Pennsylvanian (the train(s) and route) discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting away from the "passenger pulls emergency cord" and back to the actual Pennsylvanian train :D Does anyone know the current status of the 2nd Pennsylvanian addition, is any progress being made or are they just "studying" it again?
Last I saw it's considered a done deal with an agreement with NS for $200 million of upgrades to the line, earliest start up in 2026. Not sure any actual work has begun on the infrastructure, however.

They should come up with a different name for the second train. Perhaps reuse one of the old PRR names such as the Duquesne or the Fort Pitt.

I think I'll pass on the Altoona Sicilian Pizza though 🤢
It doesn't invoke fond memories for rail fans but I'm betting Amtrak revives The Three Rivers. Or something with Allegheny in it.

They should come up with a different name for the second train. Perhaps reuse one of the old PRR names such as the Duquesne or the Fort Pitt.

I think I'll pass on the Altoona Sicilian Pizza though 🤢
Amtrak has run trains with both of those names in the past. So in some sense Duquesne would be a straight revival of a Pittsburgh - Philly Amtrak train of the past. Fort Pitt IIRC was a Pittsburgh - Altoona train.

I suspect that it is PennDOT and not Amtrak that gets to name a train funded by PennDOT. I suspect the more exotic names proposed above will not see the light of the day.

Trains Magazine had an article on the proposed second Pennsylvanian in 2022 which had a short history of Amtrak train names on the Harrisburg - Pittsburgh section:

At its inception in 1971, Amtrak operated three daily trains over the route, the New York-Pittsburgh Duquesne, the Broadway Limited to Chicago and the National Limited to St. Louis and Kansas City, Mo. After the National was discontinued in 1979, PennDOT added the state-supported Philadelphia-Pittsburgh Pennsylvanian in April 1980, which in 1983 was extended to New York. Since 2005, the New York-Pittsburgh version of the Pennsylvanian has been the Pittsburgh Line’s sole daily Amtrak service.

The full article which is quite informative and contains some details of the work that will be done on the route starting this year (2024). You can see the article at:

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-rev...-include-12-new-or-upgraded-ns-interlockings/

I was just reading my 1971 Amtrak national timetables.

The May 1 schedule had nameless trains with Penn Central train numbers. Forget that.

November was the first real Amtrak timetable. There were never 3 trains a day to Pittsburgh.
  • The Broadway and National Ltds were combined east of Pittsburgh. The combined train had a Washington - Harrisburg section.
  • There was a train 42/43 called "Keystone" to Pittsburgh.
  • Also a train 60/61 called the "Lake Shore".
The eastbound schedules had the two trains leaving PGH at around 1am and 10am.

Whenever they decided to separate the two trains was the end of the Pittsburgh train. The Pennsylvanian came about from the discontinuance of the National Ltd after 1979.

The Fort Pitt was around 1981, used Pennsylvanian equipment (3 cars), ran on a psuedo-rush hour schedule between Pittsburgh and Altoona.

That was also when PA Transit was running the Parkway Ltd commuter train I believe to Pitcairn with ex-Southern Pacific leg rest coaches recently bumped off the Coast Starlight or Sunset Ltd and ex-Autotrain U-boats of Conrail. I remember seeing it loading more people than the Fort Pitt, some with pizza pies.

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of money for a 250 mile extension of a Keystone train. I think the Pennsylvanian costs something like $5 million, though that was a few years ago. But a 2nd frequency on an existing route with no additional fixed costs should cost less than the first. To what extent that are NS track charges and what is attributable to Amtrak's so-called accounting, we don't know.

Last edited:
Back