Refurbished Superliner coaches

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Does anyone know how many Superliner coaches have been refurbished with power outlets at every row of seats? Are these cars still used mostly on the EB, or are they rotating around the system?

I second this post! Heading up north on the Coast Starlight and I'd love to know if I'm going to run out of laptop power in Moorpark or so.

The CL usually has them, EB is good about it too.

As for number or routes, I don't know preferences beyond that

Between the Heartland Flyer and Texas Eagle it seems to be about a 50/50 chance of getting a refurbished Coach; so I imagine they are pretty well mixed throughout the system.

The EB has updated coaches? Interesting. I never saw any on the three trips I made in August. They must have been on the PDX section of the train if we had any. We did have one updated lounge car, but since I went from GPK to SEA, it wasn't long before we said goodbye to it in SPK.

I will be happy to see them all get updated some day. Of course, by then, it will likely be time to begin upgrading them again. Perhaps then with TV screens in the headrest, satellite networks, and movies. I don't need these things yet, but if some airlines have them in coach for 2 hour flights, it's only a matter of time before it will seem necessary on 2 day train trips. However, the small 5" screen in much closer on an airplane. :lol:

The EB has updated coaches? Interesting. I never saw any on the three trips I made in August. They must have been on the PDX section of the train if we had any. We did have one updated lounge car, but since I went from GPK to SEA, it wasn't long before we said goodbye to it in SPK.

I will be happy to see them all get updated some day. Of course, by then, it will likely be time to begin upgrading them again. Perhaps then with TV screens in the headrest, satellite networks, and movies. I don't need these things yet, but if some airlines have them in coach for 2 hour flights, it's only a matter of time before it will seem necessary on 2 day train trips. However, the small 5" screen in much closer on an airplane. :lol:
Not only were they one back when I rode her a couple times in September, I heard they were on through most of the month and into October.

I didn't encounter an refurbished coach in either direction on the EB last week. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

It'd be nice if Amtrak had a way to use them exclusively on the longer, two night routes, like the EB, CZ, SWC, SL.

It's such a great amenity to have and it can be a challenge to find free outlets in the Sightseer lounge at times.

Does anyone know how many Superliner coaches have been refurbished with power outlets at every row of seats? Are these cars still used mostly on the EB, or are they rotating around the system?
There were at least two of them on the CS #14 yesterday (Nov 21) out of LAX, and I happened to be seated in one. It was fantastic. Now if Amtrak can figure out how to provide WiFi, it would be perfect.

Frankly speaking, what you'll get is what you're going to get and there's little you can do about it. If you wind up with an outlet that's great, but if not... c'est la vie! No sense worring about it! If the use of a computer is that important then take out a second mortgage on your house :eek: to purchase a second backup battery. If it's not that important, then just conserve, limit your usage and enjoy the scenery when & where you can!

Last edited by a moderator:
There were at least two of them on the CS #14 yesterday (Nov 21) out of LAX, and I happened to be seated in one. It was fantastic. Now if Amtrak can figure out how to provide WiFi, it would be perfect.
Rent a few cars from Sounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back