Pack n Play in Superliner Bedroom?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
niemi24s

Your diagram shows the daytime setup. The bed moves over for the night position and takes away some of the 48 x 48 area you indicate. I have modified the diagram by pulling the bed over, see the red lines. The available space is now shown by the yellow rectangle. It looks about 36 x 42 inches to me. There is a pole mount for the fold up chair in the corner.The pole remains but the chair can be removed.

But what if the adult chooses to sleep in the top bunk? Can the bottom bunk remain in the daytime position?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all of the helpful responses!

Great work RRRick!

We're going to give it a shot!

(Bringing the Graco Travel Lite 23.2x33.5x32.2 on the Empire Builder)

As well as two big body pillows for plan B!

I'll update everyone after we arrive in PDX in the first full week in July!

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1434768539.260267.jpg

Best of luck! Please do let us know if it fits (and if you want to go for the gold, exactly how big that space is) - the question comes up often enough that it'll be great to be able to say "It fits!" or "Nope, sorry" when the next person asks.

I hope this works for you but would hate to see you disappointed. The dimensions you mention are a concern. Look at Amtrak's baggage policy for carry on luggage. Limit is 2 pieces per person, not to exceed 28x22x14 inches.

I hope this works for you but would hate to see you disappointed. The dimensions you mention are a concern. Look at Amtrak's baggage policy for carry on luggage. Limit is 2 pieces per person, not to exceed 28x22x14 inches.
With exceptions for strollers and other things.

Can the single seat be removed from any Superliner bedroom which can be converted into a suite with the adjacent bedroom? If so, methinks that's the solution to the OP's question/dilemma because the floor space rectangle opens up to about 48" X 48" with that seat removed:

attachicon.gif
Superliner Bedroomsc.jpg
The bedroom suite is only made up by opening a door between bedrooms B & C or bedrooms D & E. This door is located where the 2 bathroom doors meet on the wall, at the right side of the yellow box. (The entire wall does not open.)

So when a bedroom is in the daytime configuration, is not part of a suite (passage door closed) and the single seat is removed, there's a floor space of about 48" X 48" with the single chair mounting post in the corner. I wonder how much space the mounting post takes up? I'm also wondering if removal of the single seat is something the SCA can do?

Be a shame for the OP to board with child, Pack'n Play, luggage, etc, only to find that seat removal requires prior approval and 3 weeks lead time! You'd think there'd be some forum member on board a Superliner with a tape measure who could answer all these questions based on first-hand knowledge.

With exceptions for strollers and other things.
They are prettly lenient when boarding with carry-on luggage but baby tems are exempt from the limit anyway.

Here are the rules according to Amtrak's Service Standards Manual.

BagPol 1.PNG

Plus they should allow the item in checked baggage as well even if it is oversized.

Bag Pol 2.PNG

As others have said, it would be good to hear back from you as to how it fits (if it does) in the Bedroom. We opted out of taking the Pack N Play last summer because we feared there would not be enough space so the baby just slept with his mom on the inside near the wall. He was 18 mos. at the time.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

So when a bedroom is in the daytime configuration, is not part of a suite (passage door closed) and the single seat is removed, there's a floor space of about 48" X 48" with the single chair mounting post in the corner. I wonder how much space the mounting post takes up? I'm also wondering if removal of the single seat is something the SCA can do?

Be a shame for the OP to board with child, Pack'n Play, luggage, etc, only to find that seat removal requires prior approval and 3 weeks lead time! You'd think there'd be some forum member on board a Superliner with a tape measure who could answer all these questions based on first-hand knowledge.
While it's common for some AU members to post while on board, you're assuming 1) they're either traveling in or have access to a bedroom and 2) have a tape measure with them. I never carry a tape measure when traveling.

This thread is already peppered with dimensional estimates and assumptions (including mine) - may as well assume that too! Or maybe someone traveling prior to the OP's trip will think of taking a tape along. Hope springs eternal. :)

FWIW, using the figure of 10' - 2" for the exterior width of the car body (Wikipedia) yields essentially the same approximate 48" X 48" floor space as previously shown for the daytime configuration.

Is the 'H room" the handicap accessible room?

I thought if it was close enough to departure and it wasn't booked, I could switch to the accessible room.

The Amtrak rep I spoke with yesterday said I'd need "documentation proving an ambulation related disability."

:( No dice.
Amtrak's own web site does not require an "ambulation related disability." In particular, hearing loss is a listed condition. Unless I'm misunderstanding something (and it has happened), hearing loss can occur without ambulatory impairment.
Have you tried booking a H room by selecting hard of hearing as your disability? Perhaps they do ask about your ambulatory status as you go through the process.I have booked online using hard of hearing, because I am, but don't recall the handicap bedroom being listed.
No, I have not tried booking online. I believe booking the handicapped room requires a telephone call; in other words, it will not show up as an option on the web site (for ordinary mortals, at least).

Is the 'H room" the handicap accessible room?

I thought if it was close enough to departure and it wasn't booked, I could switch to the accessible room.

The Amtrak rep I spoke with yesterday said I'd need "documentation proving an ambulation related disability."

:( No dice.
Amtrak's own web site does not require an "ambulation related disability." In particular, hearing loss is a listed condition. Unless I'm misunderstanding something (and it has happened), hearing loss can occur without ambulatory impairment.
Have you tried booking a H room by selecting hard of hearing as your disability? Perhaps they do ask about your ambulatory status as you go through the process.I have booked online using hard of hearing, because I am, but don't recall the handicap bedroom being listed.
No, I have not tried booking online. I believe booking the handicapped room requires a telephone call; in other words, it will not show up as an option on the web site (for ordinary mortals, at least).
Just tried a test booking online. If you select "I have reduced mobility" and say you have a wheelchair and will sit in it during the trip, the H room comes up as the option for a room. If you select "I am a person who is deaf or has a hearing loss", only roomettes and bedrooms come up.

I would suspect that it's somewhat of a gray area in whether this would be allowed. The examples of "baby items" are typically small (diaper bags) or would stay folded like a stroller. Unfolded it might be in the category of "furniture" which I'm guessing is considered a safety hazard in case of evacuation. I've requested a crib before at hotels, and once I got a commercial version of a Pack 'n Play.

Heck - airlines have good sized bassinets that can hold 30 lbs. Amtrak could find a way to have one using the existing hardware, but expense would probably be an issue.

Just tried a test booking online. If you select "I have reduced mobility" and say you have a wheelchair and will sit in it during the trip, the H room comes up as the option for a room. If you select "I am a person who is deaf or has a hearing loss", only roomettes and bedrooms come up.
Thank you for investigating and reporting.

I have to say I was seriously disappointed to discover what this thread was about...

Somehow, my imagination ranged around packs of beer, play, bedroom.....

How immoderate! :p

Ed :cool:

I'm disappointed too - but for a different reason. 43 posts and 5 days have gone by and there's still no direct measurement of that space. Nothing but guesses, estimates and suggestions to do something else. We still don't know with any certainty:

• If the single seat can actually be removed by an SCA and

• If it can and the single seat is removed, how much actual floor space there actually is considering the support post remains in place.

I'd go measure it myself were it not for the fact that the nearest Amtrak station is a 6 hour drive from here. Have a hunch this thread will continue to grow over the next week or so with no meaningful additions.

I'm disappointed too - but for a different reason. 43 posts and 5 days have gone by and there's still no direct measurement of that space. Nothing but guesses, estimates and suggestions to do something else. We still don't know with any certainty:

• If the single seat can actually be removed by an SCA and

• If it can and the single seat is removed, how much actual floor space there actually is considering the support post remains in place.

I'd go measure it myself were it not for the fact that the nearest Amtrak station is a 6 hour drive from here. Have a hunch this thread will continue to grow over the next week or so with no meaningful additions.
I've never heard of the single seat removed, so I would say that is doubtful. Although it does fold up, right? at least it does int he Viewliner. I think its bolted to the floor but the seat part can fold up like a theater seat.

So in an effort to reduce the amount of *stuff were packing along with us- I'm thinking we'll try to board as early as possible & if the p&p doesn't fit-leave it with our family whose riding us to the station.

This way we won't have to lug a 20lb waste of space with us.

Anyone know-how early before departure (11:59pm) one can board?

-if we can run back inside to rid ourselves of the p&p? <-I think this is an 'of course' thing but it's never dumb to ask.

Boarding in Pittsburgh, PA.

Thanks for all the support!!!

You MAY have time to try setting it up since, I believe, Pittsburgh is a crew change stop, but I doubt you'll have the time you'll need since Pittsburgh is not a starting point for the CL. If the CL is running late, they'll leave as soon as the crew has switched. Somebody could be left behind.

Plus, I imagine it would be hard to get it up the narrow winding stairs quickly.

This is from RRRick a week ago in in Post #24. . .

"Keep in mind that there normally is a folding chair on a post in the corner where the bag is shown."

. . to explain why the single chair could not be seen in the photo. For all I know, it could have been removed by maintenance and simply never reinstalled! Rawlyrocks still has no real idea whether or not her P&P will fit.

I don't know how That station works. But you could have an extra person go trackside that is staying home. And if it doesn't work. Drop it off with them.

This sounds like a gigantic pain. I, for one, wouldn't want to lug a Pack & Play up and down those stairs, let alone wrestle with it in a bedroom. It's hard enough getting up those stairs with a suitcase. The idea of bringing it up just to test it and then hauling it back down again makes me annoyed and tired, and I'm not even the one doing it. ;)

I would either go with a travel crib or do the pillows/blankets/co-sleep thing.

My friend has this one and absolutely adores it:

51b0811f74c5b675ac0009e3._w.540_s.fit_.JPEG

Back