Quick Scanner Advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
Was on OTOL looking at the frequencies for my trip on the LSL out of NYP today and saw a lot of this:

Poughkeepsie-Albany CSX road/CSX NC Dispatcher 46/64 160.800/160.070

Has anybody any experience with this? Which is more "entertaining" to listen to?

Do you want to hear the dispatcher or the crew on your (and nearby) trains?

The dispatcher frequency is useful to know when you're on the ground waiting for trains to come by.

I have a minimal ( cheap ) scanner and just set it to scan all within the railroad channels, hence the name scanner. :p

Of course when I first got it I left the manual on the sofa at home and ended up listening to stuff I had no idea what it was about for 5 days. Geeez, I'm such an idiot at times.

You should be able to program in all the AAR Frequencies (I think there are about 96 altogether) and that way you'll be ready to go for longer trips where you can quickly make the frequency changes. I know there is another thread on here that has links to a frequency chart as well as a chart of what frequencies are used on various Amtrak routes.

I just used one of he useful websites with all the frequencies applicable for a given route and plugged them, and then hit scan. Sure, there might be some extraneous chatter, but I never missed anything. By the way, crew chatter, is, in my opinion, much more informative and interesting than anything on dispatch. That is however just my take.

I used the road.. far more interesting. All the AAR frequencies are programed into my scanner-- I just sometimes have trouble choosing which one is more fun.

This time I heard the following take place somewhere out of Buffalo:

Dispatcher: CSX 3811 we've got Amtrak 49 coming up on track two.

CSX: We're late already. F--- Amtrak.

::pause.::

Amtrak: This is Amtrak 49-61, f--- you too buddy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the road.. far more interesting. All the AAR frequencies are programed into my scanner-- I just sometimes have trouble choosing which one is more fun.

Dispatcher: CSX 3811* we've got Amtrak 49 coming up on track two.

"This is Amtrak, f--- you too buddy!"

Now that's priceless!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dispatcher: CSX 3811 we've got Amtrak 49 coming up on track two.

Amtrak: This is Amtrak 49-61, f--- you too buddy!

:lol: :lol: see what you miss without a scanner :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back