Pittsburgh Light Rail Upgrades Kicking Off

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the coming years several infrastructure projects coming. Definitely needed as the subway and Red Line are long in the tooth.

Unfortunately this series of projects will cause disruptions over the next few years. But, the work is needed.

They're also in early stages of planning rail car replacements which are sorely needed.

https://www.rideprt.org/inside-Pittsburgh-Regional-Transit/News/News-Releases/

Last edited:
In the coming years several infrastructure projects coming. Definitely needed as the subway and Red Line are long in the tooth.

Unfortunately this series of projects will cause disruptions over the next few years. But, the work is needed.

They're also in early stages of planning rail car replacements which are sorely needed.

https://www.rideprt.org/inside-Pittsburgh-Regional-Transit/News/News-Releases/
It says trolleys will detour on tracks through Allentown while the Mt. Washington tunnel is closed. Is there any regular service on those tracks?

It says trolleys will detour on tracks through Allentown while the Mt. Washington tunnel is closed. Is there any regular service on those tracks?
I’m by no means an expert on Pittsburgh transit but I believe the route through Allentown is the old Brown Line which had regular service until 2011. Classy Whale has a pretty good video explaining it all on his YouTube page.

No, that line has been closed to regular service for a good 15 years but is maintained for situations like this. It is a neat change of pace for a few trips but adds a great deal to each trip, especially if used in both directions as much of the line is single tracked.

No, that line has been closed to regular service for a good 15 years but is maintained for situations like this. It is a neat change of pace for a few trips but adds a great deal to each trip, especially if used in both directions as much of the line is single tracked.
I'm gonna have to plan another trip to ride this trackage, and the inclines again!

I'm gonna have to plan another trip to ride this trackage, and the inclines again!
I have never ridden that trackage and I look forward to it! It's a long, "overland" route to bypass the tunnel. The Allentown neighborhood is a stone's throw from where my dad grew up on Mt. Oliver and went to the now-closed St. Justin's High School (3 classes ahead of quarterback Johnny Unitas) before dad and his parents and brothers joined the postwar exodus to the suburbs, in their case Bethel Park. Also served by Pittsburgh's trolleys. I guess they liked trolleys and so do I.

The Mon Incline has its issues now. It was closed last year for several months for rehabilitation. Obviously that didn't take as it has shut down suddenly a hand full of times since. It is down again, seemingly for an extended period of time while they hire more consultants to figure it out. The Duquesne Incline, which, it should be noted, is not managed by Pittsburgh Regional Transit, remains open and has had no such issues that I can recall.

Back