OT: I've been workin' on a railroad :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noordam

Train Attendant
header_logo.gif

About three months ago, I got a contract at Norfork Southern to work on a software project about trying to tell when the wheels will brake and fall off... :eek: I really enjoy this contract. I have done software contracting for 20 years and only once in awhile, do I get one at a company that I enjoy the business. I am working in Roanoke, Va and I love the town. NS is a good place to work. OK it is 25 degrees outside and this Florida boy is cold.....

Once a week we had a conference call to the other "roads" that are doing this project, UP, CSX, and CP.

This last Tuesday was very interesting, one of our group's Java programmers spent 4 days learning to drive a cho-cho train :blink: OK he only got to drive one around 400 yards.... But NS send their non union people to a lite training class on train operations. And at our weekly group meeting we spent around 30 laffing over the stories he told..

The class is given by NS engineers who are how do you say a little rough around the edges. But I learned a lot listening to Corey. I had no idea that most NS engineers made "well over" $100,000 per year. Only problem is they can not enjoy the play toys they buy with their work schedule. 12 hours on and can be called back after 8 off......

Part of the course was the old train hits car and car loses videos. Most NS trains now have nose CAMS to record what going on. One fact I found troubling was every year there are a number of cars that hit the SIDE of a freight car. Drivers claim they could not see the train what was in front of them. :blink:

At this link is a copy of the really nice and big calendar NS gave out to everybody. All the pictures are taken by NS employees and most by engineers.

Oh have I told you how much I hate Bush and what he is doing to Amtrak :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back