Refunds if Shutdown?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any ideas on this? I just booked a cross country round trip on Amtrak for mid August two weeks ago. Sleepers all the way. Due to the proposed funding cuts, if Amtrak was to shutdown earlier, would I still get a refund? My credit card was already charged and when I called the agent, she said don't worry about it, it won't happen. Any ideas about if they could keep my money if they declare bankruptcy? I'm also concerned about what mood they would be in on the train. What would the timeline look like as to when this would hit the House and Senate? I saw this coming with the hearings and wanted to get in one last trip before it may shut down. Thanks for your ideas,

Nervous in New York

Worst case you'll get a refund. Either through Amtrak or your credit card company. August you should be pretty safe assuming the Bush Administration doesnt play any games with Amtraks last $60 million of funding for this quarter.

Make the calls to your members of congress. Its more then just Amtrak, its our country we're loosing.

Guest_Amtrak_flyer said:
Worst case you'll get a refund. Either through Amtrak or your credit card company. August you should be pretty safe assuming the Bush Administration doesnt play any games with Amtraks last $60 million of funding for this quarter.
Make the calls to your members of congress. Its more then just Amtrak, its our country we're loosing.
If Amtrak shuts down, you won't be getting a refund from them (because they'll be flat out of cash). Most credit card companies will protect you from such events, but the extent of the protection, and the timeline (i.e. you're not protected more than a certain period of time after purchase) might vary from company to company.

I agree with Amtrak_Flyer. First your credit card company will refund, if Amtrak goes belly up. However, that is unlikely to happen before September, and even if the funding was too low, Congress almost never passes the budget on time. That means that Amtrak gets funded through October and into November, until such time as they finally do pass the actual budget.

The rule is, that funding continues at the prior year's level, until the new budget is in place. So it's very unlikely that you'd see any shutdown in August, and that assumes that Congress doesn't up the funding, something that IMHO is most likely to happen.

Support for Amtrak is too strong for them to kill it, yet not strong enough to stop this annual and stupid debate.

Do you mean that the trains may be shut down for next year? We were kicking around a trip to Seattle or San Francisco on a train.

Maybe not a complete shut-down even though that's possible, I will say maybe a temporary shut down if it comes to that!

But for sure, lets just say "major changes are coming!" OBS...

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Maybe not a complete shut-down even though that's possible, I will say maybe a temporary shut down if it comes to that!
But for sure, lets just say "major changes are coming!" OBS...
I don't see a "temporary" shutdown as possible, especially with the long-distance trains.

Once they shut down, they're not starting back up.

I have tickets for a march trip from hutchinson-philadelphia and back via the chief, capitol limited and a regional. I'm sure the regional will still be there but I may have to drive to DC to catch it. I wrote our Senator Brownback and told him if Amtrak went bankrupt, I was going to send for my refund to GWB.

I agree with madisonwi, that there will be no temps, only total and permanent shutdown. State and local governemt steping up to fund the long distance trains is only political spin so Bush can say, "Hey guys, I didn't kill amtrak, the states and locals did that by not funding it."

rmadisonwi said:
I don't see a "temporary" shutdown as possible, especially with the long-distance trains.
Once they shut down, they're not starting back up.
Well I agree to a point. That is most likely the case for the long distance trains! But in my opinion there will be some kind of train on some routes in the long run. In other words there is a bigger plan in the works if you ask me. I base that conclusion on my observations from within, however I may be wrong in my speculation. I am not going to go into detail, but I don't see any long distance trains unless they are operated by another carrier. Even Auto Train is in danger of being lost! But I can definitely agree with you with the fact "if the long distance routes cease, they are never coming back as Amtrak routes!" OBS...

Maybe they will be operated by Carnival, Celebrity, or Disney Cruise Lines. Wasn't that what Mr. Mineta said regarding the Alaska RR. How State and local efforts work and bring cruise tourists to the interior. That would help the economy of Kansas; bring in loads of Carnival cruisers to see the worlds largest hand dug well or the worlds largest ball of twine or the worlds largest prarie dog.

Back