question about the Favorite Route Poll above

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sutton

Just curious: I can understand the Texas Eagle getting 5 percent, but why only 10% for Southwest Chief? I thought this was one of the 'great scenery" routes with a friendly staff (according to what I've read here).

Interested in opinions.

The Chief is indeed one of the better scenery trains, but keep in mind there are others with equally amazing scenery like the Starlight and Zephyr.

Different people ride certain trains for different reasons; some for reasons other than scenery. The survey reflects this diversity, and the small sample tends to exaggerate the results. A single positive vote for a certain train has a big effect on the percentages.

I voted for the Starlight. I haven't been on the Chief and so can't even consider it. Others are probably in the same boat. I think one thing that helps the Starlight and even the CZ and Builder is the diverse scenery. The Chief isn't so diverse as far as I know. The Starlight's Parlour car and kiddie car don't hurt either.

The Southwest Chief is an example of how every longhaul Amtrak train should run: dependably (almost always on time enroute and usually about an hour early into the end terminals), the onboard staff are happy (probably in part because they don't have to deal with a train full of screaming, upset passengers about lateness), and it serves a good mixture of cities and populations (like all the others do, too).

However, I chose the Sunset Limited because of the potential it really has. If it could run on time (maybe BNSF will buy the line one day... :rolleyes: ) and run daily I don't have any doubts that the ridership would skyrocket given the number of larger cities it connects.

Amtrak Watcher said:
Different people ride certain trains for different reasons; some for reasons other than scenery. The survey reflects this diversity, and the small sample tends to exaggerate the results. A single positive vote for a certain train has a big effect on the percentages.
This is so true. Each of these great trains has something to offer that autos, buses and for sure, planes can't; access. It may not be quite as panoramic as when the dome cars were still running, but its still there as broad as America itself. I usually take the train just to get somewhere, but I hope I will still have the opportunity to experience them all and the diversity of our nation.

Among other things, America is all about choices. I choose the train when I can -- for whaterver reason -- even as our government seems to be removing them.

Back