PASSCARD

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

khandi71

What is the difference between a PASSCARD and flash pass benefit?

I've never heard of a "passcard." It's either "flash pass" or "rail travel privilege card." You might be confused by the fact that Amtrak employees now have two pieces of ID (the flash pass, which used to be the only employee ID, as well as a picture card with the employee's name that serves as the new employee ID). Because dependents of employees also have flash passes, the new ID provides a better way of differentiating real Amtrak employees from spouses and dependents.

Unless, of course, you are referring to the new U.S. Passport Card, which has nothing to do with Amtrak (although it will be a valid form of border crossing ID under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative on trains like the Maple Leaf, Adirondack, and Cascades).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of a "passcard." It's either "flash pass" or "rail travel privilege card." You might be confused by the fact that Amtrak employees now have two pieces of ID (the flash pass, which used to be the only employee ID, as well as a picture card with the employee's name that serves as the new employee ID). Because dependents of employees also have flash passes, the new ID provides a better way of differentiating real Amtrak employees from spouses and dependents.
Unless, of course, you are referring to the new U.S. Passport Card, which has nothing to do with Amtrak (although it will be a valid form of border crossing ID under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative on trains like the Maple Leaf, Adirondack, and Cascades).

Thanks for clearing that up fo rme!

Actually Amtrak does have a "Passcard," it is tantamount to the "rail travel privilege card" ( that name no longer exists), and it is given to employees, their children, and spouse. The employee must sign up for it and that serves as an ID, if you will, for the spouse/child to use during travel with Amtrak. An employee is also issue one and can use the "Passcard" in lieu of his/her employee ID. Normally an employee will just use his/her employee ID, but I know that I had to use my "Passcard" more than once when I forgot my employee ID card at home. Sorry for the long rant to answer this question (pretty tired.

Source- Current Amtrak Engineer NEC

Question for the staff: Why do you approve postings to five year old threads instead of simply deleting them? This one is at least marginally useful, but I've seen an unholy amount of necromancy that served no purpose.

Question for the staff: Why do you approve postings to five year old threads instead of simply deleting them? This one is at least marginally useful, but I've seen an unholy amount of necromancy that served no purpose.
As I understand it the staff no longer have to individually approve guest posts.

It must be amazing to live in a world full of unholy necromancers where others just see old topics.

As I understand it the staff no longer have to individually approve guest posts.
You are correct, the current Captcha system works quite nicely to keep out the spammers, so guest postings do not require any sort of approval from the staff. They show up instantly, just like they do with members.

That said, if I see a post similar in nature to this and especially if it isn't useful, I will often delete it provided that no one has responded to it. But once someone does respond, it's rare that any post will be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back