Questions about P40 #803

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Viewliner said:
Really, this is surprising to hear that certainly won't make the crews happy. Why can't the dorm be taken off a shorter route?
One other question: Does the Cardinal use a dorm?
Well shorter is a somewhat relative term. The shortest route with a dorm is probably the Three Rivers, and it's only about 350 miles shorter than the Silver Service trains.

As for the Cardinal, I can't speak to it's current setup, but back when it was using Superliner cars there was no crew dorm. They just shared the regular sleeper with us passengers.

AlanB said:
Well shorter is a somewhat relative term. The shortest route with a dorm is probably the Three Rivers, and it's only about 350 miles shorter than the Silver Service trains.
Well keep in mind Alan that the Three Rivers doesn't have a Dorm at all. Because the route changes on board crews in Pittsburgh (similar to Palmetto bug in Savannah).

battalion51 said:
AlanB said:
Well shorter is a somewhat relative term.  The shortest route with a dorm is probably the Three Rivers, and it's only about 350 miles shorter than the Silver Service trains.
Well keep in mind Alan that the Three Rivers doesn't have a Dorm at all. Because the route changes on board crews in Pittsburgh (similar to Palmetto bug in Savannah).
Yeah someone else mentioned that the crew changes there too, but I hadn't thought about that at the time. I was simply looking at overall distance.

This must however be something new that Amtrak is doing, because the crew used to go all the way through. It was only the Pennsylvanian that used to changes crews at Pitt, when it ran through to Chicago.

It may be recent, with the elimination of the Pennsylvanian it may have been Amtrak's way of not angering the Union too too much with employee cuts.

Could anyone tell me the exact date the final Pennsylvanian ran? I am trying to put together a scap-book of sorts for the retired Amtrak's.

The Pennsylvanian still runs my friend. But if you mean the last time to Chicago, I believe it would be sometime around the end of April this year.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Could anyone tell me the exact date the final Pennsylvanian ran? I am trying to put together a scap-book of sorts for the retired Amtrak's.
Beginning Monday, February 10, Amtrak will restore the Pennsylvanian (trains 42-45) to its original daylight schedule between Pittsburgh and New York.  The new eastbound train will depart Pittsburgh at 7:30 a.m. Monday through Saturday, enabling passengers to reach Philadelphia at 2:50 p.m. and New York at 4:43 p.m.  On Sundays, the Pennsylvanian will depart Pittsburgh at 1:30 p.m., arriving in Philadelphia at 8:55 p.m. and New York at 10:50 p.m.  Under the previous schedule, the Pennsylvanian terminated in Philadelphia at 9:15 p.m. daily.  
You can find the full Amtrak press release here.

Ohh man P42, I was drooling looking at that sweet piece. That isnt just a model, its a work of art!! I would love to get that unit, but I would use the money that thing costs and put it towards the senery and signal part of the layout, since I already have an 803! But hey, I wouldnt mind having that unit around either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back