Quick help needed with romantic encounter

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakPDX

Train Attendant
The situation:

S.O. coming home today (8/20), from SEA to PDX on 2:20 Cascade 507. I'm 'supposed' to pick her up at PDX.

The intended plan.

I board NB 12:15 Cascade 506. Get off at Olympia (OLW). Have enough time to find flower/chocolate shop. Catch HER SB 507 and ride blissfully back to PDX with her.

The hitch.

The seat next to her may be occupied.

What I've done so far.

Talked with ticket agent at PDX. Interested in situation but w/o solution.

I'm willing to 'buy' a ticket from SEA to PDX (still boarding in OLW) but apparently there's not a way to make it next to her out of SEA (or is there?). The PDX ticket agent says that seating assignments are done by conductors at originating station and that they 'try' to seat couples together. He also shared that he doesn't 'know' anybody in SEA.

I've tried to lookup SEA's direct number (don't know if it would help anyway). I'd like to do this in such a way the vacant seat next to her from SEA to OLW looks like 'luck' and that they don't tip her off that I'm joining her in OLW.

Any suggestions?

TIA for any help!

Hope it's not too late . . . Was I you, I'd board the train and take the seat to which you are assigned by the conductor. Then go through the cars and find your significant other. Announce your presence so that the other passengers can overhear. Give her a big kiss if possible. Then say "Maybe we can find a place to sit together," also loudly enough for the others can hear, and I'll bet at least one person offers to move. Maybe even the person sitting next to her will assent.

And for Pete's sake let us know how it went.

I still can't figure out why the Cascades has assigned seating in the first place. It's not like you can pick your seat or your car or which side you'll be on so why do they bother?

Simply because that's what the State of Washington wants for its service. There may be some logic in their mind, I'm not sure what that is, much less that they actually have any. Although one reason might be to prevent a running stampede to the train, but that's just a guess.

But again, it's not an "Amtrak" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back