Private Toll Road Protest Song

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its tongue-in-cheeck, but HERE someone has written a protest song about the high tolls on the Dulles Greenway. It costs $5.55 at peak times to drive 14 miles. :eek: Pretty steep. But then the cost of maintaining roads is not cheap either... ^_^

Its tongue-in-cheeck, but HERE someone has written a protest song about the high tolls on the Dulles Greenway. It costs $5.55 at peak times to drive 14 miles. :eek: Pretty steep. But then the cost of maintaining roads is not cheap either... ^_^
Plus, a portion of those tolls is paying for the Metro Silver Line project.

Speaking of high tolls.........the 9 mile Confederation Bridge connecting New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island collects a $44.00 toll for cars. (this is a round-trip toll as it is only collected when leaving PEI)

http://www.confederationbridge.com/

The bridge replaced the rail/auto ferries originally operated by Canadian National Railways (they carried passenger trains to the island until the late 1960s)

Last edited by a moderator:
a.k.a. an $.80 cent "congestion management toll" :) Plus whatever portion of the $.75 that the Dulles Toll collects...

I don't think that's accurate. The Greenway extends west from Dulles airport and is operated by a private for profit company.

You're thinking of the Dulles Toll Road, which connects the Greenway to the beltway, which is operated by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which is using $0.50 from each toll to help finance the Silver Line.

Edit:

This graphic from the Greenway's web site shows where the toll money goes:

Greenway_Toll.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's accurate. The Greenway extends west from Dulles airport and is operated by a private for profit company.

You're thinking of the Dulles Toll Road, which connects the Greenway to the beltway, which is operated by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which is using $0.50 from each toll to help finance the Silver Line.
Yes, you're right. I was thinking of the Tollway. Thanks for the correction.

On the one hand, $5.55 is pretty blasted steep for a toll road. On the other hand...well, it's pretty clear that somebody is willing to pay that. Still, I don't get VA's obsession with "farming out" toll roads such as they are doing a lot these days. Not that I don't support toll projects, but I'd rather see the state just issue the bonds themselves and direct any profits to transportation funding in the affected areas.

Speaking of high tolls.........the 9 mile Confederation Bridge connecting New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island collects a $44.00 toll for cars. (this is a round-trip toll as it is only collected when leaving PEI)

http://www.confederationbridge.com/

The bridge replaced the rail/auto ferries originally operated by Canadian National Railways (they carried passenger trains to the island until the late 1960s)
The $44 is cheaper than the ferry that still runs from the eastern end of the island to Nova Scotia, though. That's $66.

The $44 is cheaper than the ferry that still runs from the eastern end of the island to Nova Scotia, though. That's $66.
The toll on the ferry is collected like the bridge (upon leaving the Island only). So for a tourist making a loop.....take the ferry over for "free" and pay $44 leaving the island on the bridge.

Looping the other way, you'll have a free crossing on the bridge going over but pay $66 to leave.

Back