Regional to Acela in Baltimore

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Looking at taking train #181 midweek this summer from Aberdeen MD to Baltimore Penn Station to catch Acela 2158 to Boston. 181 arrives into BAL at 8:58. 2158 departs at 9:34. Is this too tight to catch the Acela? I just know things work differently out on the NEC. I'm used to long distance trains and wouldn't dream of booking this. Thanks!

Just you're aware Al, BAL-BOS is not a select city pair. If you really care about collecting AGR points, you will only get 2 points per $. From a select city pair (such as WAS-BOS), you'll earn 500 points in Business Class or 750 points in First Class!

What about taking 130 to WIL? I realize you won't have as much Acela time, but at least 130 and 2158 are moving the same direction...

We are turning in points to go FC on Acela so points won't be an issue. :) All I've done today is researched what train departures would work for us and not leave us sitting somewhere for very long. I will look at the schedule of the 130 and see if it is better for us. We've only been on Acela once with Alan B. for about 30 minutes. So we want to take Acela instead of a regional to BOS and I figured we might as well "do it up right" by going First Class.

Think I will redeem our points this evening for Acela FC. I have another question: Taking the Regional 181 from Aberdeen to BAL, do I need to make a reservation for that or can I just walk up and pay that morning? I prefer to have all my ducks in a row but just don't know how full trains are midweek during the middle of July.

Definitely reserve. All NEC trains are reserved, and as a general policy they don't sell on board on the NEC, they can just turn you away (granted, they won't know until you're on board and you're only going one stop, but still...). Even where Amtrak does sell on board, the fare is only sold at the top Y bucket, so anything you can get online will probably be much cheaper.

Well most of Amtrak's trains are reserved, but that doesn't mean you can't buy a ticket on board, some people do. But, Amtrak has changed its policies in recent years (especially with the advent of e-ticketing) to encourage people to buy before they board. You will pay the highest fare possible on board, so there is no incentive to not do the reservation. However, you must pay for your reservation before you board as well. The days of making a reservation, and then paying that price on board are gone on most routes. As stated on Amtrak.com...

OnboardOn most Amtrak trains, only the full, undiscounted, unrestricted fare will be available for purchase onboard the train. This is regardless of reservations made or fares previously quoted. To secure the best available fare, passengers should purchase tickets prior to boarding the trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well most of Amtrak's trains are reserved, but that doesn't mean you can't buy a ticket on board, some people do. But, Amtrak has changed its policies in recent years (especially with the advent of e-ticketing) to encourage people to buy before they board. You will pay the highest fare possible on board, so there is no incentive to not do the reservation. However, you must pay for your reservation before you board as well. The days of making a reservation, and then paying that price on board are gone on most routes. As stated on Amtrak.com...

Onboard

On most Amtrak trains, only the full, undiscounted, unrestricted fare will be available for purchase onboard the train. This is regardless of reservations made or fares previously quoted. To secure the best available fare, passengers should purchase tickets prior to boarding the trains.
Actually several years ago Amtrak changed its policy on the NEC and conductors are not allowed to sell tickets on the NEC trains. You must have a ticket prior to boarding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back