Pacific Surfliner train configurations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

anditwasGOOD!

What are the car configurations on the Pacific Surfliner trains? Do they have an engine, a cafe car, three or more coaches and a baggage car? Do the seats recline at all in coach? I've heard that a few of the Surfliner trains use something called "Horizon Cars". What are those? What is the train configuration for a Surfliner using Horizon Cars?

I live in Oxnard and I am taking the train and a bus to Paso Robles next week so that is why I am curious.

I am familiar with the Surfliners so I can take a stab at some of your questions. All of the Surfliners (with the exception of trains 798 and 799) use bilvel Surfliner coaches. The Surfliner-equipped trains are usually configured with locomotive - business class - coach/lower level cafe - coach - coach - coach - cab car coach/lower level baggage. The seats recline a bit and are comfortable with adjustable pillow headrests.

Trains 798 and 799 operate with the single level Horizon coaches. The configuration for this train (799 operates from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo then turns around as train 798 from San Luis Obispo to Los Angeles on the same day) is usually locomotive - full baggage car - Horizon biz class/cafe - coach - coach - locomotive. If you opt to take 799 or 798 on your train, the small upgrade price to biz class is well worth it due to the NICE leather reclining seats.

Disagree slightly - surfliners normally operate only with 2 coaches, not 3 (5 car set - cab/coach/coach/diner/business). Extra length (6,7 very rarely 8 or more due to platform lengths) usually only occur on heavy weekends/holidays. Extra cars can be coaches, 2 cabs, 2 cafes, and/or superliners. Don't recall seeing 2 business cars (both surfliners), but it has no doubt occurred.

The standard configuration for Surfliner trains is:

F59PHI

Pacific Business Class Car

Coach/Cafe

Coach

Coach

Coach/Cab/Baggage

This all depends on which direction the train is running (push or pull).

Extra cars including train-lined superliners can be added during peak travel periods.

The exception to this rule is 798/799, which operates only between LAUS and SLO. The last time I saw this train passing through SBA, the consist was:

P42

Heritage Baggage

Horizon Club/Cafe

Horizon Coach

Horizon Coach

Horizon Coach

P42

It is possible that this trainset usually operates with an ex-Metroliner cab car on the other end instead of another pony.

pismobum said:
Don't recall seeing 2 business cars (both surfliners), but it has no doubt occurred.
In January, I rode a very short Surfliner round-trip from LAX to San Juan Capistrano and back (stayed at SNC for about 15-20 minutes).

The return train had a business class car in place of a regular coach. Naturally, I sat in that car.

Back