Redcaps ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonys96

Conductor
We will be taking the CS northbound from LAX early next month. We will walk over to LAUS from the Metro Plaza Hotel (thanks to AU'ers for that recommendation!). We will have checked baggage, and carry on also, as we have a roomette.

I assume this is like any other station, we go to the desk and check in, check the bags and, as I understand it, we can go wait for the train in the Traxx.....but how do we obtain redcap service? It would be nice to not take the chance to get mixed up or lost in the shuffle, so a redcap would be nice service to get us to the correct train.....even though we are both perfectly capable of walking. If there are some who are mobility impaired, we would certainly relinquish the redcap to them if need be.

How do we get access to the redcaps?

Also, we will be connecting to the Eastbound EB in PDX, what is that like? There is a reasonably short window, if the trains are on time, so should we ask for redcap help in PDX also? If so, how?

All our checked bags are checked all the way through from LAX to MSP, so we should not need to be worried about them making the train, should we? We have not been in the position of making a connection before, as all of our trips have been on one train only.

Thanks for the help!

The redcaps are normally available at the drop-off zone in the front driveway. They know (very well!) when arrival and boarding times are, so you can expect them to be available then and not hanging out taking a break.

If there's just the two of you, your redcap will probably be handling other passengers' bags as well. They can normally expedite the luggage checking process for you so that you can bypass that line. However, if you arrive early and plan to hang out at Traxx, they will probably advise you to keep your carry-on luggage with you in the lounge until they come to pick up passengers for boarding.

A tip of $1 per bag, minimum $2, is appropriate. Be more generous if they provide special assistance.

No problem at LAX just tell the Amtrak person at TRAXX that you want the Redcap.

At PDX the Redcap took me from the CS to the EB and even went into the station and checked me in.

No problem at LAX just tell the Amtrak person at TRAXX that you want the Redcap.At PDX the Redcap took me from the CS to the EB and even went into the station and checked me in.
How did you find/get the redcap at PDX? Were they just hanging out when the CS arrived, or did you tell your SCA you wanted one?

As for tipping, my g/f is an excellent tipper...far more than I do, in fact, she nearly always adds some bux to whatever I tip. In restaurants, I usually add it to the credit card bill,,,AND she puts cash on the table.

Unless you have quite a bit of carry on luggage you may not need a Red Cap. I have circulation issues and am able to make it to & from the train at PDX. (LAX is a different story)

Last edited by a moderator:
When the conductor or sca comes around to tell you that the train is approaching PDX, tell them you need the redcap, they will have them meet the train or pretty soon there after. I have only had to wait a couple minutes for one to arrive. They only have one redcap person at PDX, but they do a great job and will take you directly to the EB if it is already in the station and will get you checked in. I always tip them higher than those at LAX because of the extra work they do for us.

I believe that when you check your bags through to your final destination, You do not need to worry about them when changing trains. Is that right? We go from ROC to CHI to Santa Fe and just take care of our carry on bag. The bags meet us at the end.

That is correct; if your baggage is checked through to final destination Amtrak will take care of all the transfers.

In PDX, if the CS is nearly on time or a little late, the transfer can be done without going into the station or even without using a Red Cap. The CS arrives on on track and the EB is on the next track - under the same canopy! :) Total distance from train to train is 10-15 feet!

I believe that when you check your bags through to your final destination, You do not need to worry about them when changing trains. Is that right? We go from ROC to CHI to Santa Fe and just take care of our carry on bag. The bags meet us at the end.
berkyo: Ive not been to Santa Fe from the Train so am not Positive but IINM if you check Baggage from CHI it will be checked to Lamy if riding the Shuttle Van, then transfereed to the Van in LAMY right?? Otherwise you check it to Albuquerque , then pick it up there and ride the Rail Runner to Santa Fe???? :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back