Passenger Train Priority

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom

I read somewhere that in part of a bill for Amtrak funding there are a few lines that say there would be a study of causes of Amtrak delays and they would see if freights are the culprit. If it is, then the freight rr would have to give Amtrak trains priority. How strict would these rules be and what are the chances of this bill getting passed? Would this mean the end of real big delays for trains such as the Sunset? How soon would these rules be enforced? Responses would be much appreciated.

You're thinking of S.1516. S.1516 must first pass the Senate, before it is sent to the House, which must pass it, and then the President must sign it into law.

None of these is A Sure Thing.

To answer your question a bit more fully, IIRC, the STB is supposed to perform the traffic analysis and levy penalties if needed.

Just to add a bit more, there is no need for a study to see whose delaying Amtrak trains. Amtrak already tracks this info right now as we speak. Everytime an Amtrak train goes into a siding or is brought to a halt by a red light, the Amtrak conductor in charge of that train makes a note in his log about the stop and why it happened. They even track the run number of the train(s) that delayed them.

So the data is already there, one just has to use it and put some real teeth into penalites for the freight RR's that delay Amtrak.

Alan, that would make sense! We need to spend thousands in taxpayer money to study this pressing issue. Studies like the one in North Carolina where they spent $15,000 to study why prisoners wanted to escape from prison.

To add a bit more to this discussion - - Every conductor completes a Delay Report that lists every delay - by mile post marker - the cause of the delay and the time lost on his portion of the route. These delay reports are sent to the host railroads and are used to calculate payments to Amtrak for delays or payments to the host railroad for incentive payments for keeping Amtrak on time. There is certaily no need for any study, however government exists for studies, so I am sure money will be allocated to find out what everyone already knows.

haolerider said:
These delay reports are sent to the host railroads and are used to calculate payments to Amtrak for delays or payments to the host railroad for incentive payments for keeping Amtrak on time.
Do host railroads actually *pay* Amtrak for anything? I've known of the incentive payments for on-time performance, but I've never heard of a railroad paying Amtrak for delaying a passenger train.

AlanB said:
Just to add a bit more, there is no need for a study to see whose delaying Amtrak trains. Amtrak already tracks this info right now as we speak. Everytime an Amtrak train goes into a siding or is brought to a halt by a red light, the Amtrak conductor in charge of that train makes a note in his log about the stop and why it happened. They even track the run number of the train(s) that delayed them.
So the data is already there, one just has to use it and put some real teeth into penalites for the freight RR's that delay Amtrak.
When was the last time we heard of a fine being levied on say, UP, NS, or CSX owing to Amtrak delays?

:blink:

I think, "never." That's quite a bit of Amtrak's current situation.

I think you are wrong.

Perhaps Batallion 51 can shed some light on this issue with his contacts in FL. Some of the host railroads would rather pay the fines than earn the incentives.

rmadisonwi said:
haolerider said:
These delay reports are sent to the host railroads and are used to calculate payments to Amtrak for delays or payments to the host railroad for incentive payments for keeping Amtrak on time.
Do host railroads actually *pay* Amtrak for anything? I've known of the incentive payments for on-time performance, but I've never heard of a railroad paying Amtrak for delaying a passenger train.
UP pays Amtrak $100 Million for delaying Amtrak's trains I heard

AmtrakFan said:
UP pays Amtrak $100 Million for delaying Amtrak's trains I heard
If this is true, you just gotta wonder about what RR management is thinking.

Before I comment further, AmtrakFan, if you can, source your quote. Links would be nice.

$100 million for Amtrak delays or $1 billion for freight delays?

I don't think that UP has to think hard about this. Since they're still having trouble getting freights around, passenger trains are a real afterthought....

Isn't there a rule or law that says passenger trains have priority? I mean someone has to do something about all these freight delays; they are just ridiculous. Maybe the FRA or the gov can step up.

Technically there is! We'll use CSXT as an example. I'll let somebody else dig up the info if anyone wants actual numbers...If the fine for delaying train #97 (the SB Silver Meteor) is say $10,000, and CSX pulls it over in the siding for the "juice train." Well the "Tropicana" juice train contract pays millions of dollars to CSX, so who are we gonna pull over? Pay the little fine for delaying Amtrak, still make top dollar on that big contract! Delay that big contract, jeaopardize maximum profit! Which would you do if you were in CSX's shoes? CSX is not that terrible about massively delaying Amtrak trains. Usually something has happened to cause it and then it spirals. I personally believe there is more CSX can do, but are they? I think they try, but I beleive they could try harder! Remember, the passenger train is not paying CSX's bills and making the profits! That is why Amtrak was created in the first place. And afterall CSX doesn't have really any concern with Amtrak other than to accomodate for the time the train is with them. The passenger train is just a drop in the bucket when we spek of the incentives they recieve or the fines they pay out!

As far as the government stepping up, hmmmm, I don't really know how to respond to that other than answer that question with a question (my dad always hated when I did that)!

Who is our Secretary of the Treasurey? If that really means anything. I won't start on anyone else! :blink: :ph34r: OBS...

As far as Amtrak paying the freight RR for service Amtrak will not pay the freight RR for them not running them on time for that day that is the penalty that evryone talks about.but if Amtrak runs on to anather RR late if that freight RR can run the train on the run time for amtrak on that line they will get paied but if the Freight RR delays them there out of money also for that day.

Back