Rail pass questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaboard92

Engineer
I just met someone on the train who has a questions. He has a 12 segments on his pass. And he booked twelve segments with his last train being on the LSL to Boston from Chicago. But they have split him onto the 448 subtrain. His question does that make him have 13 segments and would he have to pay for it

I just met someone on the train who has a questions. He has a 12 segments on his pass. And he booked twelve segments with his last train being on the LSL to Boston from Chicago. But they have split him onto the 448 subtrain. His question does that make him have 13 segments and would he have to pay for it
Isn't he on 448 from the start? If so, then he should be good

He was booked on 448. But with the track work he is been put in 48 to ALB and then on 448 on. According to his reservation in my hand

He was booked on 448. But with the track work he is been put in 48 to ALB and then on 448 on. According to his reservation in my hand
I would think he'd still be ok, because 448 used to split off 48 physically, but because of the track work, he's just doing a cross platform transfer to 448.

Sounds like he booked 12 segments. If they modified his ticket due to things beyond his control, I would think Amtrak would make things right.

Sounds like he booked 12 segments. If they modified his ticket due to things beyond his control, I would think Amtrak would make things right.
Agreed. The original reservation was for 448, so I doubt there would be a problem.

I am in this same boat, only with the 15 day/8 segment rail pass for 4 people, and our passes were also otherwise full. No one mentioned this being an issue at all (I spoke to an agent who called about the reconfiguration), and it didn't even occur to me till you mentioned it. I have my new reservation email and all seems good. I will check back to see if anyone has more insight, but right now I think it's all set. That would be really lousy, if it wasn't. Part of me wants to call, part of me doesn't want to rock a boat that appears to be stable right now. We've planned this trip since November and don't want any more hiccups, beyond the usual Amtrak unknowns. .

How does the Rail Pass work? If I purchase a 30 day 12 segment pass, would I still have to pay for each of the segments of the trip separately... or does the Rail Pass cover the costs?

For instance, a trip from Washington, DC, stopping in Chicago, Mount Pleasant (Iowa), Denver, SLC and Emeryville would cost around $1800 for my family... do I pay that, plus the price for the Rail Pass?

How does the Rail Pass work? If I purchase a 30 day 12 segment pass, would I still have to pay for each of the segments of the trip separately... or does the Rail Pass cover the costs?

For instance, a trip from Washington, DC, stopping in Chicago, Mount Pleasant (Iowa), Denver, SLC and Emeryville would cost around $1800 for my family... do I pay that, plus the price for the Rail Pass?
From what I know, you pay for the rail pass on the allotted segments and then pay for any additional segments as separate tickets. The $1800 is covered on the allotted segments by the rail pass.

The rail pass covers a certain number of segments in a certain amount of days for one passenger in coach. To upgrade to business class or sleeping accommodations, the passenger would have to pay the fare to upgrade.

I just had the same exact thing happen. i was booked for 7 segments and then they changed the 448 and it would have brought me to 9 total. They honored the original reservation and didnt charge extra for the Albany to Springfield segment and even refunded me ($28) for the difference in sleeper car to coach for that leg. If they booked it as one segment, Amtrak should still honor the original rate. When I called, I didn't ask if they would waive the expense, I told them what I wanted them to do and they never gave me a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back