Points For Google Wallet

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Amtrak going to allow us to use Wallet to pay for tickets? Or is it already possible? If so how do we do it. I have looked in the Android App and on the website and cannot figure out how to use Google Wallet to pay for my tickets.

Amtrak could potentially retrofit their Quick-Track machines to handle Tap2Pay, which you could use gWallet for (provided your not running a stock Verizon phone.) They could also give their ticket windows the CC machines you see at most stores now & you can get those with Tap2Pay.

peter

I'm registered. All my other one's (gathering & trains to/from PHL) have posted the bonus.
Ok, give it one day then. I have seen occasions where the bonus points trailed the original trip posting by 24 hours or so. But if they're not in your account by Friday, then something is wrong!
Remember that only two segments per day are eligible for bonus points under the current promotion. If you made the excursion as a day trip riding Amtrak to and from PHL and the previous segments have posted already with the bonus your out of luck for the bonus on the excursion.

I'm registered. All my other one's (gathering & trains to/from PHL) have posted the bonus.
Ok, give it one day then. I have seen occasions where the bonus points trailed the original trip posting by 24 hours or so. But if they're not in your account by Friday, then something is wrong!
Remember that only two segments per day are eligible for bonus points under the current promotion. If you made the excursion as a day trip riding Amtrak to and from PHL and the previous segments have posted already with the bonus your out of luck for the bonus on the excursion.
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the reminder.

I just signed up for the google wallet 10 min ago and got the 500 points, so they must still be under the 10K limit

Thank you, I did have to update the Google Wallet app on my android phone first, but then the loyalty programs and points appeared when I added my AGR number.

Thanks for this post; was able to install google wallet and add AGR without any issue (some user error when keying in ID and password, but otherwise...)

Now the real question is: what exactly can we do with the loyalty card being in Google Wallet?
You can have more personal information gathered up by Google?
We in this country are more than willing to sell our privacy for a few points.
I was thinking about that too. In the case of Android phones Google already has it's claws in nearly everything, but if you never logged into your AGR account from your Android phone now they have that information too. In the case of iOS they gain yet another data point in return for points that probably cost a few pennies at most.

500 points to allow Google to see your travel interests, trips, etc.? No thanks.
Google can't see what transactions you have on your card unless it's done thru Google Wallet. If I look at my wallet account, the last transaction it sees is for an app I bought about a month ago; however I spent money on those cards since then (I bought a $1500 camera on one) but Google has no clue about that. If you want the points why not sign up, get the points then close your Wallet acc't.

peer

I have zero transactions and don't plan to use the app. It was just an easy way to get 500 points. I really don't care if they can magically access AGR and see that I'm traveling to Dallas and Albuquerque during the next month. Any webcrawler can see the same thing.

I have zero transactions and don't plan to use the app. It was just an easy way to get 500 points. I really don't care if they can magically access AGR and see that I'm traveling to Dallas and Albuquerque during the next month. Any webcrawler can see the same thing.
Ditto and Well Put Sarah! ;)

In the case of Android phones...

Google Wallet has the ability to run at start-up regardless if you planned to use it or not.

Google Wallet has the ability to track your location by cell tower, wifi, or GPS.

Google Wallet can read all of your contacts.

Google Wallet can read all of your accounts.

Google Wallet can take pictures and videos.

Google Wallet can monitor your phone status.

Google Wallet can modify your system settings.

Google Wallet can access protected storage.

Google Wallet has full network access.

Google Wallet can force your phone to sync or prevent it from syncing.

All of which begs the question as to which "magical" web crawler you're claiming can do these things?

I said any webcrawler can see where I'm taking my upcoming trips. Read my post again.

I really don't care if they can magically access AGR and see that I'm traveling to Dallas and Albuquerque during the next month. Any webcrawler can see the same thing.
Also, I use an iPhone.

Andplusalso, I use Gmail, so Google can already see my contacts, read my email, watch my videos on YouTube, etc. Still don't care.

If I want to keep something private, I don't take a photo of it, record it, or post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing I use an iPhone, then. :D
I know it's tongue-in-cheek, but the only mobile ecosystem that ever took privacy even half seriously was Blackberry. Everything else before or since has tracked almost everything you did and reported it to almost anyone who asked. Apple has made some nice gestures here and there, but the honest truth is that companies like Google no longer need direct access to IMEI's or UUID's or tracking cookies. Many of those connections can be recreated behind the scenes with specialized collection and analyzation routines.

Google's collection systems don't only work on piecing together what you already know about yourself; they can also see traits and trends that even you are unlikely to be aware of in yourself. It's truly an amazing (and somewhat scary) time to be alive. I think it's important to remember that we're less Google's customers than Google's product, and that their true customers may not be the kind who view freedom, liberty, or the pursuit of personal happiness with a compassionate eye.

Then again I'm just simple IT guy who has only spent fifteen years working in the field. I'm probably not cleaver enough to outsmart Google at their own game, and certainly not on my own. But maybe some folks can. If that's the case then I say more power to them. I'll keep on reminding simpler folks like myself that they may be inadvertently handing out more information than they realize. While the cleaver geniuses among us are free to brag about how they routinely outsmart some of the most accomplished data collection experts in the world through their amazing technical wizardry. :lol:

Jim, why do you keep logging in as a guest every so often? Just curious.
When I'm away from my PC @ Home and Post from my Android Phone it wont allow me to sign in so i have to Post as a Guest!

(IOW, I'm Hi-Tech Challenged!)

Did you, or anyone, actually read the Google Wallet privacy Policy? Are you aware that, by downloading and installing Google Wallet, you are granting Google permission to pull your credit reports? That, unless you specifically opt out, you are also granting Google permission to provide the information in those reports to Google "affiliates?"

I am well aware that there are lots and lots of ways that personal information is mined about me without my permission. I just don't think that 500 AGR points (worth roughly $10) is enough to have me open up an information portal voluntarily without any particular need for the service provided by the app.

From the Google Wallet privacy policy:

Information obtained from third parties - We may obtain information about you from third party verification services, information arising from Google Wallet transactions at merchant locations, information regarding your use of payment methods issued by third parties that are linked to the Google Wallet service, information regarding access to balances held in your Google Wallet account, and information from a Carrier in connection with Carrier Billing.

Also, for sellers, we may obtain information about you and your business from a credit bureau or a business information service.

Hmm.

Maybe I need to stop trying to educate people and just build an app that hands out $5 worth of monkey points in exchange for location tracking, call monitoring, contact listings, account credentials, and credit reports.

Everybody wins.

Back