Pacific Surfliner questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Amy_MC

We are planning our first Amtrak ride for May 25 (Memorial Day weekend). We will be leaving SAN and traveling to Anaheim on the Pacific Surfliner. We have booked Business Class for our family of 4. Being that this is our first train ride, I have several questions! Also open to any feedback that anyone wants to share!

1) How early do we get to the train station? We are staying at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront so it looks like the station is pretty close.
2) I know there are no checked bags - being that this is a 10-day trip, we will have 2 regular-sized suitcases in addition to carry-on suitcases (4 bags total) - is that going to be an issue? I know they advise to pack in smaller bags but we can't handle that many suitcases with the kids.
No issues with the fees for the larger suitcases, I just want to make sure we will be fine with somewhere to store them.
3) Is there a better time to travel? We are currently scheduled on the 10 am departure but open to other times if we should look at changing.

1) 20 mins before departure is normally enough.
2) not an issue there are baggage racks upstairs with even more down stairs
3) Are you trying to connect onto another train or just want to know if there is a better time?

1) 20 mins before departure is normally enough.
2) not an issue there are baggage racks upstairs with even more down stairs
3) Are you trying to connect onto another train or just want to know if there is a better time?
Just if we should consider a different time with crowds, etc!

Just if there is a better time - I don't know what times typically see more traffic or anything like that, especially being a holiday weekend.

Back