Questions about Tracking Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all! We are about to embark on a big train journey next week and are newbies. Today I checked this board and followed a link to a lovely site with a map that tracks the current status of all the trains. I love that tool, but in checking it, I have a few questions.

First of all--our trip. We are a family of 4 travelling on 15-day USA Rail Passes. We are going Chicago to Salt Lake City to Emeryville to Los Angeles to Seattle and then back to Chicago. We are having a short visit in each of those cities, the shortest being 24 hours in SLC, the longest 3 days in L.A. We depart on July 25 and are really looking forward to it.

Today I checked the schedule and I see that the Westbound California Zephyr was 8.5 hours behind arriving and leaving SLC! I looked for the 2nd train 5 which should have left the next day and didn't see it on the map at all but found it under "service disruptions". I clicked on that and saw it left Chicago, got late after a few stops and then just disappeared! So none of this info looks good to a person who stupidly booked a non-refundable hotel room in SLC that would be a complete waste if this schedule is at all typical. And finally, finally!.....to my questions:

1. Is there a website that tracks typical on-time performance for these trains or maybe has the last 30 days of data? I assume 8 hours late is not typical, but any significant lateness is going to be painful to our schedule. If there is no such website, do any of you more experienced riders have any information on on-time performance?

2. What would be the usual reason for a train to steadily lose time like that? I could understand if the train were delayed for some reason in one chunk--something breaks, there is an accident, etc.--but to just steadily fall behind as it crosses the country? That doesn't even seem weather related.

3. Specifically, how would one find out what happened to the second Train 5 that just dropped off the schedule? What was the service disruption and what happened to those people who were riding?

4. Lastly, are there any good mobile tools for tracking trains or even getting live time updates via text or email or something? it would be great to be able to get that information easily on my Android phone or iPad.

And just to clarify, I knew that trains often ran late and that sometimes those delays could be significant, and I understood the risk I was taking booking non-refundable hotel rooms. I just thought significant delays were the exception rather than the rule, and today's schedule seems to be the opposite. We are flexible and can roll with whatever happens, but being prepared never hurt anyone. :)

If you need info on a train showing "Service Disruption" you'll have to call 1800-USA-RAIL and speak to an agent. They will have info.

Check this site out.

http://www.amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/cgi-bin/train.cgi

Train 5 for SLC ain't real pretty. :(
Use this link instead:

http://www.amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/

Of all the trains you'll be riding, the California Zephyr is most likely to have severe delays. In some cases trains have been up to 16-24 hours behind schedule, although 3-7 hours is a more typical delay. This is primarily due to flooding on the Missouri River which has closed several important freight routes. That means that the Amtrak route across eastern Nebraska/western Iowa has roughly twice as many trains as usual, which in turn means Amtrak spends lots of time sitting in side tracks. This will likely continue until mid-late August when the river recedes sufficiently to repair and reopen the flooded tracks.

Also, the Empire Builder recently resumed service after a 28-day suspension due to record flooding in North Dakota. Rivers are receding now, so barring additional heavy rain the delays shouldn't be too bad by the time of your Seattle-Chicago journey.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
4. Lastly, are there any good mobile tools for tracking trains or even getting live time updates via text or email or something? it would be great to be able to get that information easily on my Android phone or iPad.
You can send a text message to 41411

The text would be:

amtrakstatus <station code> <train #>

example: amtrakstatus SLC 5

Last edited by a moderator:
How locked-in, daywise, is that Salt Lake hotel room? You might see if you can move it to the next day, since the Zephyr isn't likely to be less than several hours late into SLC both days-this way you use it on the second night, waiting there for your Zephyr to Emeryville that most likely won't be there at midnight.

It you booked it through Priceline or somethign you're out of luck, but if it's through the hotel itself some places will let you move days around even if it's "non-refundable."

The rest of the trip you shouldn't have too many problems with timekeeping.

How locked-in, daywise, is that Salt Lake hotel room? You might see if you can move it to the next day, since the Zephyr isn't likely to be less than several hours late into SLC both days-this way you use it on the second night, waiting there for your Zephyr to Emeryville that most likely won't be there at midnight.

It you booked it through Priceline or somethign you're out of luck, but if it's through the hotel itself some places will let you move days around even if it's "non-refundable."
The Salt Lake hotel room was booked through Priceline. I suppose I could call the hotel directly and see if there is any way they would be willing to move the reservation. Maybe they would be merciful. I was thinking about the room being wasted for the first night and didn't even consider the fact that the *next* night we could still be in Salt Lake, maybe late enough to sleep there. I think it is worth a try to call the hotel. Thanks for that idea.

>>4. Lastly, are there any good mobile tools for tracking trains or even getting live time updates via text or email or something? it would be great to be able to get that information easily on my Android phone or iPad.

The maps work on mobile devices, too. Just pull them up on your web browser.

John Bobinyec

Amtrak Status Maps

http://www.dixieland...atus/StatusMaps
Great! And thanks for the service.

The maps work on mobile devices, too. Just pull them up on your web browser.
I found this was not always the case on my BlackBerry (probably due to its buggy web browser) however I was able to access the most current text version of the train status through the "status file archives" link. Thanks for having an alternative route to the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back