questions: SJC-SEA-VAC first class service, VAC-->YVR xfer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyuri_ft

Service Attendant
Few questions:

- Have a roomette on SJC-SEA Starlate in 10 days. What can I expect in SEA if the train is really late? Passengers kicked out in the middle of the night?

- Out of curiosity decided to use Talgo rather the connecting bus, so bought SEA-VAC in first class. What is the difference between the first and second (besides the number of seats obviously) class service?

- Any place to spend time in Seattle between arrival of Starlate and early morning departure of Cascade to Canada?

- What is the most practical transfer between VAC and YVR? (Strong preference for anything on rails versus anything on tires)

Thanks!

"Business Class" (not First Class) on the Cascades from Seattle to Vancouver features wider seats with more legroom, priority boarding, and a coupon good for a certain amount (I think it's $3 or $4, but can't remember for sure) off any food purchase in the dining car or bistro (cafe) car. Breakfast will be served in the dining car on your train.

I couldn't tell you where I'd recommend staying other than to find a hotel close by, even though you probably wouldn't get your money's worth out of it.

As for transferring from VAC to YVR, you could wait about 2.5 years and ride the Canada Line subway from downtown to the airport.

If your flight leaves in less than 2.5 years, your trip will require two transfers if you use public transportation, and only the short first segment would be by rail.

You could board a Waterfront-bound SkyTrain right in front of the station at the Main Street-Science World stop. If you're traveling on a weekday during daytime hours, you'll need to buy a two-zone ticket. If on a weekend, zone fares are eliminated, so it doesn't matter. The ticket you buy at the SkyTrain station will also be valid on all of the buses you'll need, provided you make the connections within 90 minutes.

Ride the SkyTrain to either Burrard (2nd last stop) or Waterfront (last stop), head upstairs (because downtown, the "SkyTrain" is underground) and out to the front of the station and look for the 98 B-Line bus stop (there may be several bus stops in front of each station, particularly Burrard, so it's important to find the correct one; the 98 runs on a one-way loop through downtown, so you won't accidentally get on a bus going in the wrong direction). Ride that route to "Airport Station" and from there, transfer to a route 424 Airport bus over to the terminal.

If you have lots of time, and want a more scenic ride (and longer rail portion), you could ride the SkyTrain the other way and get off at 22nd Street Station, and transfer to a 100 heading to Airport Station. However, the 100 runs much less frequently than the 98 does (the SkyTrain, on the other hand, runs about every 3 minutes), and you run the possible (not very likely, but still possible) risk of your farecard running out before your last segment. On the other hand, many route 100 trips are interlined (through-routed) with the 424 at Airport Station, so you could possibly stay on your bus and go all the way through.

There are also privately-run "Airporter" buses from downtown to the airport, but I've never used them and are not familiar with them. There's also the completely uninteresting "taxicab" way of getting to the airport.

Transit route, schedule, and fare info can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few questions:
- Have a roomette on SJC-SEA Starlate in 10 days. What can I expect in SEA if the train is really late? Passengers kicked out in the middle of the night?

- Out of curiosity decided to use Talgo rather the connecting bus, so bought SEA-VAC in first class. What is the difference between the first and second (besides the number of seats obviously) class service?

- Any place to spend time in Seattle between arrival of Starlate and early morning departure of Cascade to Canada?

- What is the most practical transfer between VAC and YVR? (Strong preference for anything on rails versus anything on tires)

Thanks!
I can't address the issues of the transfer between the Starlate and the Talgo. Maybe it is a guaranteed connecton, but I bet it isn't.

As to getting from VAC to YVR, there is a skytrain (subway/elevated light rail) and bus combination. You can read all about it here.

Have fun and please let me know how the Starlate/Talgo connection went. I'm looking to do a similar trip (Amtrak to VAC & VIA home) this time next year.

Rick

Rick

"Business Class" (not First Class) on the Cascades from Seattle to Vancouver features wider seats with more legroom, priority boarding, and a coupon good for a certain amount (I think it's $3 or $4, but can't remember for sure) off any food purchase in the dining car or bistro (cafe) car. Breakfast will be served in the dining car on your train.
Thanks!

I couldn't tell you where I'd recommend staying other than to find a hotel close by, even though you probably wouldn't get your money's worth out of it.
That's what I am afraid of. So if Starlate arrives at 3 AM we willbe kicked out of the roomette? :eek:

Is the station open (=waiting room) during that time?

As for transferring from VAC to YVR, you could wait about 2.5 years and ride the Canada Line subway from downtown to the airport.
Good for Canadians, but ths time my ride will be in 10 days. Will have plenty of time (hopefully) till transatlantic flight, but more luggage what would make me to consider a longer ride but possibly one less stop. SkyTrain --> 22nd Street Station + xfer to "100" --> Airport Station seem to be okay.

There are also privately-run "Airporter" buses from downtown to the airport, but I've never used them and are not familiar with them.
I recall reading about it but it did not seem to be exceptionally interesting.

There's also the completely uninteresting "taxicab" way of getting to the airport.
Unless if I feel, the luggage is about to owepower me, this is pretty much out of question. :lol:

I can't address the issues of the transfer between the Starlate and the Talgo. Maybe it is a guaranteed connecton, but I bet it isn't.
It is, Amtrak put everything on one ticket, there is quite a bit of time between scheduled arrival of the Starlate (20:45) and departure of the Cascade (7:40). Idally for me would be a pretty late train (arriving 6:00) or so, but perhaps not for the other passengers :lol:

Thanks again. Where actually does the crew stay in SEA?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ridden the Vancouver Airporter bus a few times. Reliable and not expensive. Plenty of room for luggage and they cover the downtown area very well.

Here is the LINK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back