Professional Cameras

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Realistically, a professional setup would probably be more identified by the lighting accessories than the camera or even lens itself. At that point, it's probably likely that the crew may ask for evidence of your professional credentials and/or permission from Amtrak.

Granted I am a photojournalism photographer 1st so I don't use "studio lights " or Set up shots" Me its use the light I got or a high end speed light

Do you see NFL photographers with a fancy strobe . TV ot still.

. Pro has Nothing To do with gear ....

My link

was shot at GBB with a 300 USD canon s5-is . Point and shoot ..

Texas .

My link my rigs for video and for stableshots .

that and I am very good at not being shaky

I ran a XL1 / XL2 for Years till I wore it out .. I and i mean wore the poo outta it ,.

its what got me in to video .

Funnny that small HDV cam I ahve now is WAY better . but I still miss the lack of focus rings .

My link the HV series is known to be VERY good for Indie work ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm late to the game on this post, but I've had mixed results with my gear.

By day, I was working as a photojournalist with a Washington Post Company, and on the weekends, I'm a NARP Ambassador. I commute to and from DC on the MARC. I have had no problems with Amtrak at DC Union, but have had major issues with MARC employees when just banging off a shot with a small Fuji X-100 camera.

Despite being a WAS NARP booth kiosk attednant and am regulary seen at Gate G, as well as having my NPPA badge on my neck while o nthe clock for the Post, there has been issues with the MARC guys.

With that said, I have had no issues with my professional Nikon gear (D3/D4 and 24-70 2.8) on Amtrak trains or with personnel, even having Amtrak crew want to have their picture taken or offering to take my picture in front of Acela's and LD trains on the platform.

So, I think it can be a crap shoot depending o nthe level of training personnel has had on policy.

Back