY.
It also shows the coach price as $146. It also shows the lower level coach price as $146. That's not an additional $146, but the same $146 as the upper level coach seat. You just get a choice of if you want to be up or down for the same amount.

Hope this helps.

163890172-L.jpg

You're right, I just read the prices wrong. I was reading the lower level price as being in addition to the price I already paid for a coach seat. Thanks for the clarification. Also, during the few hours since I made the initial post, the price of a roomette has dropped to $307 for a roomette. Amtrak has some strange pricing policies. Jim

You're right, I just read the prices wrong. I was reading the lower level price as being in addition to the price I already paid for a coach seat. Thanks for the clarification. Also, during the few hours since I made the initial post, the price of a roomette has dropped to $307 for a roomette. Amtrak has some strange pricing policies. Jim
Someone either cancelled a reservation or failed to pay for one. So the cheaper priced room went back on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back